SMP Sep 30th | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SMP Sep 30th

How much is a 300(race ready)? And the info I look up on the site about RACE is very much limited. I assuming when you said join you at Shannonville it must be the RACE series. More info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
A race weekend is WAY more value, experience and FUN than just a track day or two (for the "right" ppl that is...its not for everyone). For the cost of participating (not sure what that is right now but def more value/track time than a trackday), u get the Friday practice (I could be wrong about Fri being included), Sat sessions/qualifying and Sun morn sessions and races! The additional cost come in the form of tires, parts, fuel, etc. (All of which increase exponentially the faster u get ) The competition and skills u'll pick up as far as learning to ride fast r second to none ☺

First thing u'll need to do is get ur race license. See link below:

http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.race

After than, race prep ur bike. Lots of ppl at the track and here that can help u figure/sort that out. Since u asked for info, download the PDF that's linked to in the following web page:

http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.rules

It's 42 pgs of all the info on the R.A.C.E. SuperSeries you could ever want

Finally, the last thing u should really do to prep for ur racing "career", if u haven't already, is attend a race weekend (Sunday race day for sure but preferably Sat qualifying also).

Hope the above helps ☺ It's really only just the tip of the iceberg to be able to dip ur feet into motorcycle racing but it should get u started in the right direction

Also look at info for S.O.A.R. and CSBK. Whether you decide to race in those series or not, the info to get started racing is all transferable.

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

What are considered decent 600 lap times on long track? I know I have seen some race results in the low 50's but how about an average time for track days.

There was a green 300 there on Saturday that was incredibly fast - was that any of you?

Green 300 was more than likely Dwayne #249. I think he went down in this race but was posting 2:06 before he did. Looks like 4th fastest lap times. Dwayne also started racing this season. Not sure of his track experience prior to that though.
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4629950

How much is a 300(race ready)? And the info I look up on the site about RACE is very much limited. I assuming when you said join you at Shannonville it must be the RACE series. More info would be greatly appreciated

There's a CSBK nationals Ninja 300 spec bike for sale (Bakaboy) for 5k. All the race trim, power commander, full suspension upgrades hindle pipe etc.
There are others for 3k-ish but do not have all the good stuff with them.

The additional cost come in the form of tires, parts, fuel, etc. (All of which increase exponentially the faster u get ) The competition and skills u'll pick up as far as learning to ride fast r second to none ☺

Also look at info for S.O.A.R. and CSBK. Whether you decide to race in those series or not, the info to get started racing is all transferable.

AJ

Tires on a 300 are a fraction of the cost. Maybe 2 sets a season max? VS almost every weekend on a 600.
Plus, you don't need warmers and a generator on a small bike.

SOAR doesn't have very many small bikes. Mostly 600s and 1000s. CSBK nationals will have strong small bike grids next year but is a jump up in skill level. Anyone can join, but might be good to hold that thought until you have a handful of regional race weekends under your belt at the very least.

Tires on a 300 are a fraction of the cost. Maybe 2 sets a season max? VS almost every weekend on a 600.
Plus, you don't need warmers and a generator on a small bike.

SOAR doesn't have very many small bikes. Mostly 600s and 1000s. CSBK nationals will have strong small bike grids next year but is a jump up in skill level. Anyone can join, but might be good to hold that thought until you have a handful of regional race weekends under your belt at the very least.
Good points I should have clarified more that I feel there is good info available through both those organizations on getting started in racing that would be worth looking at despite not immediately looking to race in those series. So to be clear, I am in no way suggesting anyone to jump into any situation where they would be uncomfortable, unsafe or uncompetitive. Do ur research, due diligence, budget, etc. and figure out ur comfort level AND THEN decide what and where u wanna race.

AJ

(not sure what that is right now but def more value/track time than a trackday),

I agree on the value in terms of the experience you get from it, but you most definitely don't get more track time on a race day than you would at a track day, people looking to get maximum laps for their $$ should stick to track days, or endurance racing.

I agree on the value in terms of the experience you get from it, but you most definitely don't get more track time on a race day than you would at a track day, people looking to get maximum laps for their $$ should stick to track days, or endurance racing.

Pretty close though. If you register for 2 classes on a 300 (lightweight production and lightweight sportsman), plus Friday practice, it's about $280 from what I recall. That gets you:
Friday practice (basically a lapping day - usually 6-7 sessions)
Saturday and Sunday combined - 3 to 4 practice sessions and 4 - apx. 15 minute races

And if you pay for your license early enough (think it's February-ish), you get a free testing/practice day at the beginning of the season.

If you've already done FAST or Racer5, you do not need to do the race day training to get your license. Just have to show your certificate and pay for the license.

At 180lbs would a 300 even be worth the purchase? Or just jump down to a 600 set up for track?

I weigh 175 and was riding a 250. If I'm on my period and retaining water, maybe a bit more. There are a handful of guys in and around the same weight. It's not a big deal unless you're shaving pounds for World Supersport 300. Your skill will be a far more determining factor than your weight.

Only reason I got a 300 is for the CSBK nationals next year, otherwise I'd still be on the 250. This season, I was able to dip in the 2:11's on long track on the 250. The extra 10 hp between the 250 and 300 is a big difference (like %30 more power in the same weight). If you start with a 300, you'll be fine.

edit: just saying my laptimes on the 250 for reference...not to brag. Because they're far from brag worthy haha. I've only done 1 full season spread across two calendar years. No track days before racing. Jumped right in to it because I saw the value and ability to learn more.

Last edited:
At 180lbs would a 300 even be worth the purchase?
I'm 230ish ;) and raced a 250 with Owen and the others in RACE.

Is it worth it? Yes. It's worth it because it teaches you how to maintain corner speed. With a smaller displacement bike you don't have a punch of horsepower to make up for throwing an anchor on corner entry.

I'm 230ish ;) and raced a 250 with Owen and the others in RACE.

Is it worth it? Yes. It's worth it because it teaches you how to maintain corner speed. With a smaller displacement bike you don't have a punch of horsepower to make up for throwing an anchor on corner entry.

Wow. Not making fun but if you say it's fun and I was worried at 180 then these bikes must be a blast. Hope you guys can help out if I do get a 300. Only see one on kijij atm and need to sell my BMW e36. Comes with m3 motor and a spare 2.5 same engine just not 3L

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

At 180lbs would a 300 even be worth the purchase? Or just jump down to a 600 set up for track?

I am 240lbs and raced a 400 for years in the lwt class, and only this year went to a SV650.

As Owen said. Club racing is the beer league of motorcycle racing.

As far as TD vs Racing cost is concerned. TDs are cheaper, but minimally cheaper. A race weekend at Shannonville for me (Friday to Sunday) is cheaper than 1 Day at Bogie.

Also people seem to forget you dont require a 600 or 1000 to go racing. I race every year, all 5 rounds for $2500. Thats the cost of a full race pipe for a bloody S1000RR

I actually went to my first ever TD a few weeks back with Rider Choice (15 years of racing, never did a TD) and I was surprised at the sheer amount of money people were spending on 1199, S1000RR, R1M, etc....just to lap the long track slower than guys on Ninja 300s. Or guys who would show up with warmer, truck, toy hauler, etc for 1 day.

You dont need to spend THAT much money to race and enjoy yourself.

I am slow as **** and I still have fun every weekend I am there, because you join a RACE family.

JoeyB, Bakaboy, Owen, Opo, all guys who I would have never ever met, but racing made us all "friends" lol who bench race and shoot the **** over the winter.

Race fees are about the same as a pay-at-the-gate track day but spread across 2 days.

your math is a little off, 2 pay at the gate days are $320 at SMP or GBM

your math is a little off, 2 pay at the gate days are $320 at SMP or GBM

Race weekend at Shannonville.....Friday practice $140+1st class $130 + 2nd class $80 is $350. For 3 days of racing. Friday is 7 session, saturday is 2 session plus 2 heat races, sunday is 1 session and 2 finals.

I am 240lbs and raced a 400 for years in the lwt class, and only this year went to a SV650.

As Owen said. Club racing is the beer league of motorcycle racing.

As far as TD vs Racing cost is concerned. TDs are cheaper, but minimally cheaper. A race weekend at Shannonville for me (Friday to Sunday) is cheaper than 1 Day at Bogie.

Also people seem to forget you dont require a 600 or 1000 to go racing. I race every year, all 5 rounds for $2500. Thats the cost of a full race pipe for a bloody S1000RR

I actually went to my first ever TD a few weeks back with Rider Choice (15 years of racing, never did a TD) and I was surprised at the sheer amount of money people were spending on 1199, S1000RR, R1M, etc....just to lap the long track slower than guys on Ninja 300s. Or guys who would show up with warmer, truck, toy hauler, etc for 1 day.

You dont need to spend THAT much money to race and enjoy yourself.

I am slow as **** and I still have fun every weekend I am there, because you join a RACE family.

JoeyB, Bakaboy, Owen, Opo, all guys who I would have never ever met, but racing made us all "friends" lol who bench race and shoot the **** over the winter.

they are 2 completely different things really, and both are really fun.

how people spend their $$ is their problem, some people have no interest in riding a 300, instead they want to see how much they can push their $25k superbike in a safe environment, and if they want to do it out of the comfort of their $50k toy hauler that's also their problem, whatever keeps em off the crack pipe....I don't judge

Race weekend at Shannonville.....Friday practice $140+1st class $130 + 2nd class $80 is $350. For 3 days of racing. Friday is 7 session, saturday is 2 session plus 2 heat races, sunday is 1 session and 2 finals.

right, so if you count your Sat and Sun races as 1 session each, your cost per session is $30, vs a track day as SMP which is $20, once you add the Friday and average it out it gets it to about $25. Someone made a statement that you get more track time during a race weekend......which is wrong

right, so if you count your Sat and Sun races as 1 session each, your cost per session is $30, vs a track day as SMP which is $20, once you add the Friday and average it out it gets it to about $25. Someone made a statement that you get more track time during a race weekend......which is wrong

Cost wise. Yes you are right.

But from the sheer amount of red flags, I have seen during Track days (how many good laps could the riders put in on the 30ths?) the cost per lap is totally different.

There are far fewer red flags, and incidents that need cleaning up racing, than on track days.

they are 2 completely different things really, and both are really fun.

how people spend their $$ is their problem, some people have no interest in riding a 300, instead they want to see how much they can push their $25k superbike in a safe environment, and if they want to do it out of the comfort of their $50k toy hauler that's also their problem, whatever keeps em off the crack pipe....I don't judge

I want to push my bike but hold back. Only ride maybe 70%. Guys that are much faster then me that I lap with always talk about their bikes getting loose. Not once have I spun my tire up or lost the front from over braking. This I thank my many years racing DH and my throttle control to 20years running large hoes in tight delicate areas. But one thing I do mess up a lot is my left hand corners and slow tight turns. A 300 would help me smooth that out with out the fear of crashing my commuter bike. But your so right, who's to judge how one spends their money if it keeps them off that crack. This throttle heroin is way better ;)

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom