"DEAD RED" law in Ontario | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"DEAD RED" law in Ontario

Magnets don't work.

I put my centerstand down on one of the lines where the wires are buried.

Sturgeon rd southbound at highway 7 in Omeemee is a light I can't trigger and has no right on red. There is usually no pedestrian Traffic there. If by myself I bypass the town using gravel roads.

..Tom

If my presence doesn't trigger the change - I think I have a good argument to claim the lights are malfunctioning, and then I've been under the impression that 4 way stop laws apply, and I can proceed upon finding the way is clear. Thought that was the law accommodating a legit need, but never had to test it... but I think that'd stand up.

that's how I treat a light that doesn't change...

[video=youtube;irvRdvM5XJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvRdvM5XJI[/video]

Funny this should come up, happened to me this morning. I turned on my 4-ways, hit the pedestrian-cross button, then back on the bike. Light changed next cycle.
Maybe leaving my bike in 'live-lane' is a no-no, but meh...

I've done the same several times. It'll only ever happen if you're the only vehicle at the lights. If there's a car behind/in front of you or 1 on the other side going the opposite way stopped, they'll eventually trigger the sensor wires in the pavement. I try and stop the bike right over the line and will sometimes need to move the bike up a bit to trigger it but if that fails, the kickstand goes down and I'll walk and press the pedestrian walk button.

Been pulled over before by an off-duty at 9pm on a quiet industrial road on a Saturday night after running a red after 2 cycles.
Could not turn right/uturn as it is the TTC transit bypass off Finch.
Quick chat and I'm off.

There are several lights in my area that do not recognize the bike. I am on the road around 530AM so I am the traffic. At first I would just quickly dismount and push the walk button. Now I just stop look and go. If a car is coming the other way I do a right then U turn... Reported them to the city and nothing has been done.

There are several lights in my area that do not recognize the bike. I am on the road around 530AM so I am the traffic. At first I would just quickly dismount and push the walk button. Now I just stop look and go. If a car is coming the other way I do a right then U turn... Reported them to the city and nothing has been done.

You should wait a cycle to see if they've been fixed first.

Last week I tried one at Raglan Rd and Simcoe. I had to wait for car to trigger it as the traffic was to busy to just go, or u-turn. Now I just go left or right on the side streets to avoid the light

Last week I tried one at Raglan Rd and Simcoe. I had to wait for car to trigger it as the traffic was to busy to just go, or u-turn. Now I just go left or right on the side streets to avoid the light

^^This. It's inconvenient, but less inconvenient than sitting at the light waiting for it to not change.

Last edited:

Toronto fixes problem intersections, if there is a specific intersection causing you trouble, it may be worth calling Oshawa (or maybe the Region as they are both regional roads) to see if they will fix it.

^^This. It's inconvenient, but less inconvenient than sitting at the light waiting for it to not change.
Funny you should say inconvenient...UPS in the US routes all their trucks so that they will minimize or eliminate left turns whenever possible. The time and gas savings have been substantial.

Can a map app/ gps be programmed to avoid left turns? I've never checked.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Funny you should say inconvenient...UPS in the US routes all their trucks so that they will minimize or eliminate left turns whenever possible. The time and gas savings have been substantial. Can a map app/ gps be programmed to avoid left turns? I've never checked. sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
I thought that GPS's already do that?

Toronto fixes problem intersections, if there is a specific intersection causing you trouble, it may be worth calling Oshawa (or maybe the Region as they are both regional roads) to see if they will fix it.
I know Peel told me it can take quite a while before anything gets done and thats IF anything gets done.

I thought that GPS's already do that?

Not ones I've used. It's theoretically a good idea though. It would be nice if you could set a time threshold (eg. avoid a left turn if it adds less than 2 minutes to the trip). You will probably be waiting for 2 minutes to turn left anyway.

Funny you should say inconvenient...UPS in the US routes all their trucks so that they will minimize or eliminate left turns whenever possible. The time and gas savings have been substantial.

Can a map app/ gps be programmed to avoid left turns? I've never checked.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

There was actually a mythbusters episode on this, I don't remember the outcome though.

I haven't tried this yet but I plan to attach a couple of neodymium disc magnets underneath my bike. Apparently, traffic light triggers that are embedded in the road respond to a magnetic field source....

I attached an old hard drive magnet to the bottom of my previous bike ages ago. IRRC, it did seem to make a difference. Should try it again with the current bike and see.

Also thought of attaching one to the oil filter.

I just put my stand down and press the walk button or if I see a pedestrian I ask them to push the button for me lol.

Back
Top Bottom