Another Fallen Rider Near Havelock, ON | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another Fallen Rider Near Havelock, ON

Hwy. 7 is far too busy to remain a two-lane high-access road. A low access 4-lane is long overdue. I rode up to Ottawa last week on 7 and counted 3 drivers over the line (3ft no less) playing with their dash gadgets or texting. This woman drove right into the motorcycle's right of way from the description. RIP.

So tragic! RIP Rider. Condolences to family and friends.

Penalties for causing death or injury due to driver negligence must be made more severe.

Last edited:
^ True ... and then you always here on the media about how the bikers "need to slow down, etc." like most of these are our fault.

I will say this though after almost getting clipped by a pickup truck going the other way as we both approached a hill - I move over to the other side of the road or centre lane when I approach vehicles. I remember when learning in-class to stay in the left tire track (single lane) as idiotic ... teach you stuff about "the blocking position". I always thought that in some cases it's more the "easiest to be hit position". Makes no sense these days when people can't stay between the lines.

Definitely the car's fault if what Roadghost says is true but I'll use common sense over some outdated rules they teach you these days in class when riding ... always go with the best odds when riding and for me that's away from car's approaching not 3 or so feet away from them.

I remember when learning in-class to stay in the left tire track (single lane) as idiotic ... teach you stuff about "the blocking position". I always thought that in some cases it's more the "easiest to be hit position". Makes no sense these days when people can't stay between the lines.

Blocking position still matters 99% of the time, as the reasoning is if you are there, you are leaving the rest of your lane as the 'oh ****' buffer, that you can use if needed. If you are in the other tire track, you have almost no lane to use should something be headed at you. Centre of lane is not recommended as if a vehicle leaks anything, it goes here, so you are more likely to deal with coolant, oil, etc.

That said, it is smart to move over when approaching a blind crest, as you don't know what might be coming the other way that cannot see you. Same could be said for intersections, as the safest tire track to be in is the one that lets you see any left-turning cars (and also lets them see you). Blocking position is the 'rule', but as always, there are exceptions to that rule when (briefly) required.

RIP rider.

I have had too many close calls with people crossing center line. Now I switch tire tracks when vehicles are approaching. It's habit now.

RIP rider.

I have had too many close calls with people crossing center line. Now I switch tire tracks when vehicles are approaching. It's habit now.

Exactly! Anyone approaching wanting to pass slower traffic in your lane (country road) will easily see you too.

RIP rider.

RIP rider.

I have had too many close calls with people crossing the centre line. Now I switch tire tracks when vehicles are approaching. It's habit now.

I started doing that recently, especially when approaching a hill and can't see what's coming on the other side. However, when people ride in a group they tend to stick to their assigned track. This is a potential hazard for the bikes on the left track. Three major accidents this year alone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom