Track days in October? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track days in October?

limitsreached

I frequently check http://www.motorcycletrackdays.ca/ but it would seem there are no more track days being held after October 8th. In fact, it looks like October 8th is now cancelled as TMP shows another event for that date. I am going to attend the Shannonville event this Saturday but with this late summer like weather, I would love to get out one more time after that.

Are there any local track dates that are not on that website?

I frequently check http://www.motorcycletrackdays.ca/ but it would seem there are no more track days being held after October 8th. In fact, it looks like October 8th is now cancelled as TMP shows another event for that date. I am going to attend the Shannonville event this Saturday but with this late summer like weather, I would love to get out one more time after that.

Are there any local track dates that are not on that website?

From those of us that have been on track in October I would say.... good luck

From those of us that have been on track in October I would say.... good luck

Last year they added a random, last minute Saturday at Cayuga but the weather was super nice...hence the random last minute addition. Was a good day!!

Good news, I just talked with them and there is lapping on October 7th. If its warm and dry enough, I plan to be there!

Last edited:
Sounds like I am in for a learning experience! :D

Im on Q3's and will have my warmers but I guess we will see how I do with the cold air.

Don't want to sound pessimist, I have raced many times in October and had a blast, even finishing an endurance race on an R1 while it started to snow, however things to keep in mind.

Warmers will allow you to keep the tires warm for a few laps but with that temperature and cold asphalt and your pace (beginner) you will lose temperature fast, so when a tire stick in a corner, it might not 3 laps later, or 3 corners later even, just be aware.

Warmers on Q3? that is a street tire and I know from experience they become really slippery when over heated, I don't know if 80/100 will make it over heated.

I always skip the first session when it's cold, there is always humidity on track and I rather let the sun (if any) get rid of it.

But you are a new rider so you have that eagerness to be on track, I much rather not anymore when its cold...and come to think even when it's hot lol.

Last edited:
Don't want to sound pessimist, I have raced many times in October and had a blast, even finishing an endurance race on an R1 while it started to snow, however things to keep in mind.

Warmers will allow you to keep the tires warm for a few laps but with that temperature and cold asphalt and your pace (beginner) you will lose temperature fast, so when a tire stick in a corner, it might not 3 laps later, or 3 corners later even, just be aware.

Warmers on Q3? that is a street tire and I know from experience they become really slippery when over heated, I don't know if 80/100 will make it over heated.

I always skip the first session when it's cold, there is always humidity on track and I rather let the sun (if any) get rid of it.

But you are a new rider so you have that eagerness to be on track, I much rather not anymore when its cold...and come to think even when it's hot lol.

All good info and will take these points into consideration, thank you!

I was planning to put the warmers on for 15 mins or so. I understand that between the time they come off and the time I am actually leaving pit lane will cool the tires significantly so I will be sure to be super cautious. As for the slick morning sessions, I know that all to well form my car experience at SMP and other tracks(more notably Mosport) but I can see how its even more treacherous on a bike!

Thanks again!

Actually from the time you get on track to the time you leave the track back to the pits you will be losing temperature.

This topic has been covered many times in here just do a search, but at your pace, at the temperature the track will be you will be losing heat lap after lap and not gaining heat.

I was planning to put the warmers on for 15 mins or so. I understand that between the time they come off and the time I am actually leaving pit lane will cool the tires significantly so I will be sure to be super cautious. As for the slick morning sessions, I know that all to well form my car experience at SMP and other tracks(more notably Mosport) but I can see how its even more treacherous on a bike!

Thanks again!

Actually from the time you get on track to the time you leave the track back to the pits you will be losing temperature.

This topic has been covered many times in here just do a search, but at your pace, at the temperature the track will be you will be losing heat lap after lap and not gaining heat.

Yeah I now see what you are saying...been reading a lot on here and other places. Nice to have a slow day at work! :D

Based on what I have read, it is essentially backwards of what a normal mid-summer track day would be like. I'm going to take it super easy and monitor track temps and start/finish tire temps as the day progresses. Even if it doesn't get to a decent temp, I can at least practice my lines and work on being super smooth with inputs.

Thanks again!

Warmers for only 15 minutes would be pointless even on a 30 degree day. And it's really not the time between your pit and the track that is taking the heat out of your tires. It's the cool ambient temp and especially the cold track surface while you are lapping, particularly at a novice pace AND on street tires.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Warmers for only 15 minutes would be pointless even on a 30 degree day. And it's really not the time between your pit and the track that is taking the heat out of your tires. It's the cool ambient temp and especially the cold track surface while you are lapping, particularly at a novice pace AND on street tires.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

thank you, I now understand after reading a bunch today! I have a lot to learn on two wheels!

re: tires. Are you saying that streets do not retain as much heat as a track specific tire?

October may be ok.
Just got home from Shanny about an hour ago.
Track was cold in the morning but great after lunch once the sun came out

October may be ok.
Just got home from Shanny about an hour ago.
Track was cold in the morning but great after lunch once the sun came out

Tomorrow is looking like its going to be pretty chilly and funny enough, October 7th(TMP lapping) is looking to be a MUCH warmer day.

I rode Calabogie this year in the rain at 11degs. Running the Q3plus I came off the track with tires that stared at ambient temp and they came up to ~50deg after around 20mins of laps. Just take the first 2 laps slow in the corners and hard brake/gas on the straits then pick up the pace. They cool between runs but not fully. Just give yourself a few laps and find your groove at the start of each session.

I rode Calabogie this year in the rain at 11degs. Running the Q3plus I came off the track with tires that stared at ambient temp and they came up to ~50deg after around 20mins of laps. Just take the first 2 laps slow in the corners and hard brake/gas on the straits then pick up the pace. They cool between runs but not fully. Just give yourself a few laps and find your groove at the start of each session.

You really need to be careful with the advice you are giving because what you are saying is so damn wrong

First: Calabogie's level or grip which creates heat can not be compared in any way to TMP or GB or any other track in Ontario.
Second: Good luck generating heat at 11 degrees at a Green level rider at TMP or any other track. Ain't gonna happen.
Third: A couple of "take it easy laps"all are going to do is actually cool off his tires since he is planning to use warmers. So what you are saying is to take it easy when the tires are warm and start pushing once the tires have cooled off.

Jesus.

there should be a rating system for members when they give advice, the amount of bad information that people throw around is baffling, someone who is just starting out may not know any better and take it as gospel

First: it was in the rain so same tire minus the rain will have higher temps even on another track that is dry and temps higher/same

Second: my comment was based on my pace and my suggestion was to from ambient temp and build each lap.

Third: you already stated tire warmers would be a bad idea and I said nothing about using them.

Given my use at cooler temps in the wet that if he "rides his pace" and builds it would be best. I know you have a hard on for jamming on my posts and what I said holds. Also at mosport similar temps where achieved on the Thursday before the double header in green group with rain/drizzle.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

First: it was in the rain so same tire minus the rain will have higher temps even on another track that is dry and temps higher/same WRONG

Second: my comment was based on my pace and my suggestion was to from ambient temp and build each lap.Your advice was very specific as to what he should do according to your experience..which is the wrong advice

Third: you already stated tire warmers would be a bad idea and I said nothing about using them. Wrong again and please do not put words in my mouth I did not say, here is what I did say "Warmers on Q3? that is a street tire and I know from experience they become really slippery when over heated, I don't know if 80/100 will make it over heated" So it means I didn't know if 80/110 degrees which is the temperature the tires come off the warmers is enough to make the tires slippery.

Given my use at cooler temps in the wet that if he "rides his pace" and builds it would be best. I know you have a hard on for jamming on my posts and what I said holds. Also at mosport similar temps where achieved on the Thursday before the double header in green group with rain/drizzle.I don't know who you are and I thought I was responding to your post for the first time, but with this kind of advice I can see how me and many others might want to "jam"into your posts.

Anyways, my responses are in red. I will let you guys discuss among each other, after all, I don't really care to be honest.

there should be a rating system for members when they give advice, the amount of bad information that people throw around is baffling, someone who is just starting out may not know any better and take it as gospel

Yep, this is why i felt I needed to comment to then be told I have a hard on for this guy lol, Where is bickle when yo need him.

For someone that does not care you put more effort into looking for holes in my posts then it's really worth. He's on q3s and running green. Maybe he should not be messing with warmers and be more focused on psi pre/after sessions. Wow. So much wasted time here.

Back
Top Bottom