Registering a new(?) bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering a new(?) bike

Silver Baron

Hello,
I am new here. And already have a question.
I am planning to purchase a 2016 street bike from a private owner. It never been registered (no ownership) but the owner has the bill of sale and documents in his name from the (Canadian) dealer.
I would plate and insure it right away.
What do I need to register it now in my name?
Safety?
Bill of sale?
Anything else?
THX

Alarm bells -
What bike are we talking about and why wasn't it registered by the original selling dealer or present owner ?
Is it BRAND NEW or used ?
You said Canadian dealer - what province ?
Something doesn't smell right....

If he has the NIVIS then what he is telling you is true BUT a dealer simply isn't delivering a bike and not registering into the customers name.

I'd pass on this bike unless the seller puts the bike into his name first. If he has a bill of sale from the dealer then he has already paid taxes so really there isn't an advantage to him never registering it.

I'd be nervous too.Phone or go to the local ministry office and go over it with them and see what they tell you.Don't be a victim.Let us know what happens.

If they don't have an ownership showing it in their name, I agree...big alarm bells.

Even if it all seem above board I'd make an arrangement where they go with you to the MTO and get it registered and an ownership in YOUR name before handing over a dime. Providing everything is indeed above board they should neither have a problem with you requesting that, nor should be be a problem to accomplish. When it is, then pay them and consider it a done deal.

But yeah, I agree with others....something smells fishy to me. Be VERY wary - don't get stuck with a bike that turns out to be unregisterable, or worse yet stolen or something.

I'd also run the VIN through the CPIC VIN lookup tool to start.

Forgot to address the rest - you'll need a safety to get an ownership in "FIT" status (which will allow you to actually get plates), but initially I'd just want to get *A* ownership - without a safety it will show "UNFIT" status (so you can't plate it yet), but once you get it in your name and such then you can worry about the safety and all that other stuff afterwards. Getting the ownership changed from UNFIT to FIT only requires a quick visit to a Service Ontario with the safety certificate in hand, and A (IIRC) $10 fee for the new ownership. If you have proof of insurance at that point as well, it's then just plus the cost of the plates and sticker at that point and you're on the road.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise. I will urge the owner to put it in his name first.
Or we go to Service Canada together.
Thanks again.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise. I will urge the owner to put it in his name first.
Or we go to Service Canada together.
Thanks again.

Just skipping putting it in his name and putting it directly into yours instead if possible would save a lot of money in taxes, as this transaction would otherwise effectively incur taxes twice in a short period of time.

That is unless the bill of sale from the dealership shows the taxes as already having been paid, which is certainly likely - not sure how he could have bought it otherwise honestly, but again, this whole deal smells strongly of fish to me, too many questions...

- Why would a dealer sell a motorcycle but not register it for the buyer?
- Why would a buyer buy a motorcycle but not care about an ownership?
- Why would a buyer buy a motorcycle and then just put it in his garage and not ride it? Does it still have basically 0KM on the odometer?

This happened to me but with a dirt bike. Basically KTM Canada imported it, but never registered it in the country. I went to Service Ontario and walked away with an ownership in about 45mins. Basically the girl kept telling me there was nothing I could do, and I kept asking her to tell me what to do then. If she couldn't help me, then tell me who can. Back and forth, back and forth. I was very adamant that I was leaving with an ownership because I had the bike and there was no record of it being stolen (how could there since it was never registered, lol).

In the end she finally called someone on the phone and they told her to have me write up an affidavit swearing a bunch of stuff. Then she had me raise me right hand and swear that everything I said and wrote was the complete truth, blah blah blah. Then she entered all the information in the system and printed me an ownership in my name.

The only thing I actually had was some form from KTM and she didn't care about it at all.

bill of sale from seller to you
bill of sale from dealer to original purchaser showing taxes paid,if any
safety certificate
insurance binder
affidavit signed by you and seller
UVIP

I'd grab the VIN and go to police office and ask them to run it for stolen property
a few reasons come to mind why original buyer did not get an Ontario registration
track bike
bought for export to another jurisdiction
bought as sample bike for testing, engineering of other stuff
purchaser was a dealer

but it does sound fishy
bike is only a year old
must be a smoking deal to be considering it

There is a process for getting an Ontario plate for a bike that was never registered.
It is long, involved and wastes a great deal of your time.
I have purchased several bikes in the past and I refuse to touch one that is in Ontario but doesn't have an Ontario registration.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
You should go to your nearest Service Ontario and find out for yourself exactly whats involved.

Last edited:
This pops up occasionally with bikes, guy buys ie; Duc 1098 to sit in his foyer, never registers it. 10 yrs later sells it on. Its a bit of paper work as others have said, and if its a truly oddball , or not imported properly in the first place be prepared for lots of paper work.

I wouldn't be too scared about it , but do your due diligence.

And its your business, but unless it has something truly special about it I wouldnt be over paying

There is a process for getting an Ontario plate for a bike that was never registered.
It is long, involved and wastes a great deal of your time.

Yeah. You're right. 45mins was really long to stand at a counter.........

Lol

Back
Top Bottom