Can I change tires myself? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I change tires myself?

shakalaka

Do you guys think it's a good idea to change tires myself? I really don't want to, but some places are charging $200 to change a set of tires on the bike. Have you guys used any shops in Toronto that charge less? I'd be willing to buy the tires from them too(assuming it's near what Pete's sells them for) if that results in any discount.

Are you set up to change tires yourself?

I generally bring wheels & tires to any shop that charges a reasonable fee

I take the rims off and show up with the new rubber. It works out to about $25 dollars a rim.

For me, Riders Choice has always matched (Pete's price + shipping cost) for the tires, so I support the local shop. I usually just bring the wheels, already off the bike, and they swap the tires for a reasonable service fee.

For me, Riders Choice has always matched (Pete's price + shipping cost) for the tires, so I support the local shop. I usually just bring the wheels, already off the bike, and they swap the tires for a reasonable service fee.

Really? Does John do that for everybody, or only for favoured customers

I've changed my own a few times without a tire machine and used 3 levers. It can be a wrestle so depending what you ride and how strong you are, you may want to just drop the wheels out and take them to a shop. It's also not too easy on the rims regarding scratches when using tire levers.

If you have the tools for the job then sure changing your own tires is a good idea. If you don't and you think you are just going to figure it out as you go then no, I do not think it is a good idea.

You could invest in the tools you need and change your tires from here on out, but it will be more then $200 upfront, but you will save down the road.

I take the rims off and show up with the new rubber. It works out to about $25 dollars a rim.

Where? Couldn't find a place less than $55 a tire when taking mine in off the bike, supplying my own tires. They all said it's a little cheaper when you buy tires there, but of course that is more expensive.

Where? Couldn't find a place less than $55 a tire when taking mine in off the bike, supplying my own tires. They all said it's a little cheaper when you buy tires there, but of course that is more expensive.

I used to use Rosey Toes in Toronto, then Edge Performance in Bradford, now on Prince Edward Island I use Centennial Honda in Summerside.

I've also used Competition Cycle in Whitby when I lived in the area. Great service, and the price was right.

Last edited:
Lots of Canadian Tire locations can change the tires for you if you bring them the wheels. Around $50ish for 2.

Surprised no one said Frekeyguy yet.
Not sure what bike/tire sizes you run, but I also recall that Speedowrx was offering a good price for buying a set of tires and getting them installed. I used to buy from Pete's (PR4's), but found that Speedworx sells them for the same price as Pete's and I'd rather support the local shop.

Supposedly this is a straightforward method for changing tires without the fancy equipment...the zip tie method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PD48uGl4o

I've never tried it myself but it doesn't look too bad in a pinch.

As for breaking the bead to get an old tire off some people use the sidestand and the bike's weight on the trail.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/equipment-reviews/breaking-bead-your-sidestand-works-5241

Again,...never tried it but I would in a pinch

I take my tires off with zip-ties. Probably have changed over a dozen sets like that.

Some brands/models are a little more difficult to get off especially if they're old, dry and hard. This is usually from new-to-me bikes with someone elses old ****** tires on there.

Sport bike tires are pretty easy to break the bead and muscle off with zip-tires and some tire irons. I figure if I do 2 tire changes a year myself, I've paid for a new set of tires with elbow grease.

Tire irons are handy and worth the extra few beans if you plan on doing this all the time. If not, then a couple old heavy duty slotted screw drivers should do the trick.

You can use a towel as rim protectors. Do NOT buy these rim protectors...they're awful and pop off when you're muscling the tire over the rim ALL THE TIME and will cause you to scratch your rim.
https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-rim-protectors

To break the bead, I use a 2x4 flipped on it's side wedged under my metal fence with another short 1x6 fence board wedged between the 2x4 and the rim/tire bead.

I bought a balancing stand after a few changes but before I did that, I'd use the axle on a couple jacks. Level out the jacks with the axle between them and it's almost the same thing as a motorbike tire balancing stand.
https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-wheel-balancer-800-256
Can also be found on eBay for $50-60 (where I got mine).

So....

1 - remove wheel from bike
2 - clean wheel
3 - break bead (helps to remove valve core)
5 - feed zipties through and squish the **** of out of.
6 - soapy water on rim and muscle off tire over rim
7 - clean lip of wheel
8 - zip tires on new tire
9 - press tire on wheel (much easier than removal)
10 - fill with air to set bead
11 - balance
12 - remount on to bike

I use speedworx. $120 for a pair Chane on the bike. I make an appointment and yore out in an hour. They cleaned and lubed my chain without asking at no additional cost last time I was there.

I do my own. If you kill a tire in less than one season, it may be worth your while to do it yourself. I've been quoted $100 a tire with the wheel on the bike. That seems a little high to me, but my last tire was a b*tch to get off. I figure if I'm going through the hassle of removing the wheel, I may as well do the whole job.

If you have the tools for the job then sure changing your own tires is a good idea. If you don't and you think you are just going to figure it out as you go then no, I do not think it is a good idea.

^^^This x 1000.

I tried once.

F that noise.

'Ended up taking the rims to a shop to have the tires removed and replaced.

Don't compromise your safety! Your tires are the only thing keeping you from being part of the road. Take them to a local, reliable shop and pay the $2.

Back
Top Bottom