600ish cc Naked Bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

600ish cc Naked Bikes?

Nash

Looking to pick up a new bike, I've been riding for about 3 months and just wrote off my 2012 Ninja 250 in a not at fault (taxi, U-turn). Was looking at an Fz08 and pretty much had my mind made up I was buying it until I got a quote from insurance. Wasn't overly surprised as I know they say over 600cc for a new rider is basically another bracket for insurance. Not giving up hope yet that I'll be able to find slightly more affordable insurance on it, but I have my doubts given my experience level.

I'm wondering if it might be better for insurance purposes to pick up something 500-650cc for a couple years. I like the look and riding position on the naked bikes (especially the yamaha FZs and Kawi Zs) more than sport bikes. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on some other options that are relatively new and between 500-650cc in the naked category? I've been looking and it seems there aren't really that many options out there. Budget is around 6k but I could probably be convinced to buy a new bike if it came down to it.

First post so hoping I'm not being a typical forum newbie and posting this is the wrong area. Appreciate any help or opinions!

If used:

SV650

If new:

Z650 or Fz 07 would both be good

Any of those would be powerful and fun

Last edited:
What he said^^^
Personally I'd have a long look at the new kawasaki z650 or the fz7.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Winter approacheth. If you can store a bike you could score a great deal from someone who cannot store a bike over the winter. Check out your insurance costs first.

maybe an aprilia shiver? I love mine. 750cc twin, sporty enough to have fun but not to entice you to loose you licence,super cheap to insure, looks great.. (changing to 900 for this yr but 750s can still be found new or used). great bike and tons of fun to ride but as im sure someone will chime in there is a limited dealer network so parts/service can be a pain if you are not comfortable doing stuff yourself. nothing is perfect i guess.

What he said^^^
Personally I'd have a long look at the new kawasaki z650 or the fz7.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Big fan of both of these bikes, but new they might be a little out of my price range when its all said and done. The FZ07 might be worth looking into, but the FZ08 was over $3k a year for insurance.

Winter approacheth. If you can store a bike you could score a great deal from someone who cannot store a bike over the winter. Check out your insurance costs first.

I can, have a garage available to me I'd just have to ride a couple hours to the rents place or trailer it if it was the dead of the winter. I'm itching to get back on a bike before the seasons over but I suppose I might be better to wait even a month or so.

Duke 390 looks to be a hooligan machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try speaking to a different insurance company, I use Paul and Surnet. I have a fz09 and pay way less than what I used to pay for my 600 and 750.

I ran a couple quotes on new bikes and I think insurance makes buying new not really an option. I'm hoping to pay less than $2.5k/yr (on the fz). Is that unreasonable, or way too much?

Try speaking to a different insurance company, I use Paul and Surnet. I have a fz09 and pay way less than what I used to pay for my 600 and 750.

I will give them and a few other places a call re: the fz08 but keep in mind I've only been riding since July.

If 2.5k is your general cap for insurance costs on your first year of riding, (not sure on your age, assuming you're 20something in the GTA) then you aren't going to find many options until next July at the earliest for the 650+CC category of nakeds. Or anything actually, aside from cruisers maybe.
Also I hope you're ok after the taxi uturn, those are rough :(

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Best to learn to ride the smaller bike first, and figure out what type of riding you do, before you jump to something bigger. Three months is hardly scratching the surface, and you've just written off a bike.

not really a naked, but a great little bike and cheap to insure, FZ6
has a half fairing, upright seating position, re-mapped I4 from the R6
great all around bike that performs well, suspension and brakes quite good

stopped production in 2010, but low mileage ones can be found in the 3000-3500 range

Yeah its gonna be tough to find anything less than 2.5k for insurance, especially on your first year essentially.

If thats a deal breaker, i suggest either

1. Sticking it out on a smaller bike again for a few years

or

2. Waiting it out, a bunch of companies look at when you got your license as proof of how long you have been riding(although some also care about continuous coverage as well)

Last edited:
If 2.5k is your general cap for insurance costs on your first year of riding, (not sure on your age, assuming you're 20something in the GTA) then you aren't going to find many options until next July at the earliest for the 650+CC category of nakeds. Or anything actually, aside from cruisers maybe.
Also I hope you're ok after the taxi uturn, those are rough :(

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the insight from everyone.! Im 26, in GTA. Sounds like I either have to accept the insurance rates on a bigger bike or settle for a little less power for a year or two.

OP - you keep saying FZ-08. Do you mean FZ-09? As far as I know there is only the 07 and 09.

As for insurance check with state farm, I've always found them to have the best price for bike insurance. At 23 with my M2 my FZ 09 was $1900 / year no collision with state farm. It dropped to $1800 this year. I've since upgraded to an M, but that happened after renewal. I've been riding since I was 21.

That said, I was buying a new bike every year until I bought the FZ09. I'm on summer 2 with it, and I love it! It'll beat any 600cc sport bike to triple digits, very comfortable to ride (except the seat), and it looks great. Being that you've only got a few months of experience I wouldnt recommend it. It's a lot of bike for a beginner. The throttle isn't forgiving. In 1st or 2nd gear one snap of the throttle and you're on 1 wheel. Even at 100 km/h.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
it's called FZ8
not FZ 08

very different bike from the 09 and 07

FZ8 was the progression of the FZ6, a half faired I4 powered bike
under-bored version of the FZ1 engine
was only available for a few years

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom