Question about RACE classes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about RACE classes

Clem

When I lived in BC I was a member of the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club. Unfortunately Westwood its self is a sub division now, but the club raced at Mission.

I have a 1982 RD350LC that I used to race there. It has a 370 Farhon motor with the triple exhaust ports and I could run it in 3 classes - Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Twins and Formula Classic.

It seems there are a number of classes in RACE where it could run it - Lightweight Sportsman, Lightweight Superbike, Lost Era, Old Boys, etc. I went and watched the September round of RACE but was a little confused as to what classes actually ran.

I guess my question is would there be enough competitive machinery out there to have some fun?

When I lived in BC I was a member of the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club. Unfortunately Westwood its self is a sub division now, but the club raced at Mission.

I have a 1982 RD350LC that I used to race there. It has a 370 Farhon motor with the triple exhaust ports and I could run it in 3 classes - Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Twins and Formula Classic.

It seems there are a number of classes in RACE where it could run it - Lightweight Sportsman, Lightweight Superbike, Lost Era, Old Boys, etc. I went and watched the September round of RACE but was a little confused as to what classes actually ran.

I guess my question is would there be enough competitive machinery out there to have some fun?

The rules / classes will be redone for 2018.

What was confusing about the classes that ran?

I'm not sure if I spoke with you at the track or not as a few people did stop by to chat.

Calling Justin as he will be here shortly to help with your classes for your bike.

The rules / classes will be redone for 2018.

What was confusing about the classes that ran?

I'm not sure if I spoke with you at the track or not as a few people did stop by to chat.

Calling Justin as he will be here shortly to help with your classes for your bike.

I am here.

OP- The RD350LC would Qualify you for LWT Sportsman, and LWT Superbike as your competitive classes but you could bump into LWT Twins as well.

From the mods that you have said, any other class wouldn't be competitive at all. In some cases RACE will run "Vintage" but only at Round 1 or 5.

If you wanted to run in the VRRA, the RD350LC has been slotted into Period 3 middleweight vs KZ750s and GS750s as the bike is deemed "To easy to make fast" by VRRA standards to run in the traditional LWT P3 class with the GPz550s and CBX550s. Which is why you dont see to many RDLCs out there.

Come out to RACE, the bike would be a rocketship in LWT Sportsman.

Thanks Guys.

I was confused as when I was looking through this years results it seemed that, for example, sometimes there was a vintage class and sometimes not. I'm assuming that if there are no class entries then there is no race... LOL

LWT Sportsman would be interesting. Seems comparable to Middleweight Twins in WRMC and it was always quite competitive in that.

I had thought about the VRRA but the bike is not legal as its over their displacement limit. The last time I had the the carbs set up it dynoed at around 70hp which is not bad if you had to race against a GPZ750. Although I would imagine a GPZ would be well into the 70's without spending a cent on it.

I'm going to give it a good going over in the winter and see if I can make it out. Shannonville is very like Mission as its flat and twisty with a couple of long straights. Everything seemed to be really well organised, I was quite impressed.

Come out to RACE, the bike would be a rocketship in LWT Sportsman.

Yes, maybe the bike, perhaps not the rider... LOL

Bakaboy, I did chat to a few people. What were you riding?

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

I was confused as when I was looking through this years results it seemed that, for example, sometimes there was a vintage class and sometimes not. I'm assuming that if there are no class entries then there is no race... LOL

LWT Sportsman would be interesting. Seems comparable to Middleweight Twins in WRMC and it was always quite competitive in that.

I had thought about the VRRA but the bike is not legal as its over their displacement limit. The last time I had the the carbs set up it dynoed at around 70hp which is not bad if you had to race against a GPZ750. Although I would imagine a GPZ would be well into the 70's without spending a cent on it.

I'm going to give it a good going over in the winter and see if I can make it out. Shannonville is very like Mission as its flat and twisty with a couple of long straights. Everything seemed to be really well organised, I was quite impressed.

HP will only go so far on an RD chassis. Also (speaking from a lot of experience) they go bang a lot over 70hp.

The VRRA is a great place to go and race period racebikes vs period racebike, but the RD gets screwed by the rule book because of amazing the bike was back in 81 when it came out.

Your middleweight Twins class would be more on par with LWT Twins at RACE (SV650s, ER6F, FZ07s) the LWT Sportsman class, is very much a mix of old vintage stuff (FZR400s, GSXR400s, EX500s) mixed with Modern 300-400s (R3s, RC390s, Ninja 300s) The older bikes have the top end and HP but the new bikes, have the advantage of having chassis not made out of butter. So it evens things out a lot.

Thanks Guys.

I was there with my kids. We were in 9 of the races.

Walker #112, #44, #14

Depends if you were there Sat or Sunday as to the fact of whether you saw us show well or not. I won lost Era heavy Sat but just couldn't stay ahead of the R1 Sunday due that back straight.

HP will only go so far on an RD chassis. Also (speaking from a lot of experience) they go bang a lot over 70hp.

The VRRA is a great place to go and race period racebikes vs period racebike, but the RD gets screwed by the rule book because of amazing the bike was back in 81 when it came out.

Your middleweight Twins class would be more on par with LWT Twins at RACE (SV650s, ER6F, FZ07s) the LWT Sportsman class, is very much a mix of old vintage stuff (FZR400s, GSXR400s, EX500s) mixed with Modern 300-400s (R3s, RC390s, Ninja 300s) The older bikes have the top end and HP but the new bikes, have the advantage of having chassis not made out of butter. So it evens things out a lot.

Yes, the frame was quite flexible. I had Denis Curtis from CMR brace and re-weld most of it and it made a huge difference.

I also got the motor from Farhon in the UK and they use the RZ350 crank with TZ350 big and small ends. They have to shave off the lips on the crank wheels to get it to fit in the cases but I think that was by far the best upgrade I ever bought.

I was there with my kids. We were in 9 of the races.

Walker #112, #44, #14

Depends if you were there Sat or Sunday as to the fact of whether you saw us show well or not. I won lost Era heavy Sat but just couldn't stay ahead of the R1 Sunday due that back straight.

No, but will definitly search you out the next time

Yes, the frame was quite flexible. I had Denis Curtis from CMR brace and re-weld most of it and it made a huge difference.

I also got the motor from Farhon in the UK and they use the RZ350 crank with TZ350 big and small ends. They have to shave off the lips on the crank wheels to get it to fit in the cases but I think that was by far the best upgrade I ever bought.

Yeah, so with those TZ350 mods....the VRRA would make you run in P3H or P4f3. It puts you out against 145hp GS1000s and TZ700s

It's a vintage bike for which the "official" place to race vintage bikes (VRRA) isn't a good choice. You'll be put into classes with much larger bikes.

I have no knowledge of what RACE is going to do to their class structure next year. For that matter, I have no knowledge of what SOAR will do, either (more below). If you want to travel west out of Toronto rather than east (Same distance), at SOAR, that bike under current rules would be eligible for Vintage, and Lightweight Superbike, which are the same two classes that I enter with my FZR400, both of which run every weekend and both of which could use more entries. I'm planning to do the same next year.

The Twins classes are really meant for four-stroke bikes. At one time, that was stipulated in the rule book so that Grand Prix bikes wouldn't enter and dominate. Don't recall if that's still the case and I have to run out, so I can't check the rulebook right now. It can be looked up at www.soaracing.ca

Lost Era in its current definition means 12 years old and more. In 2018 unless something changes in the rules structure, the 2006 Yamaha R6 will be eligible for Lost Era Lightweight. Several quite modern litre bikes are eligible right now for Lost Era Heavy. Basically these classes will become 600 and Superbike heat 2 but with a few of the newer bikes missing, unless something changes in the rule structure. There's a reason that VRRA has set periods based on model years that don't change ...

It's a vintage bike for which the "official" place to race vintage bikes (VRRA) isn't a good choice. You'll be put into classes with much larger bikes.

I have no knowledge of what RACE is going to do to their class structure next year. For that matter, I have no knowledge of what SOAR will do, either (more below). If you want to travel west out of Toronto rather than east (Same distance), at SOAR, that bike under current rules would be eligible for Vintage, and Lightweight Superbike, which are the same two classes that I enter with my FZR400, both of which run every weekend and both of which could use more entries. I'm planning to do the same next year.

The Twins classes are really meant for four-stroke bikes. At one time, that was stipulated in the rule book so that Grand Prix bikes wouldn't enter and dominate. Don't recall if that's still the case and I have to run out, so I can't check the rulebook right now. It can be looked up at www.soaracing.ca

Lost Era in its current definition means 12 years old and more. In 2018 unless something changes in the rules structure, the 2006 Yamaha R6 will be eligible for Lost Era Lightweight. Several quite modern litre bikes are eligible right now for Lost Era Heavy. Basically these classes will become 600 and Superbike heat 2 but with a few of the newer bikes missing, unless something changes in the rule structure. There's a reason that VRRA has set periods based on model years that don't change ...

Thanks Brian. I will check out the SOAR rules when I get home

Checking now. All of the possible bike combinations in HW and LW BOTT ("battle of the twins") refer to "valves" ... implying four stroke, even if that's only stated explicitly for some of them.

It's legit in Lost Era although it's ambiguous whether it would be in HW or LW.

Vintage is written as having a HW and LW classification but in reality it's run and scored as one class ... not enough entries.

It's fine in LW Superbike.

This is based on how the rules have been for 2017.

Back
Top Bottom