2017_09_17 Goodwood Rd & Lakeridge. GWS all involved | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017_09_17 Goodwood Rd & Lakeridge. GWS all involved

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
How does this even happen? Passing, turning?? In any case it's a mess and I wish a speedy recovery to all involved.

from yorkregion.com
Uxbridge husband, father Jeff Lee, 49, struck while cycling by motorocycle with Markham couple aboard

NEWS 04:27 PM by Jeremy Grimaldi Newmarket Era
Firefighter injured
An Ornge air ambulance helicopter airlifted Jeff Lee to hospital after he was struck by a motorcycle while cycling in Uxbridge. - Colin Williamson photo
A captain at Newmarket and Aurora’s Central York Fire Service has been badly injured during an off-duty weekend crash in Uxbridge.

Jeffrey Lee, 49, a husband and father from Uxbridge, was badly injured Sept. 17 after his bicycle collided with a motorcycle, after which he was rushed to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto via Ornge air ambulance with life-threatening injuries.

According to Kevin Saxton, president of the Central York Professional Firefighters Association, Lee's condition has since stabilized.

“We had someone down there right away to help with him and his family," Saxton said. "There will be more guys over the next couple of days. He’s like family. It hit home pretty hard. It works people up. We have gone through things like this in the past. It brings it all back.”

Saxton said although he believes everything will work out for Lee, it may just be a matter of time and hard work.

“He’s over the hump, but has a long road ahead,” he said. “He’s an important part of the organization. He’s a great guy; he’s conscientious and very good at his job.”

Central York Fire Chief Ian Laing said his thoughts are with Lee and his family.

"We're hoping for a speedy recovery," he said.

The driver of the motorcycle, 53, and his wife and passenger, 46, both from Markham, were treated for minor injuries and released from hospital, according to Durham police.

Durham police continue to investigate.

The crash occurred on Goodwood Road, just west of Lake Ridge Road, in Uxbridge. The bicycle was travelling east on Goodwood Road and the motrocycle; west, according to police.

According to Lee's LinkedIn account, he's been a firefighter with Central York Fire Services for 21 years and a captain for 12.

How does this even happen? Passing, turning??

Lee's from Uxbridge; to get there from eastbound on Goodwood Rd he could have been making a left turn from Goodwood onto Lake Ridge. It could be that he turned into the path of the westbound motorcycle or the motorcycle crossed the centreline and struck him in the turning lane. The story says the accident occurred just west of Lake Ridge; perhaps Lee crossed the westbound lanes prior to the intersection. Hopefully the police investigate and can offer his family some idea of what happened.

In any case it's a mess and I wish a speedy recovery to all involved.

Indeed. GWS all riders.

Oh man! That's so bizarre. GWS all riders.

Stay alert everybody, especially on those "nice, quiet country roads".

OMG, I raced with him. He was riding to the trails at Goodwood and Con 7. He is a very responsible/capable rider. Hope everyone gets back to full health

Lee's from Uxbridge; to get there from eastbound on Goodwood Rd he could have been making a left turn from Goodwood onto Lake Ridge. It could be that he turned into the path of the westbound motorcycle or the motorcycle crossed the centreline and struck him in the turning lane. The story says the accident occurred just west of Lake Ridge; perhaps Lee crossed the westbound lanes prior to the intersection. Hopefully the police investigate and can offer his family some idea of what happened.

Indeed. GWS all riders.

GWS riders!

It appears it happened just east of the light at Concession 7.

My wife and I were coming back from Toronto later Sunday night heading home to Port Perry. Goodwood was closed at Concession 7 to Lakeridge. I was in lead and didn't see the Motorcycle because I was watching a van in front of us that was confused by the road being closed and, while they were signalling right turn (which was the wrong way to go to get around the closure) might just as likely turned left. My wife later told me she saw the motorcycle and that police were putting down markers investigating the scene.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom