Staggered riding and stop signs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Staggered riding and stop signs

itsme

Hello, My wife has started riding with me. Something I can't be sure is how to stop at stop signs? Definitely front rider should stop and wait for his/her turn. But what should the back rider do?

thanks

Under the HTA, EACH vehicle must come to a full and complete stop. The law looks at EACH bike as a separate vehicle, hence the front bike stops, then the second bike pulls to the front, and completes it's stop.

Under the HTA, EACH vehicle must come to a full and complete stop. The law looks at EACH bike as a separate vehicle, hence the front bike stops, then the second bike pulls to the front, and completes it's stop.

Yeah, Problem is a car (if not more) gets between us!

If you're staggering, at say a 4-way stop, then the first person would stop in the left tire track and wait a sec, then one second later the second person stops in the right tire track.
Both are now stopped and the first person could then leave a half second early. The problem comes that it's best to have odd numbers of people for staggering.
If the rearmost person in the staggered formation is in the right tire track, then they tend to have more vehicles violating their space. The last person should also be one of the most experienced.

Ideally the lead rider is in the left track and the second rider in the right. The lead stops at the line and the second pulls up to the right and stops. The problem is that a following vehicle can try to pass the second rider as the lead moves out, particularly if the second rider is too generous with the lane.

A reversed stagger just before the stop blocks the lane.

Impatient drivers are ********

If you're staggering, at say a 4-way stop, then the first person would stop in the left tire track and wait a sec, then one second later the second person stops in the right tire track.
Both are now stopped and the first person could then leave a half second early. The problem comes that it's best to have odd numbers of people for staggering.
If the rearmost person in the staggered formation is in the right tire track, then they tend to have more vehicles violating their space. The last person should also be one of the most experienced.
Mostly what my wife and I do. I stop, she's a half second behind, as I leaves she follows by a half second. It may not be properly legal, but it keeps us together.
We also live in Barrie and usually ride rural roads, very little highway or in town riding.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I used to come in a little hot and stop at the same time.

That works with people I know, but not with people I don't.

Since I'm quick (not fast), I'd mirror check, Left, right, left, get on the gas, and end up passing them, which I really hate.

If you go to Rome, the cars do it, sometimes four or five all on the line at the same time, waiting for an opening.

This is the legal way.

But yes, for groups of 2 I will admit that often both bikes take the opportunity to leave the stop at the same time to stay together - from a safety perspective it's just better vs ending up with people trying to pass the second bike at the stop sign (as it's blocking right in the stagger), or with cars stuck in between us and then having to potentially pull over on a gravel shoulder to regroup, etc.

Front rider comes to stop and waits for rear rider.
Rear rider comes beside front rider and stops.
Both riders leave at the same time. Rear rider returns to position after leaving stop sign.

Both riders leave at the same time. Rear rider returns to position after leaving stop sign.

I agree with this
not following the letter of the law
but much safer
if bikes do not leave at same time a cager will try to go next after first bike pulls out
can be repeated as needed for a group
but next pair need to let cars go first before proceeding

If the 2nd rider leaves a split second after the first or just behind the rear wheel position, it doesn't break any laws and they are effectively still blocking. Once underway they space out again. The more experienced rider should be at the back.

If the 2nd rider leaves a split second after the first or just behind the rear wheel position, it doesn't break any laws

Reasonably sure it does as each motorcycle is considered a separate vehicle by the letter of the law, so it would be treated (again, by the letter of the law) as two cars trying to go through the intersection at the same time without waiting their turn.

Exactly.

...or are ya'll talkin' 'bout something like a 4 way stop signed intersection where there are vehicles waiting to go across the path of the bikes? Then yeah, you have to wait and take turns. Though if it's just 2 bikes, I'd tend to just both go...looking to be sure there's no enforcers watching. ;)

When riding staggard, you proceed through stop as if you were single file, just as you would do if your were in a car. You wait for your right of way then proceed. Don't proceed as a group, don't send someone into the intersection to block for the group.

If you're in a formation with novices, let the novices go first as there's a good chance your group will get separated by other motorists. The more experienced riders will have an easier time catching up and reforming the group.

Exactly.

...or are ya'll talkin' 'bout something like a 4 way stop signed intersection where there are vehicles waiting to go across the path of the bikes? Then yeah, you have to wait and take turns. Though if it's just 2 bikes, I'd tend to just both go...looking to be sure there's no enforcers watching. ;)

that's what I'm visualizing

if going in pairs, best be very close together or a cager going cross direction
will assume, and he'd be correct, that he is next up for right of way
staying close but with a slight delay should satisfy HTA and leave no room for a cage to jump in

with a large group of bikes going single file, it's going to take a long time
to get all through and then a chore to re-group
I think this also is gonna confuse cagers
so it's best to go in pairs and get it over with quickly

You have to proceed as if you were inline - one goes, ROW yeilds to other stopped vehicles, then the next rider goes. The best approach is for the more seasoned rider to go last. If you are separated, a pass will be easier for the more seasoned rider.

Back
Top Bottom