Wanting to upgrade to loud pipes for my bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wanting to upgrade to loud pipes for my bike

ALD

I ride a 2003 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic with stock pipes and find that they are too quiet, but looking to change these out to a good set to make the bike loud, but not sure which ones to put on.
Would there be someone who has a VStar 1100 with loud pipes who would be willing to meet somewhere so I could get an idea of what the bike sounds like before I put on a set on my bike.

Thanks

Before you spend money on this, know that more municipalities are cracking down on people who put on excessively loud pipes. Oakville and Caledon have passed by-laws regulating motorcycle noise and Toronto is currently strongly considering following suit. Aftermarket pipes can pass, but if you are aiming for loud, you will likely fail and catch tickets.

Before you spend money on this, know that more municipalities are cracking down on people who put on excessively loud pipes. Oakville and Caledon have passed by-laws regulating motorcycle noise and Toronto is currently strongly considering following suit. Aftermarket pipes can pass, but if you are aiming for loud, you will likely fail and catch tickets.

Bylaws that are not really being enforced....I go to Caledon all the time and some of those HD are so loud that it hurts your ears...never seen one being stopped and OPP is usually there looking for speeders. Same with Oakville..

Bylaws that are not really being enforced....I go to Caledon all the time and some of those HD are so loud that it hurts your ears...never seen one being stopped and OPP is usually there looking for speeders. Same with Oakville..

That's what is causing Toronto to hesitate. By-law enforcement officers have no authority to pull over a bike. They need police to help with enforcement. Police budgets are stretched and speeding is much more profitable. Realistically, noise enforcement is only likely to happen during blitzes and the rest of the time is a free for all. Given that, it would be nice if they could pull the plates of offending bikes until they were fixed. Loud bikes hurt us all by bringing on increased hate and regulation and serve no useful purpose.

This forum is so amusing. So many petrified, mundane johnny-law finger wavers that feel compelled to pipe up when anyone modifies anything on their bike. The man wants to have a good sounding exhaust to differentiate himself from every other stock, boring VStar, nothing wrong with that.

My buddy put aftermarket pipes on his V-Star 1100. Sounded like marbles rolling around in an empty paint can on decel!
Easier and cheaper to just remove the baffles from your stock pipes if possible.

Loud bikes hurt us all by bringing on increased hate and regulation and serve no useful purpose.

Lol get out of my face, this is a forum for motorcycles not e bikes.

Cobra, Vance & Hines are most common and best sounding imo. All brands will really sound the same just depends on the length of pipe

Last edited:
This forum is so amusing. So many petrified, mundane johnny-law finger wavers that feel compelled to pipe up when anyone modifies anything on their bike. The man wants to have a good sounding exhaust to differentiate himself from every other stock, boring VStar, nothing wrong with that.

I didn't say don't modify. I said that people modify for the express purpose of making the bike as loud as possible are a*holes and cause the general public to think all riders are a*holes. You can install an aftermarket exhaust that changes the tone of your bike and makes it slightly louder while not pissing off everyone within a few kilometers.

EDIT:
Most aftermarket exhausts with a reasonably sized muffler pass the noise by-laws being implemented so nobody is saying that you have to stay stock. If you start putting on GP exhausts or straight pipes, you can expect to fail.

Last edited:
Op, I have Cobras on my Shadow 750, my buddy had a vstar 110 with slash cut V&H, they sounded very similar. With some basic db apps, my pipes registered ~95db. I like the louder than stock not so loud to piss everyone off option. My neighbors Vette is louder than my bike.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Op, I have Cobras on my Shadow 750, my buddy had a vstar 110 with slash cut V&H, they sounded very similar. With some basic db apps, my pipes registered ~95db. I like the louder than stock not so loud to piss everyone off option. My neighbors Vette is louder than my bike.

I thought you would be going for more...bass and not just extra noise.

I thought you would be going for more...bass and not just extra noise.
I'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble.
(but it's pronounced "Bawss")

YouTube

When I was looking for quiet tires for my SUV that's where I did my research. Seems quite a few people also hate road noise from tires and they had posted up sound clips.

I'm in the same corner as Joe, My Shadow has Cobra, my buddy's Shadow has V&H, they both sound very similar.

As long as you're looking for something "tastefully loud" I'm on the same page. As you've already seen the whole 'loud pipes' argument is a hot button topic here, but it is what it is.

But think long and hard about what you buy as you might find you don't like it. The previous owner of my VTX had installed twin 4" "Big Straights" by Hard Krome. They look spectacular and they sounded great at idle and low load/RPM situations, but quite honestly, the were horribly obnoxious when you rolled into the power - IE, merging on the highway, passing, etc. The "Baffles" are basically straight through pipes with some cheese-grater on the outside walls, but for all intents and purposes they might as well have been straight pipes.

It didn't take many miles after I bought the bike and started riding seriously that they even started to get on *my* nerves, much less people who were riding with me. Since that point I have gone through great time and expense trying to quiet them down with aftermarket baffles, and then reworking even those as they were still too loud. I've finally got it down to a nice tasteful rumble with enough noise that I can be safely heard while in traffic and I roll into the power, but not so much that people are plugging their ears as I pass, and that friends don't want to ride with me anymore.

Moral of the story - had I bought that exhaust, I would have been very ****** with my choice after the fact.

@ALD

Any other mods? a/c etc.

Might have to look at some jetting after the slip ons.

V&H sound great. But I'd go with what ever eBay deal I could find from a reputable brand and roll with it.

Most have quiet baffles you can add for more $ and sound Better than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOUD pipes don't save lives, but loud clutches do (Ducati) or loud valves (Royal Enfield).

Nothing (IMO) is dumber than the clown riding through town with his HogTunes cranked so he can hear it over the racket of his bike's exhaust.

Think twice OP, think twice....

Back
Top Bottom