One week in Southeast Asia, where to? | GTAMotorcycle.com

One week in Southeast Asia, where to?

regder

Site Supporter
Had great advice on my last trip, so let's try again. Thinking of visiting Southeast Asia for the first time for one week, middle of October.

I'm not much for tourist sights. Looking for a somewhat authentic local experience, interesting big cities, good local night life.

I defaulted to Thailand, but am hesitant as it seems to be too tourist focused. Vietnam is another strong contender.

Whichever country I pick, will not be staying in one city, but will be bouncing around.

Appreciate any advice.

Is 1 week firm? For many folks, that represents not an awful lot of time to shake off a transcontinental flight's cobwebs and start enjoying a vacation. Call it missing on a day on the front and end of that 7 days.

If you still want to do it, you're likely to hit some rain in the middle of October in either of those two countries.

Are you looking for riding advice or general vacation advice? A few of us on this board including myself have done moto riding on the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Vietnam and the Mae Hong Son Loop in Northern Thailand so someone should be able to assist there if that's what you are looking for. Also that adv board has plenty of info on that front.

Lightcycle can help you.Gene and Neda are wise in the ways of what you need to know.http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...old-our-home-and-everything-in-it-gone-riding

Was hoping they would chime in for general information, but yes, will definitely try to get in contact with them.

Is 1 week firm? For many folks, that represents not an awful lot of time to shake off a transcontinental flight's cobwebs and start enjoying a vacation. Call it missing on a day on the front and end of that 7 days.

If you still want to do it, you're likely to hit some rain in the middle of October in either of those two countries.

Are you looking for riding advice or general vacation advice? A few of us on this board including myself have done moto riding on the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Vietnam and the Mae Hong Son Loop in Northern Thailand so someone should be able to assist there if that's what you are looking for. Also that adv board has plenty of info on that front.

While I said a week, it's actually going to be about 9 days total, but travel time is going to steal two of those days.

This is just going to be a vacation, don't think I'll be renting a moto, but it's always an option.

Bali is nice, I've been there a few times. I was born in Jakarta. I wouldn't recommend Jakarta (big cities) but Bali is nice. Tropical rain forest, beautiful beaches, India ocean, exotic birds flying over your head. You might even be able to swim with Dolphins. You speak other language? is this your first time to Asia? Be careful drinking water and local drinks there when you mingle with the local. Their stomach is different they can handle the bacteria in the water. My Canadian cousin got sick from drinking the water and has to be rushed to hospital. Drink bottled water and international alcoholic beverages.

Did 9 days in Thailand back in May of this year. Included a 5 day motorcycle road trip in Northern Thailand, 740kms and 1,800+ curves (Mae Hong Son Loop).

Let me know if you have questions.

did a month in Thailand a few years ago, and didn't think that was enough, but to each is own I guess, if you are going to Thailand you are likely landing in Bangkok and you could easily spend all of your time exploring it, otherwise go north to Chiang Mai for a more relaxed time (amazing riding routes if you are renting a bike), or go south to Krabi, Koh Samui (and surrounding islands), you are gonna want to fly to those places as train / bus will eat up huge chunks of your time, and flights are fairly inexpensive, I personally hated Phuket and don't recommend it to others

Not really South East Asia but I did Japan last year and it was a ball.

Beautiful scenery, modern roads, amazing food and people.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I personally hated Phuket and don't recommend it to others

Thanks for the advice everyone. What did you hate about Phuket?

haven't been there, but worked an overseas assignment around 10 years ago
most of the young dudes I worked with would go there on leave
they'd have to go the clinic upon return to stop it from falling off

of the 2 places you mentioned in first post
I'd put Nam at the top, the history and scenery
I've heard the Museum of American Aggression, is a must see
but it's been renamed since diplomacy has returned

It's pretty much where you go to party and get laid. I'd say head to Krabi or the other islands in the south for a better time.

I didn't enjoy Bangkok that much, everyone tries to make a buck off you and it gets annoying. I don't recommend staying for more then a few days, you don't need more then that to see the sights anyways.

+1 for Chiang Mai. You can take an overnight train from Bangkok and it's a nice experience. However, previous poster is correct, fly whenever possible if timelines are important.

Thanks again for all the advice. Flight is booked into Bangkok, will be on the ground for 7 days. Flying into Bangkok was the best option price wise and gives me a decent layover in Paris.

Haven't decided whether to stay in Thailand or hop a flight to Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

FYI, you'll need a visa to go to Vietnam or Cambodia if you are flying on your CDN passport. You may be able to get a Visa On Arrival if you want to chance it.

FYI, you'll need a visa to go to Vietnam or Cambodia if you are flying on your CDN passport. You may be able to get a Visa On Arrival if you want to chance it.

Haven't looked into Cambodia much, but the Vietnam visa can be obtained on entry or online.

way too touristy for my liking especially where we stayed Patong beach, mind you I may have had a different opinion had we stayed at a different beach.
I'd head over to the other coast and check out Koh Samui, Koh Phagnan and Koh Tao, they are 30min ferry ride from each other and all have a completely different feel to them

Got back last week. Had a great time outside of the unbelievable heat, every single day the humidex was 45+. Only got a little bit better in the evenings.

Cool experience, good and cheap street food. Ended up hitting Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai (rented a Bonneville to get there, worth it!), and Pattaya.

The ride from Chiang Mai to Pai was a definite highlight.

Back
Top Bottom