"DEAD RED" law in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

"DEAD RED" law in Ontario

I82l8

We all know that our motorcycles don't always trigger the sensors at traffic lights.
Is there a provision for this in the HTA?
I.e. here are the rules in some of the states:

• Illinois. 2 minute wait
  • Indiana. 2 min wait
  • Kansas. Reasonable wait
  • Minnesota. After unreasonable time
  • Missouri. After unreasonable time
  • Nevada. Two cycles of signal
  • North Carolina. 3 min wait
  • South Carolina 2 min wait
  • Tennessee. When safe
  • Utah. 90 seconds
  • Virginia. 2 cycles or 2 min
  • Washington. One cycle
  • Wyoming. 45 seconds
  • Oregon. Caution after 1 cycle
  • Kentucky. 2 cycles or 2 min

Often times i'll turn right and u-turn if i know in advance that the intersection won't recognize.

I heard somewhere that it was 2 cycles here...but i'm not certain. It's an awful longtime when your light has a 2-minute cycle (in the grand scheme of things it isn't but it feels like forever when sitting idle in the heat)

If it doesn't change after 1 cycle and no cars are coming up behind me to trip it, I'll just go if the way is clear....at non red light camera locations.

I haven't seen an actual law. I have done what LePhillou and RiceBurner have done in the past. I prefer to follow LePhillou's path as even if a cop is having a bad day, you haven't broken the law so you shouldn't catch a ticket that sticks.

If your problem lights are in Toronto, let them know and they will fix the sensors.

I knew something was going on!!

New rider, there is this intersection near my house which is very convenient, and seldom used. But the signals take a long time to switch when I am on my bike. Makes sense now.

There is no provision in law for doing this legally in Ontario.

Given the increasing number of camera monitored intersections, best bet if the light won't change is to make a right on red, left into a parking lot or driveway, and turn around in there.

I knew something was going on!!

New rider, there is this intersection near my house which is very convenient, and seldom used. But the signals take a long time to switch when I am on my bike. Makes sense now.

Look for the three dots, or the slits in the asphalt where they've laid the wires. If it still doesn't work you can phone the city (311?) with the name of the intersection, and they'll send someone to fix it.

Look for the three dots, or the slits in the asphalt where they've laid the wires. If it still doesn't work you can phone the city (311?) with the name of the intersection, and they'll send someone to fix it.

Thanks for the tip!

Often times i'll turn right and u-turn if i know in advance that the intersection won't recognize.

What do you do when there is a "No Right Turn on red" sign?

..Tom

I usually wait about 2-3 minutes or 2 cycles. Unless there is a car(s) behind me, then I motion them to come up closer behind me.

..Tom

Good point.

There is an advanced left at black creek turning west onto Lawrence I've been stuck at before and never comes on. I treat it like a regular intersection after a cycle or two incase a cop sees. Also by my place at the bottom of bayview that's so unnecessary and should just be a stop sign.

Funny this should come up, happened to me this morning. I turned on my 4-ways, hit the pedestrian-cross button, then back on the bike. Light changed next cycle.
Maybe leaving my bike in 'live-lane' is a no-no, but meh...

On my way to work in the morning I pop onto the sidewalk and hammer the pedestrian button, which is why everyone needs a supermoto. Though depending on the intersection I just wait until the way is clear and run it. If there's a cop around to catch you the way wasn't clear. I've done the right then u-turn occasionally, but you spend more time in the middle of the road than I like compared to just running the light.

Waiting for 2 minutes is a waste of my time.

If it doesn't change after 1 cycle and no cars are coming up behind me to trip it, I'll just go if the way is clear....at non red light camera locations.

Same here. I have my go pro on so if i ever got pulled over by the law i would show them the cycle.

If my presence doesn't trigger the change - I think I have a good argument to claim the lights are malfunctioning, and then I've been under the impression that 4 way stop laws apply, and I can proceed upon finding the way is clear. Thought that was the law accommodating a legit need, but never had to test it... but I think that'd stand up.

..Tom

To be fair, the "No right on red" sign is usually done on intersections that have a lot of foot traffic crossing the intersections. I hope some kind soul comes along and presses the damn button for the crossing.

I have read this on another site. Stick a couple of magnets to your underside of bike to trip these sensors. They went on to say earth magnets like the ones in hard drives works good. I tried this when I had a vstar...didn't have a problem with the light again but its a hit miss light.

I have read this on another site. Stick a couple of magnets to your underside of bike to trip these sensors. They went on to say earth magnets like the ones in hard drives works good. I tried this when I had a vstar...didn't have a problem with the light again but its a hit miss light.

I always drag the centre stand while passing over the sensors, but not that many bikes have centre stands anymore.

Back
Top Bottom