Update thread; bought the bike, now what!? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Update thread; bought the bike, now what!?

KOSALKA

Hey guys, I bought the 2014 ninja 300 and have the ownership, uvip and bill of sales with me. Bike is currently plated and has a sticker with 'OCT 18' on it, but this is from the previous owner(she didnt care for the plates). No idea if its insured or whatever, but its not registered under my name yet and i currently DO NOT possess a valid insurance slip... :(

So now I need to call up my insurance and get the bike insured correct? I read somewhere about a 14 day thingy where I can get the bike saftied(bike is currently not saftied), how does that exactly work?

I think I need to get insurance first, followed by visiting serviceontario and completing the registration, if there are alternatives please clue me in! This is my first time buying privately and is definetly confusing! XD

Please help me get on the road asap! <3

Last edited:
Call and get insurance, they will email you a temporary card that you can print out. Then you go to MTO, transfer the title and get a temporary permit, this will be your new license plate, with a 'T' sticker on it. You can now ride the bike for 10 days, use that time to get a safety. Once that is done, you can go back to MTO, and get your permanent sticker to attach to that plate.

if you haven't arranged insurance, it's not insured
you can;t legally ride the bike with her plates on it
if you want to start riding it, you need to get it safetied
get some insurance, and go change the reg over to you
pay the taxes, and you'll get plates

the 14 day thingy is a trip permit from MTO
with that and insurance, and a proper DL
you can ride it to a shop to get safetied

I think you have it right. The previous owner should have taken the plate and gotten some money back from service Ontario, but that's not your problem. With valid insurance, and the paperwork you mentioned, you just need to pay for tax and the temporary permit.
There's no way to do it without insurance unless you trailer the bike to the shop and get it certified first. Then you could skip the cost of the temporary permit

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

The plate belongs to the previous owner and they should have kept it. If you were nefarious and rode around with it, she would get dinged for any and all of it....till the cops come after the perp. She could still return the plate and get a refund on the sticker....if you want to be nice and get it back to her. It is not insured for you, even if she still has it covered. Though, if it's still covered, she could be nice and let you ride it to a shop for a safety since it's still in her name or you could take the chance and ride it anyways. Otherwise truck or trailer it to a shop for the safety. Where are you located? You can have it insured by your company before you transfer it at the MTO. Some companies cover a newly purchase vehicle. Take the safety certificate and the signed ownership with your ins. info to the MTO and transfer ownership and get your own plates and sticker. Tax is based on the purchase price...however low it might be, as long as the seller agrees. They might get a letter or 2 asking how much they sold it for....she can just toss them and not respond.

You have to bring the bike to a motorcycle mechanic to get it certified.
Once certified, you need to get insurance, because they will ask if you are changing the ownership fit, or unfit.
If it is fit and you wish to get a plate and sticker, it must be insured. You will need the insurance slip and policy number to fill out on the paperwork.
Hopefully the bike does not need any work to get certified.
Good luck.
Take a course

The above is incorrect.

The above is incorrect.

The only thing that you could construe as incorrect is that you need a motorcycle mechanic to certify it.

What are you talking about?

You need a '31OG' mechanic to certify a motorcycle.

Really. Your sweeping statement that "the above is incorrect " could have been clarified a bit more from the beginning.

Any licensed mechanic who's qualified to do certifications can certify a motorcycle. The only (ideal/proper) requirement is that they hold a motorcycle licence as part of the test is actually a braking test from a speed which wouldn't be normally attainable in a smaller parking lot. It's been proven time and time and time again that this "310G" thing is not true. 310G is simply education specific to motorcycles, but it is NOT a requirement to certify them. Perhaps it should be, but it is not.

And OP, do NOT change the ownership into your name if you want to get a temporary plate/sticker - people continue to spread this bad advice. Once you transfer it into your name without a safety certificate the ownership will be changed to "UNFIT", and at that point you are no longer eligible for a temp permit as the vehicle cannot under any circumstances be operated on any road. If you want a temp you need to get it under the CURRENT ownership (yes, in the sellers name) that states "FIT" on it - the requirements (including FIT status) are clearly documented on the MTO website, but a lot of people fall into the trap of transferring the ownership before the safety only to discover they've inadvertently destroyed their own ability to get a temp after the fact.

And yes, the seller should have kept the plates and could have got 11 months of the cost of their valtag refunded by simply taking it to a Service Ontario with the plate portion of the ownership. And yes, they would continue to be responsible for any and all fees/tickets (407/parking tickets/etc) should someone decide to use the plate nefariously - I can't believe people don't understand this and just willingly give their plates away.

"Any licensed mechanic who's qualified to do certifications can certify a motorcycle. The only (ideal/proper) requirement is that they hold a motorcycle licence as part of the test is actually a braking test from a speed which wouldn't be normally attainable in a smaller parking lot. It's been proven time and time and time again that this "310G" thing is not true. 310G is simply education specific to motorcycles, but it is NOT a requirement to certify them. Perhaps it should be, but it is not."

Try to find one- I have been told some Canadian Tire stores have mechanics on staff that will do it, but don't be holding your breath.

You have to bring the bike to a motorcycle mechanic to get it certified.
Once certified, you need to get insurance, because they will ask if you are changing the ownership fit, or unfit.
If it is fit and you wish to get a plate and sticker, it must be insured. You will need the insurance slip and policy number to fill out on the paperwork.
Hopefully the bike does not need any work to get certified.
Good luck..

You don't need to bring your bike to a "motorcycle mechanic" to get certified. Canadian Tire and Active Green+Ross usually have 1 mechanic on site that can safety motorcycles. So OP, if you don't want to go out of your way to find a motorcycle mechanic, just take it over to CT and they can do it for you in 20 minutes.

I think the OP has limited wrenching abilities.
You people always suggest bringing it to C.T. to certify bikes.
Do they have the ability to repair anything that needs fixing?
Should any newbie trust Canadian Tire to wrench on any bike?
I don't trust them to change wiper blades on my car.

Suggesting newbs to bring bikes to any mechanic is irresponsible and reckless endangerment.

Bring it to a motorcycle mechanic and get the job done correctly.

First time riders need a safe bike.

I would agree that a mechanic who is familiar with motorcycles (but not necessarily a "motorcycle mechanic" however, IE someone who works in a solely motorcycle shop) would be preferential, what I take issue with is the fallacy that only a motorcycle mechanic can actually write motorcycle certifications. That's not the case.

CT generally have a "bike mechanic" who does the safeties - you need a specific appointment when they are in.
Not all their mechanics can certify.

Safety Certificate has nothing to do with getting a bike repaired ...seperate topic entirely.

I have a guy close by that does quick no wait safeties.
My mechanic has big time waiting list for repairs/appointments.

You don't need a motorcycle repair mechanic to get a safety.

Back
Top Bottom