Buying motorcycle at dealership | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying motorcycle at dealership

b16bvtec

Fellow member at gtam, how is the buying process work at a motorcycle dealership? like is it similar to car dealership? What's the bargain range on the motorcycle does people just buy off msrp ?
Any advise is appreciated ;)

Have owned many bikes, only 2 were new.
There is not much margin on bikes unless you get into the expensive stuff.
Typical bike ~ 10k you're not gonna find much wiggle room.
Unless you're looking at a new non-current where the manufacturer helps them write it down,
you're gonna pay sticker price pretty much.

if you need gear you will likely have success getting a good discount on it while buying a new bike.
Much more margin built into that stuff.

You are shopping at the right time tho
They will be looking to dump the '17's

Last edited:
Have owned many bikes, only 2 were new.
There is not much margin on bikes unless you get into the expensive stuff.
Typical bike ~ 10k you're not gonna find much wiggle room.
Unless you're looking at a new non-current where the manufacturer helps them write it down,
you're gonna pay sticker price pretty much.

if you need gear you will likely have success getting a good discount on it while buying a new bike.
Much more margin built into that stuff.

You are shopping at the right time tho
They will be looking to dump the '17's
The Bike is around 17k Supersport bike. Any thought ?

are you a cash customer or financing? it depends on the deal but may impact wiggle room. You'll never make any money faster than asking for a discount but dont be surprised if its not big. The margins just arent there.

you may get a discount on gear as an incentive at time of purchase, if your financing do your arithmetic, you may not want to pay for a jacket over five yrs.

are you a cash customer or financing? it depends on the deal but may impact wiggle room. You'll never make any money faster than asking for a discount but dont be surprised if its not big. The margins just arent there.

you may get a discount on gear as an incentive at time of purchase, if your financing do your arithmetic, you may not want to pay for a jacket over five yrs.
its gonna be on finance someone mention about not a lot of margin but should get somthing for accessories or service.

Im not sure of the margins, but shop around, the best way to get the best price is to

1. Bring cash

2. Go in the winter

3. Dont be afraid to walk away, there is more than one dealership out there

Im not sure of the margins, but shop around, the best way to get the best price is to

1. Bring cash

2. Go in the winter

3. Dont be afraid to walk away, there is more than one dealership out there

1. Cash means F'all nowadays. In fact, dealers/sales associate generally get a small kick back from the finance company's so they actually prefer financing. Ohh and don't be surprised if you walk in with wads of cash and get sent back out to get a certified cheque. No intelligent dealer would gamble with possibly getting thousands of dollars of counterfeit cash. ;)

2. Summer sale, fall sale, winter sale, spring sale....almost allllllways a sale going on. The only difference I'd keep my eye out for is financing specials. Sometimes at any random time of the year manufacturers will have 0% financing or deferred payment plans.

3. 100% agree! buy whenever you're ready and you're comfortable.

1. Cash means F'all nowadays. In fact, dealers/sales associate generally get a small kick back from the finance company's so they actually prefer financing. Ohh and don't be surprised if you walk in with wads of cash and get sent back out to get a certified cheque. No intelligent dealer would gamble with possibly getting thousands of dollars of counterfeit cash. ;)

2. Summer sale, fall sale, winter sale, spring sale....almost allllllways a sale going on. The only difference I'd keep my eye out for is financing specials. Sometimes at any random time of the year manufacturers will have 0% financing or deferred payment plans.

thank you yall with all the tips. I'll go shop around :)

1. Just because you apply for financing doesn't mean you'll get approved, and with cash they have to do no legwork. Cash still rules(everything around me, dolla dolla bill y'all)

2. Winter still applies to canada, so if your the only customer to walk into a motorcycle dealership in the last 6 weeks, odds are you'll get a better deal.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

thank you yall with all the tips. I'll go shop around :)

Redrock makes a good point about financing kick backs. If you have the cash in your bank account let the dealer know you don't care if you use it or his credit.

I'm not really into S/S's but those Duc's do look really nice. The only Italian reds I can afford come dry, in bottles.

If your seriously considering Ducati you have a choice of GP, Pennisula in Oakville , Apex in Cambridge. Otherwise your going to London or Ottawa.
Pick the dealer closest to you and make your deal. Everybody says for warranty work you can take it anywhere, and you can. But the guy you bought from will treat you better/faster, that's just the reality.

If you try to buy a bike with cash and its over 10k, the banks have a regulatory obligation to report the cash and there is some paperwork involved. Not saying it cant be done, but it can be work for the dealership.
A bank draft/certified cheque will have same bargaining power at a legitimate dealer.

You only get to make your deal once and in my experience by the fall or winter the salesman are pretty tired of the ballers and kickers that couldn't qualify for a large coffee on credit. Be nice, its better, they are just trying to feed thier families too.

@crankcall Maranello BMW/ Ducati in Vaughan too. Unless they closed down and I don't know about it.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom