Suggestions for getting a tow for a safety? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggestions for getting a tow for a safety?

zenryder

Hey,
I just bought a Ninja 250 from a friend, but it didn't come with a safety.

I'm a new rider, and not confident enough to ride it to a garage (nor are there plates/insurance yet) ... could someone suggest to me any options for :

a) getting it towed to a (*) mechanic
b) ... or .. are there mechanics willing to come to a residence to a do safety?

(*) - I live in North York and someone suggested Rosey Toes to me. Any other suggestions welcome.

thanks!

A lot of riders are more than happy to ride other people's bikes. See if someone here or a friend will ride it for you.

Hey,
I just bought a Ninja 250 from a friend, but it didn't come with a safety.

I'm a new rider, and not confident enough to ride it to a garage (nor are there plates/insurance yet) ... could someone suggest to me any options for :

a) getting it towed to a (*) mechanic
b) ... or .. are there mechanics willing to come to a residence to a do safety?

(*) - I live in North York and someone suggested Rosey Toes to me. Any other suggestions welcome.

thanks!

Just so you know, technically the inspection should be done at the garage or location of the person certifying the motorcycle. When they are coming to you, they are breaking their terms and conditions with the ministry or whomever it is.. having said that, there are some people who will apparently visit your location and write a "safety" out.
Your other option is to use some of the dedicated motorcycle haulers who advertise here and on kijiji.

A lot of riders are more than happy to ride other people's bikes. See if someone here or a friend will ride it for you.

he said there are no plates/insurance!

Where are you located? Perhaps a local member has a trailer and may lend a hand.
You can also pm Infernobuster on this forum, AFAIK he has a bike towing service.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

rent a trailer from uhaul for $20 and tow it to a mechanic.
or maybe infernobuster or kneedragger88 from this forum or maybe motolimo

where are you located?

or if you have CAA they might tow it for free - check.

CAA will tow any 'non-running' bike ;) Gotta watch the CAA drivers, many of them do not have knowledge of strapping a motorcycle. I once had to explain that trapping only the wheels down would not be sufficient for a 80km trip on the highway...

Most independant motorcycle towing services from my experience will cost hundreds.

If you have a tow hitch, Uhaul motorcycle trailer is your best bet, as someone stated.

In any case, you should watch some videos on proper tie down procedures, good knowledge to have.

CAA will tow any 'non-running' bike ;) Gotta watch the CAA drivers, many of them do not have knowledge of strapping a motorcycle. I once had to explain that trapping only the wheels down would not be sufficient for a 80km trip on the highway...

Most independant motorcycle towing services from my experience will cost hundreds.

If you have a tow hitch, Uhaul motorcycle trailer is your best bet, as someone stated.

In any case, you should watch some videos on proper tie down procedures, good knowledge to have.

Hundreds? Man i gotta up my prices than ... lol.

or maybe infernobuster or kneedragger88 from this forum or maybe motolimo

where are you located?
this...or if you dont have a hitch spend the extra $5 and get the cube van and use a plank of wood for a ramp, the ninja 250 is a light bike, 2 guys should be able to load and unload it in a cube van easily.

This.

If the bike is currently registered as 'fit', you can arrange insurance, transfer ownership and get a temp 'T' sticker and plate. This let's you ride her home and around for your safety for 10 days. See here https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

This doesn't work, and I wish the MTO would clarify it on their website as a lot of people get sucked into this situation thinking they are going to be able to get a temp sticker based on what they read online, only to find out they can't. As soon as you transfer ownership of a vehicle without a safety certificate it looses it's FIT status, and will be registered in the new owners name as "UNFIT". In UNFIT status a vehicle is neither legal for the road, nor is it eligible for plates or a temporary sticker.

The only thing a temp sticker is good for is for the CURRENT owner, with a vehicle registered in FIT status (and proof of insurance is also necessary) to get a temp to move it under his name, or yes, by a new owner so long as the ownership has NOT been changed yet. Since proof of insurance is still necessary it really limits the usefulness of temp stickers for the purpose of after-sale movement of a vehicle.

I called them when my motor blew, they only tow bikes if you have the top-level Gold membership. The u-haul trailer will be the cheapest and easiest option with a front wheel chock and anchor points. Just don't be stupid like me and strap it down with the kickstand down, then unstrap the wrong side to put kickstand up, and watch the bike get john cena'd on the trailer.

Just so you know, technically the inspection should be done at the garage or location of the person certifying the motorcycle. When they are coming to you, they are breaking their terms and conditions with the ministry or whomever it is.. having said that, there are some people who will apparently visit your location and write a "safety" out.
Your other option is to use some of the dedicated motorcycle haulers who advertise here and on kijiji.

And you should stick to the speed limit, signal every time you switch lanes, blah blah blah... who cares man, if they check the bike and it passes, what's the big deal?

This.

This doesn't work, and I wish the MTO would clarify it on their website as a lot of people get sucked into this situation thinking they are going to be able to get a temp sticker based on what they read online, only to find out they can't. As soon as you transfer ownership of a vehicle without a safety certificate it looses it's FIT status, and will be registered in the new owners name as "UNFIT". In UNFIT status a vehicle is neither legal for the road, nor is it eligible for plates or a temporary sticker.

The only thing a temp sticker is good for is for the CURRENT owner, with a vehicle registered in FIT status (and proof of insurance is also necessary) to get a temp to move it under his name, or yes, by a new owner so long as the ownership has NOT been changed yet. Since proof of insurance is still necessary it really limits the usefulness of temp stickers for the purpose of after-sale movement of a vehicle.

Stop it. You can get a temp sticker when you're transferring the ownership from the previous owner. As long as it says "fit" you're good to go.

If you have a current insurance policy, you have 14 days to report a new vehicle to your insurance company. All the MTO need is a company name and a policy number. They don't need to see the actual pink slip.

who cares man, if they check the bike and it passes, what's the big deal?

Thing is most people doing these driveway-special inspections aren't actually checking the vehicles/motorcycle, they're just looking for quick cash and they're outa there. They might pretend to look at a few things (IE, turn on the signals, look at the headlight) but the rest of the inspection, especially the stop tests, brake lining inspection...actually checking it's structure...yeah, probably not doing that.

Stop it. You can get a temp sticker when you're transferring the ownership from the previous owner. As long as it says "fit" you're good to go.

Sure, you can IF you don't transfer the ownership first which is what people always suggest, and do.

Once it's transferred without a safety (and accordingly goes to "UNFIT" status) you can most certainly NOT get a temp anymore. Call the MTO or go visit Service Ontario and ask. I'll wait.

Or here, just read for yourself:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

To get a temporary licence plate sticker visit a ServiceOntario centre and bring:

- the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is "fit"
- if the vehicle permit is not yet registered in your name, the back of the permit must be completed and signed by the owner

If the previous owner didn't have the vehicle on the road and it's already in UNFIT status, it's completely impossible. It happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom