Poll - Tires - Bolt Rspec - Shinko SR777, Metzeler 888/880, Avon Cobra's, Com IIs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Poll - Tires - Bolt Rspec - Shinko SR777, Metzeler 888/880, Avon Cobra's, Com IIs

Poll - Tires - Bolt Rspec - Shinko SR777, Metzeler 888/880, Avon Cobra's, Com IIs

• Metzeler » ME880 120/180

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shinko » SR777 110/180

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Metzeler » ME880 120/180

• Avon » COBRA 120/180

• COMMANDER II 120/180

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

happyfeet

Thank you very much in advance! Planning to get new tires on the 2014 Bolt R-spec. 180 rears for sure (based on many positive forum feedbacks that they are doing fine, and I'm no hot dog aggressive peeler) and a 110 or 120 front (based on most readily available options). Current "orderable",
cheesy.gif
, choices are :

Shinko » SR777 110/90-19, 180/65-16
Metzeler » ME888 110/90-19, 180/60R16
Metzeler » ME880 120/70ZR19, 180/70R16
Avon » COBRA 120/70R19 (AV71), 180/70R16 (AV72)
Michelin » COMMANDER II 120/70ZR19, 180/65-B16

Most 180 and 110/120 tires are heavier rating than stock. Have you found this to be a problem (i.e. if it requires more weight to grip then maybe there is a noticeable issue worth avoiding and keep the stocks).

Many posts have been over the past three years. Great info but I just wanted to see if there are some updates. I would greatly appreciate you input and advice. My priorities are 1) traction (in good and inclement weather, even some possible rocks and gravel exposure), 2) comfort, 3) longevity (happy with 5-10k). Willing to pay higher price if it actually means that much more quality/performance.

Thx

You have the Metzler 880's listed twice and no 888. I hear good things about the Commander II's and the ME888. Both do well for traction and longevity but are definitely higher priced than Shinko. From what I hear Shinko has great traction but poor longevity. Since you don't have the 888's listed I'll vote for the Commander II's. This info from friends that have all three tires on their bikes. I will be putting a set on next year and am going with the Metzler ME888's.

Poor longevity on the Shinkos?

My 777 front that I put on last year has over 24,000KM on it now and is still probably at 30% still, maybe more.

Very impressed with its performance as well - I've rode at least a thousand K in the rain on it (probably more after this season, ugh), gravel roads, sandy roads, and at least 2 roads where I really had no business going on a 1000# cruiser (loose rock/small boulders, sand and gravel mixes, washouts...long story, but we were on a mission!) and it's been perfectly reliable.

Doesn't hunt in tar snakes, and great traction wet and dry.

I was so impressed after last season I put a matching 777 on the rear this spring and it too is performing perfectly as well in over 15,000KM this season.

Thanks for the great detail. Constantly there have been really good reviews about the Shinkos. Putting the name brand and money aside sometime pure objectivity is really hard to come by. So getting info from users of different tires is really valuable.

Poor longevity on the Shinkos?

My 777 front that I put on last year has over 24,000KM on it now and is still probably at 30% still, maybe more.

Very impressed with its performance as well - I've rode at least a thousand K in the rain on it (probably more after this season, ugh), gravel roads, sandy roads, and at least 2 roads where I really had no business going on a 1000# cruiser (loose rock/small boulders, sand and gravel mixes, washouts...long story, but we were on a mission!) and it's been perfectly reliable.

Doesn't hunt in tar snakes, and great traction wet and dry.

I was so impressed after last season I put a matching 777 on the rear this spring and it too is performing perfectly as well in over 15,000KM this season.

I can't seem to be able to change it! One's supposed to be the 888.

You have the Metzler 880's listed twice and no 888. I hear good things about the Commander II's and the ME888. Both do well for traction and longevity but are definitely higher priced than Shinko. From what I hear Shinko has great traction but poor longevity. Since you don't have the 888's listed I'll vote for the Commander II's. This info from friends that have all three tires on their bikes. I will be putting a set on next year and am going with the Metzler ME888's.

Cammander II's are quite good. I replaced my Dunlop E3's with the C-II's as most reviews put them as similar grip but with much better life. I managed 18k on the E3's and wore the sides of the front first before swapping them. Have about 9k so far with the C-II's and they have great grip, don't get unsettled by tar snakes as bad as the others, and have a nice stiff sidewall which is nice on this heavy bike. No complaints, I'd recommend them.
Good reviews on the Cobra's but everyone says they wear much faster.

I am currently rolling on metzler 888's. No compliants. I just think its time to swap to new tires.

Looked at shinkos and thought the reviews were good. Looking for a sportier tire than 888's and ones that are more rounder profile at the rear for quicker turn in (if such exists)

Last edited:
I am currently rolling on metzler 888's. No compliants. I just think its time to swap to new tires.

Looked at shinkos and thought the reviews were good. Looking for a sportier tire than 888's and ones that are more rounder profile at the rear for quicker turn in (if such exists)
I had room on my bagger for 1 size up in profile on the rear so that's what I did. Raised the rear just enough to sharpen the steering and it was a huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom