Stator Cover Replacement | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stator Cover Replacement

Livewir3

Edit: The bike is an 08 CBR 1000rr

Need to replace the stator cover but not sure how much of oil the 08 CBR holds.

Do i have to drain the oil prior to taking the cover off? Or can i lean the bike to the right side and not have to drain it?

Last edited:
Motor size would be helpful. use sightglass/dipstick. Yes you can lean it over but make sure there's no debris in there anywhere based on the assumption that it fell over and the cover cracked

Last edited:
I don't see how leaning it enough to do this could be easier than draining the oil. Why the hesitation with draining it?

Does the CBR stator have oil in it? My Yamaha doesn't.

I would be surprised if any stator had oil near it. It is possible that removing the stator cover exposes oil in a different compartment (such as the transmission). OP didn't post an actual model so it's hard to tell what they could be dealing with.

Apologies. Updated the original post.

Yes the stator does have some oil in the case.

No issue draining it. I am more curious.

When I replaced the stator on my 2000 VFR800 a tiny bit of oil came out, but it was on the center stand.

It wasn't enough to warrant draining the oil or topping it up later on.

Don't bother draining it. If you drain it, you'll have to replace all of it (assuming you're not due for an oil change), whereas if you just remove the stator cover you only need to replace the little bit that dribbles out if it's even needed.

Don't bother draining it. If you drain it, you'll have to replace all of it (assuming you're not due for an oil change), whereas if you just remove the stator cover you only need to replace the little bit that dribbles out if it's even needed.

Exactly my intention. Thanks for confirming.

just lean it over on its right side aganist the wall, you should have minimal spilling.

I don't think that 1000RR has a gasket, so use a good quality sealant.

Careful with the bolts that hold the stator against the cover, they usually have red locktite, so don't strip them.

just lean it over on its right side aganist the wall, you should have minimal spilling.

I don't think that 1000RR has a gasket, so use a good quality sealant.

Careful with the bolts that hold the stator against the cover, they usually have red locktite, so don't strip them.

Will heating with a torch to help dissolve red locktite damage the case coating?

When I changed the cover on my 650R I drained the oil and the cover was coated inside. I presumed the stator lived in an oil bath (which was actually a bit surprising to me).

I had no issues getting the red-loctite bolts off. I also reused them and did not put in more loctite. Was kind of worried a bolt might come out and destroy things but it lasted years and the next owner destroyed the whole bike the day after I dropped it off anyway.

Not the same machine but figured my experience might be relevant.

Will heating with a torch to help dissolve red locktite damage the case coating?

sounds like he's changing out the cover
so heating it and the possible issues with that
are really not a concern to the old cover

but I'd be concerned about the amount of heat required
to break the loctite bond down the length of the screws
doing bad things to the stator and its windings

would suggest avoiding the heat
securing the stator and cover assembly to be stationary
and ensuring the correct size and good quality tooling are used
by someone that has handled mechanical tools before

sounds like he's changing out the cover
so heating it and the possible issues with that
are really not a concern to the old cover

but I'd be concerned about the amount of heat required
to break the loctite bond down the length of the screws
doing bad things to the stator and its windings

would suggest avoiding the heat
securing the stator and cover assembly to be stationary
and ensuring the correct size and good quality tooling are used
by someone that has handled mechanical tools before

I seem to recall a good portion of the stator being made of plastic on my 650R so I'd also say to stay away from a torch.

If draining good / newer oil is necessary, why can't you use a clean catch pan for the oil, and reuse it? I don't think the properties of the oil are affected, are they?

Why not just change it? It's like $20 in oil cost.

If draining good / newer oil is necessary, why can't you use a clean catch pan for the oil, and reuse it? I don't think the properties of the oil are affected, are they?

Done it before. As long as you keep foreign matter out, it's fine.

If it's close to the change interval, might as well change it.

Reducing any oil loss just saves having to do an oil change. One less thing to do if it's easy not to.

Why not just change it? It's like $20 in oil cost.

where are you getting oil for $20 for a oil change ? usually 2.8-4l per change depending on the motor.

where are you getting oil for $20 for a oil change ? usually 2.8-4l per change depending on the motor.

The syn oil I run isn't $20 that's for damn sure, so I stick with the lean technique whenever I can

If the cover has a hole through it I would change the oil just to eliminate the chance of any foreign objects that could have got in the engine staying in the engine, other then that nothing wrong with the lean

Back
Top Bottom