Canada Motoguide wants to interview riders involved in the recent mass rides | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada Motoguide wants to interview riders involved in the recent mass rides

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
I've been asked by Canada Motoguide to pass on that they would like to get the riders' side of the story, with respect to the recent mass ride incidents in the GTA. To this end they would like to interview riders who were involved in these rides. They promise anonymity. I can provide contact information for magazine via private message.

http://canadamotoguide.com/

Eons ago I got caught up in a critical mass type event and maybe like me a few of those riders did the same. No one was injured and there was only minor inconvenience but never again.

Critical mass is gang intimidation, whether it's for ego or over political problems back home it has no place in a democracy. Anonymity would be a must. Could that deal be broken by a court order?

Eons ago I got caught up in a critical mass type event and maybe like me a few of those riders did the same. No one was injured and there was only minor inconvenience but never again.

Critical mass is gang intimidation, whether it's for ego or over political problems back home it has no place in a democracy. Anonymity would be a must. Could that deal be broken by a court order?

I doubt the crime was *that* serious to go to all that trouble to find one more person and make an example of them.. Law Enforcement only charged 10 people. I bet that they had much more evidence and information on other riders, but these 10 riders will be the easiest to charge/convict/make an example of etc. If the crime was a much more serious one, they could have picked up many more of these riders.

Last edited:
Canada has no first amendment, and the protection of reporter's sources is a gray area
so there is no guarantee of anonymity when talking to Canadian journalists

Canada has no first amendment, and the protection of reporter's sources is a gray area
so there is no guarantee of anonymity when talking to Canadian journalists

That's why cbc (and probably others) use an anonymous dropbox between source and media (https://securedrop.cbc.ca/). I am not sure it would work in this situation as I have never used it, but anonymous conversations shouldn't be technically complicated. Even if the media outlet is subject to a court order, they have nothing to give up other than the date and time of the conversation and whatever information you voluntarily gave them.

Last edited:
That's why cbc (and probably others) use an anonymous dropbox between source and media (https://securedrop.cbc.ca/). I am not sure it would work in this situation as I have never used it, but anonymous conversations shouldn't be technically complicated. Even if the media outlet is subject to a court order, they have nothing to give up other than the date and time of the conversation and whatever information you voluntarily gave them.

yep, that should protect the source
but makes it hard for journalists to verify the integrity of the info
if a magazine wants to write and publish this
I'm pretty sure they'd want verification the source was genuine
suppose there are ways to do that while still remaining anonymous

matter before SC of C dealing with this right now
RCMP vs VICE News
but that's terrorism, not motorcycle hooligans

I'd like to read that story to see what makes these people do the stupid **** they do.

For the record, a bill was enacted back in April with the intent of protecting journalistic sources. There may currently be cases making their way through the courts but, as of April 11, 2017, this is the law of the land:

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/S-231/third-reading

As I read it the info will take some judicial convincing to obtain, must be of substantial public interest and be unobtainable by other realistic means. T/F

per Javefan not law yet.

100% I agree the people involved in this group are a bunch of careless clowns....but c'mon, I think they are taking this a bit too seriously. Did any of you see footage of the "Ride of the century" in the US last week? This s#!t happens every single day down south in the states and happens what....once a year here? It doesn't seem like an on going weekend gathering. I don't see a reason for anyone to be interviewed

As I read it the info will take some judicial convincing to obtain, must be of substantial public interest and be unobtainable by other realistic means. T/F

per Javefan not law yet.

AS PASSED
BY THE SENATE
April 11, 2017

a little more on S-231, because I'm bored
the S tells you it's a bill that originated in the Senate
was introduced by a Conservative Senator
after committees and amendments, passed the Senate in April

was introduced as a private members bill in the House by a Conservative MP
as expected, although generally accepted, it has had a rocky road in the House
amendments out the wazoo, obstruction from the Liberals

this will probably pass, but a Conservative private members bill is not gonna be on the governments front burner

oh i thought this would be asking about the GOOD mass rides like mods and rockers, the moto social meetups and stuff like the DGR happening tomorrow.

nevermind!

I'd like to read that story to see what makes these people do the stupid **** they do.
Weren't you young once? The stupid stuff I did with my buddies on our dualsports in our teens, and that was before I got a sport bike. Granted it was usually 4 or 5 of us messing around, not 100 or so stunting and blocking the highway.
I'm not condoning what happened, but I can easily see the how/why of it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It's easy to see the how and why...people have gotten dumber and then add in social media to that.

Weren't you young once? The stupid stuff I did with my buddies on our dualsports in our teens, and that was before I got a sport bike. Granted it was usually 4 or 5 of us messing around, not 100 or so stunting and blocking the highway.
I'm not condoning what happened, but I can easily see the how/why of it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

of course its easy to see the how/why of it. people are dumb. these riders think their helmets and hiding their plates make them invincible. its akin to your typical 4chan loser troll who all think they're winning at life by being anonymous idiots.

Back
Top Bottom