Riding in the city... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in the city...

Paulee

Is it me or is anyone just tired of riding in Toronto?

When I first started riding, any chance I got to take the bike out around the block I would. Now if I dont have a full day to ride somewhere way up north or outside of the city I dont even bother. The constant traffic, terrible road conditions/construction and crazy drivers have really started to turn me off.

When I was younger rush hour was from 7-9am and 3-6pm, today unless you ride out after 8pm the roads are jammed. Maybe its time for me to move outside of the city.

/EndRant

Lots of my riding ends up being after that 8pm bit of within the city during the week. Temperatures drop, traffic lessens, city lights are nice. During the weekends tho, try and go out of the city as much as possible when riding.
Office jobs make riding in nice weather scarce. And out of city riding at night is hard as my night vision is usually not good.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

@Paulee I hear you. I'll use the bike to scoot around the city to run the odd errand or two on weekends. Otherwise, yes, like you I've been generally riding outside the city. Plus, to maximize the peace, this means waking up early to beat weekend traffic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is unfortunately the reality of life in the GTA. I've lived here my entire life and it really does feel like the traffic is getting much worse of late. I think part of the problem is that Toronto's population keeps growing which brings with it more automobiles on the road each year and strain on our pathetic public transit system, which hasn't kept pace. It's as though we're becoming more and more like Los Angeles or NYC --around-the-clock traffic congestion. Legalizing lane splitting would certainly help.

I used to ride two hours to get out of the GTA to the good roads.

Now that I live on Prince Edward Island, the good roads start at the end of the driveway. And the fantastic roads are across the bridge and start just 5 minutes further down.

Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have some wicked roads and scenery, but you tend to need camping gear to do the best of them.

When I ride into the big city of Charlottetown, it reminds me in a very small way how much I hate dodge 'em and weave traffic and the law enforcement that I would encounter, not when someone on the 404 North would try to sideswipe me, but late at night when heading to Elements or on my way through Richmond Hill to a timmys meet.

When I return to visit friends, I get a real case of nerves on the 401 surrounded by six cars with no escape.

I've come to really enjoy country riding, and would hate going back to the big city. If I ever did, I could see myself dressed in neon green riding a twist and go scoot or 250cc dual sport with all the crash bars and extra lighting.

When I first came to Canada I had the choice of a job in Toronto or one in Kingston. I'm pretty happy with Kingston for many reasons not least of which is traffic.

I used to ride two hours to get out of the GTA to the good roads.

Now that I live on Prince Edward Island, the good roads start at the end of the driveway. And the fantastic roads are across the bridge and start just 5 minutes further down.

Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have some wicked roads and scenery, but you tend to need camping gear to do the best of them.

When I ride into the big city of Charlottetown, it reminds me in a very small way how much I hate dodge 'em and weave traffic and the law enforcement that I would encounter, not when someone on the 404 North would try to sideswipe me, but late at night when heading to Elements or on my way through Richmond Hill to a timmys meet.

When I return to visit friends, I get a real case of nerves on the 401 surrounded by six cars with no escape.

I've come to really enjoy country riding, and would hate going back to the big city. If I ever did, I could see myself dressed in neon green riding a twist and go scoot or 250cc dual sport with all the crash bars and extra lighting.

I would like to live in PEI...but somehow i dont think the job prospects would be good..

What do you do for a livin if you dont mind me askin?

I would like to live in PEI...but somehow i dont think the job prospects would be good..

What do you do for a livin if you dont mind me askin?

I got my Industrial Electrical Technician diploma, Alberta and pei block 1, and New Brunswick block 5 industrial electrician and have been looking for work since May in that field.

All the jobs are in Onterrible, Alberta and BC. :'(

It is stunning though

Had positive experiences in the Maritimes(minus all the toll roads and bridges)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I don't care where I am, if I'm on the scoot I'm happier than if I'm in the cage, no matter the traffic.

What is this "thing" you call traffic?

Only time I didn't like riding in the GTA was when the Ex was on, or when I only knew how to get there by Q.E.W.

Nope, just you.. :)

Riding in the city just provides a different environment to have fun. Been commuting into downtown Toronto by motorcycle for 20+ years. I find it nice to be able to spend a couple of hours a day enjoying my hobby whilst commuting... :)

Is it me or is anyone just tired of riding in Toronto?

When I first started riding, any chance I got to take the bike out around the block I would. Now if I dont have a full day to ride somewhere way up north or outside of the city I dont even bother. The constant traffic, terrible road conditions/construction and crazy drivers have really started to turn me off.

When I was younger rush hour was from 7-9am and 3-6pm, today unless you ride out after 8pm the roads are jammed. Maybe its time for me to move outside of the city.

/EndRant

Ride in Toronto? Where? On the sidewalk? Last time I was down there with a bike I couldn't get anywhere because the traffic was gridlocked. I was baking in the 30+ degree heat. As for the Maritimes, there's a stampede to Nova Scotia of Ontarians trying escape the congested, overpriced, high-tax, high-crime disaster the GTA has become. Land is being snatched up as people look for a retirement refuge.

Toronto The Corpulent can't be avoided now. Notice how it muffin-tops into the former hinterlands. Getting there on weekends has become a commute in itself. Self-hypnosis is key these days. Breathe in. Count to five. Breathe out. Can you reason with a rafter of turkeys? Examine the blank, beady eyes reflecting brand logos. The answer is no. Rants don't affect cheap double-double coffees sloshing inside disposable cups. Adding to the noise isn't what we want anyway. All those lumps--the lurching cars, the mafia road maintenance, yet another intersection or the constabulary's sweat stained kevlar--need to be smoothed down, into a hum. You can't hum without deep breathing. Remember? Count to five, and have fun instead.

I like the city, but the traffic is bad. Responsible lane splitting solves all the issues with traffic i have, no one has threatened to get out of their car and beat me up yet!

Toronto The Corpulent can't be avoided now. Notice how it muffin-tops into the former hinterlands. Getting there on weekends has become a commute in itself. Self-hypnosis is key these days. Breathe in. Count to five. Breathe out. Can you reason with a rafter of turkeys? Examine the blank, beady eyes reflecting brand logos. The answer is no. Rants don't affect cheap double-double coffees sloshing inside disposable cups. Adding to the noise isn't what we want anyway. All those lumps--the lurching cars, the mafia road maintenance, yet another intersection or the constabulary's sweat stained kevlar--need to be smoothed down, into a hum. You can't hum without deep breathing. Remember? Count to five, and have fun instead.

Someone’s been reading Kerouac. :p

Love riding in the city but I have the luxury of a non-9-to-5 job. 10am to 3pm are fine as is 8pm and later.

I have no problem riding into the city. I actually find it more mentally stimulating as all my senses are on alert.

I live just north of Steeles. 30 minutes south, I'm downtown, 20 minutes north and I'm out in the country.

Not me. Most of my riding is in the city and I still enjoy it much more than driving my car, regardless of traffic.

I've gotta commute. I'd much rather do it on my bike than in my cage. And commuting riding has its own kind of enjoyment. Different than spirited rides up north, but still good. You definitely have to be situationally aware, but its fun taking advantage of those little openings and the acceleration that you don't get in a cage.

Back
Top Bottom