SMP Sep 30th | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SMP Sep 30th

This was before lunch. At 5:30 we all get help up. The guy in white should never have been in yellow group. 15 seconds later he goes down. They then he pushed his bike off the track and got it stuck in the mud.

[video=youtube_share;6PU92rXvlzU]https://youtu.be/6PU92rXvlzU[/video]

Youre in yellow...just pass him. Or would that be too close for you?

Lolol ur telling me Most of that though is wanting to keep the bike looking sexy Gonna get a track weapon that I can thrash around with no regard for next year so at least I can put down respectable times

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Yes, she is a sexy beast! I would probably do the same, I just don't want to hit the ground anymore.

The reason why there were so many crashes has less to do with Track day heros, and more to do with the Cold temps. You all would have been losing heat from your tires out there, rather than gaining. So the track surface was a little glass like.

Combine that with people that like to push hard and WIN the track day....you end up with a few red flags.

I was there on a Sunday at the end of June and it was the same story, but you are 100% right about the cold temps not helping

TMP is worse. One of the reasons I don't go there anymore. Too many street heroes.

its unfortunate because I like not having to take days off to go to the track, but what are you gonna do.

I think next year will be a lot more of Bogie, and a lot less of everything else

Very cool video. I'm gonna say that lean angle indicator is out of calibration though. I don't think I saw it go over 25 degrees, but watching the horizon tells a whole different story? Nice riding.

Ya, it's using the bikes gyro ECU reading in degrees. Not sure how or why the gauge interprets the readings that way but I feel its still cool to have on there :p

AJ

What a great day. Morning was frigid. So many incidents throughout the day, seemed like every session there was someone going off track. Very bizarre. A couple riders collided on the back straight --they red flagged the session while both attempted to get back on.. saw 2 guys dump their bikes in the pit area --very odd; didn't see the rider who lost control on the front straight -fluid everywhere!
The last session crash I understand was the worst of the day. Heard rider lost his brakes on the back straight and went into the fence. wow! he must have been going fast. ambulance took him straight to hospital. saw his bike shortly thereafter --looked completely destroyed! what a crazy day of carnage!

Ya, I met the guys that had an incident coming out of the hairpin/corner #10. It's actually captured in this video and ended the session early...

AJ

[video=youtube_share;JPaqrREJllA]https://youtu.be/JPaqrREJllA[/video]

It was only my second track day on a bike, first being with the FAST school, and I couldn't believe how many riders went down. I honestly lost count after the first 10, so I am guessing 15-20 separate incidents. :-? I actually asked my neighbours if it was normal and they all said they were surprised too. One of those neighbours happened to be the guy whose bike cartwheeled down the front straight. The last one was gnarly from what I heard, but I was told he was ok..

I can see where it seemed much worse than it was. There really were only 3 real "incidents" and the rest were minor in nature (no disrespect to those riders and any damage they sustained on their bikes), ie. people running off, not being confident due to cold track conditions, etc. Other than the 3 mentioned, any other reds flags were just to quickly pick up bikes from impact areas and were really short. Case and point is that I know that all groups had 7 full sessions for the day which most frequent trackday riders will tell you is not bad at all. Just my observations having been on both sides of the coin...as a organizer and rider/participant/customer.

AJ

The reason why there were so many crashes has less to do with Track day heros, and more to do with the Cold temps. You all would have been losing heat from your tires out there, rather than gaining. So the track surface was a little glass like.

Combine that with people that like to push hard and WIN the track day....you end up with a few red flags.

First RACE weekend in early May this year was similar. Cold pavement in the morning and there was about 8 people down by lunch time, if I remember correctly. First RACE weekend = horny riders....last track day = horny riders.

This was before lunch. At 5:30 we all get help up. The guy in white should never have been in yellow group. 15 seconds later he goes down. They then he pushed his bike off the track and got it stuck in the mud.

[video=youtube_share;6PU92rXvlzU]https://youtu.be/6PU92rXvlzU[/video]

I still think you should sell your 600 supersport and get a 300 to progress more effectively.

You're probably right about that guy but your clean lap in the video was still at 2:18-ish. Let's be generous and knock 2 seconds of that for the minor slow-down in the hairpin for the yellow flag, so a 2:16.

So on your 600, that would put you in 17th of 19 riders....in the 300 class.
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4624227

Maybe watch the main post video. I hold my own and have only been at this track thing for 4 months. Would love to go back and do some things over. Never was I ever planing to do track riding. I would say top 20 after 4 months vs racers that make a real effort to go as fast as they can is a complement. How was your month 4 on a bike?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Maybe watch the main post video. I hold my own and have only been at this track thing for 4 months. Would love to go back and do some things over. Never was I ever planing to do track riding. I would say top 20 after 4 months vs racers that make a real effort to go as fast as they can is a complement. How was your month 4 on a bike?

He actually finished in the Top 10 in his first few races, I can attest to that.

He is right though dude. Keep the bike as a streetbike, and buy a bike that allows for the learning curve to be less vertical.

Also....I wouldnt take it as a compliment. You are doing a Track day, you are literally there to "Make an effort to go fast" as you put it.

Last edited:
I am shopping as we speak. My bike weighs around 460lbs. I would like a 600 so I can use less energy. Trust me I have taken all the comments and have been working on my game. But for now I am riding what I have and it has been a lot of fun. Would like something I can push as I am not even getting lose yet. But if I go down now I can't even get parts so I have been really careful

Yes, with 19 people in the grid, you'd be in the top 20....

For me, you ask? Second weekend out (so I guess month #2??) Ninja 250 - 2:16 on long track....which is far from anything noteworthy. Others were 2:12/2:13 in their first few months.
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4084072

In all seriousness, if you came with us on a 300, you'd be going as fast on that 300 as you are on your 600 in a few weeks. I'm not trying to insult you. Just pointing out that if your goals are to improve, a fast bike won't get you there as quickly as learning on a slower bike. Especially if you're riding with likeminded riders also on small bikes. I credit everything I've learned to the guys we all race with.

And racing isn't as serious as you think. It's basically the beer leagues of motorcycle racing. We're all students of the game and want to get better but also know our place and are just there to have fun. Where a track day is like playing a game of pond hockey.

I am shopping as we speak. My bike weighs around 460lbs. I would like a 600 so I can use less energy.

Wait...so what are you on then? I thought you were on a 600.

Also, smaller bikes take THE LEAST amount of energy to ride. Much less weight to wrestle around the track.

Gsx s750. Suzukis naked bike. It has neutered 2005 750 motor and steel frame

ah, got cha. I just assumed the 2006 gsxr from your signature.

Well, for next season, seriously consider coming out with us at Shannonville. You'll have way more fun than track days and learn way more. It costs pretty much the same and you're already there in regards to gear and tools. Just need a 300!

How much is a 300(race ready)? And the info I look up on the site about RACE is very much limited. I assuming when you said join you at Shannonville it must be the RACE series. More info would be greatly appreciated

What are considered decent 600 lap times on long track? I know I have seen some race results in the low 50's but how about an average time for track days.

There was a green 300 there on Saturday that was incredibly fast - was that any of you?

I think that was Dwayne Bucholtz, who races a 300. Somewhere around 2:00 should be a good goal on a 600. Pro 600 is down into the 1:40s!

I stopped in and chatted up a few people. Way too many crashes, which is why I ended up not going... green track combined with low temps.

Back
Top Bottom