Stator Cover Replacement - Page 2



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Stator Cover Replacement

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,592

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Ok $30? 4L of T6 comes to $27 at Canadian Tire right now and Google tells me it's occasionally priced lower.

    The Fuchs Titan full syth I use in my car is only $30 for 5L.

    Honestly I haven't had to buy motor oil for my bike in awhile (2 stroke) so I guess I was a bit off.

    It's not like it's BMW transfer case fluid which is $60/L.
    Last edited by unL33T; 10-12-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    2009 Aprilia RS125 (14k, just rebuilt for the 3rd time) | 1987 Porsche 944 N/A 5 spd (300k, Miller MAF) | 2007 BMW X3 6 spd (176k)
    PM to buy some ACF-50 rust protection spray.

  2. #22

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Ok $30? 4L of T6 comes to $27 at Canadian Tire right now and Google tells me it's occasionally priced lower.

    The Fuchs Titan full syth I use in my car is only $30 for 5L.

    Honestly I haven't had to buy motor oil for my bike in awhile (2 stroke) so I guess I was a bit off.

    It's not like it's BMW transfer case fluid which is $60/L.
    I get it cheaper then this locally but its not under $60 unless its on a seal of a sale
    4L is $98.99
    https://fortnine.ca/en/motul-300v-4t...-synthetic-oil

    People will argue you don't need this or that oil, "I buy my oil from Canadian Tire for $20", etc etc ......That is just my preference in oils, to each their own but its not $20 per oil change for me

    Draining $20 oil wouldn't hurt as much but why waste good oil if you don't have too at any cost
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 10-12-2017 at 06:51 PM.

  3. #23

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    would guess at least 50% of Japanese street bikes in Canada are running around with T6 in the crankcase
    and while it's just a personal preference thing, if I opened an engine, oil is gonna get dumped

    but to each his own

  4. #24

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    would guess at least 50% of Japanese street bikes in Canada are running around with T6 in the crankcase
    and while it's just a personal preference thing, if I opened an engine, oil is gonna get dumped

    but to each his own
    Like I said to each their own on the oil brand, cost, where you buy it, but the question he had was

    "Need to replace the stator cover but not sure how much of oil the 08 CBR holds."

    "Do i have to drain the oil prior to taking the cover off? Or can i lean the bike to the right side and not have to drain it?"

    Answer is YES you can......However being GTA motorcycle anything posted that has to do with oil, ends up in a T6 is the best oil debate...LOL

  5. #25

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    the original question....how is that relevant to anything?

    cheers bro.....forum needs a thanks button

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,592

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Answer is YES you can......However being GTA motorcycle anything posted that has to do with oil, ends up in a T6 is the best oil debate...LOL
    Wasn't trying to start a debate that it's the best. Just used it for comparison as I've seen cheaper oil and more expensive oil. $98 for 4L is nuts to me. BMW doesn't even charge that for their overpriced engine oil.
    2009 Aprilia RS125 (14k, just rebuilt for the 3rd time) | 1987 Porsche 944 N/A 5 spd (300k, Miller MAF) | 2007 BMW X3 6 spd (176k)
    PM to buy some ACF-50 rust protection spray.

  7. #27
    dricked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On 2 wheels
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    There should be a flashing alarm on the Gtam home page every time Rotella T6 goes on sale.

  8. #28

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    There should be a flashing alarm on the Gtam home page every time Rotella T6 goes on sale.
    It was on sale up until yesterday.
    Pro #56 - 2014 ZX-10R.
    - Inglis Cycle - Hellfury Motorsports - STB - POR-15 - Vortex - Bickle Racing - Bluestreak Racing - Dunlop & Pro 6 Cycle - Hindle Exhaust - VnM Sport Gear -

  9. #29

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    I forgot to update this thread. How did everyone know i use T6? LOL

    So yeah, i put the bike up on the rear and front stands and removed the cover. A few drops came out, nothing more.

    Thanks for all the feedback.

  10. #30
    dricked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On 2 wheels
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by caboose56 View Post
    It was on sale up until yesterday.
    Truck needs oil soon, I’ll watch here for the next sale.

  11. #31

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Livewir3 View Post
    I forgot to update this thread. How did everyone know i use T6? LOL

    So yeah, i put the bike up on the rear and front stands and removed the cover. A few drops came out, nothing more.

    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I just replaced my stator. I had also read that only a few drops come out if the bike is on a centrestand. About 300ml came out instead.

    And it was fresh T6 too.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    4,891

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    I just replaced my stator. I had also read that only a few drops come out if the bike is on a centrestand. About 300ml came out instead.

    And it was fresh T6 too.
    Do you need a new seal too? Was that oil in the stator compartment or another cavity?

  13. #33

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Yes I put in a new seal. I think the oil was in that cavity, but when it happened I wasn't expecting it, so I quickly left to get rags and a container and by then it was all out and on the floor. Now I keep containers nearby and a bag of rags
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  14. #34

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    I just replaced my stator. I had also read that only a few drops come out if the bike is on a centrestand. About 300ml came out instead.

    And it was fresh T6 too.
    Some bikes differ, my FZ09 a fair amount of oil dropped out, after having to emery cloth the old gasket off i decided just to do a complete oil change.

  15. #35

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    Some bikes differ, my FZ09 a fair amount of oil dropped out, after having to emery cloth the old gasket off i decided just to do a complete oil change.
    That gasket was stuck on pretty good, so I carefully used an exacto knife on it. I didn't know about emery cloth - thanks!
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

    https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

  16. #36
    dricked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On 2 wheels
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    That gasket was stuck on pretty good, so I carefully used an exacto knife on it. I didn't know about emery cloth - thanks!
    Acetone will strip off old gasket residue real quick.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    27

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    Interesting, I used a combo of plastic knife/putty spatula and brass brush....but i'm going to try acetone.

    My stator just bit the dust like burnt toast, was missing 1 phase shorted to ground.

  18. #38
    theassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    312

    Re: Stator Cover Replacement

    If a stator failed due to a short and it overheated the winding your oil is contaminated with burnt epoxy from the winding insulation which is abrasive so the engine oil MUST be changed. If it's just a cracked cover then the oil can remain.
    Sometimes you'd be suprised to find out who is standing there listening to you....what they hear may be something completely different.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •