Side mounted license plate | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Side mounted license plate

47be43910edb99069f4ca3561fbd6fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
The bike looks nice.

The license plate in that spot is very dangerous to ride once you start cornering with the bike leaned over. Once it hits the ground, it can lift your rear wheel off the ground and down you go.

As a new rider you probably have not learned the proper body positioning for cornering yet, so the bike may lean more than necessary in the corners.

Get the plate relocated ASAP for your safety.

The bike looks nice.

The license plate in that spot is very dangerous to ride once you start cornering with the bike leaned over. Once it hits the ground, it can lift your rear wheel off the ground and down you go.

As a new rider you probably have not learned the proper body positioning for cornering yet, so the bike may lean more than necessary in the corners.

Get the plate relocated ASAP for your safety.

Thank you for an honest answer. I will look into. Also I think will put back the original lighting system

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

take whats there and bolt it to the under tail plastic. since when is this rocket science? I must say, this thread did make my day.

take whats there and bolt it to the under tail plastic. since when is this rocket science? I must say, this thread did make my day.

It would still be technically too far forward. Now she has a note in her file for a license plate mounted incorrectly they won't be as cooperative next time. If scuba steve can give her the original system for free, she is in great shape.

Benny! Comes outta retirement with another zinger! Lolz

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

It would still be technically too far forward. Now she has a note in her file for a license plate mounted incorrectly they won't be as cooperative next time. If scuba steve can give her the original system for free, she is in great shape.
Right at the start of the black plastic under the light is completely fine. as long as it can be seen.

Hilarious what some riders will do to make reading a plate more difficult, even if it looks totally stupid. Be content and know that our plates' numbers are so small they are difficult enough to read at speed, unlike our European cousins who have license plates so huge they look more natural on an 18 wheeler. It's stunts like this that will arouse a bloated government bureaucracy to look for "improvements" and we will soon also have dinner-plate sized plates.

eBay would probably find you an OEM plate bracket for $10. Or get a door hinge at Canadian Tire, screw two self tapping screws up into under the taillight and two to the plate. Take a pair of vice grips and pinch the hinge until it no longer swings. This is an old school plate flipper. Or order one on Amazon for $7

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Adjustable-Folding-License-Kawasaki/dp/B00KT3B7UA

I thought these ones looked alright, but you'd have to loctitie every bolt:

http://tinyurl.com/yarsnml4

Just so you know, the license plate has to be the furthest thing to the rear of the motorcycle. Police everywhere are using this as an excuse to pull sportbikes over everywhere, in the US as well. Look at your bike from the side view and make sure the license plate is the last thing you see at the rear.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This whole thing is a non-issue. Op has sold the bike and is currently shopping for a different bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I was pulled over for this last summer. Bufort T. Justice comes flying after me with his siren and lights on his OPP cruiser, storms up and throws out a litany of complaints to me. He's complaining about the size of my turn signals, and where the plate is (mounted sideways on the left side of the bike). I explained to him that the lights (marker lights from a semi truck) were DOT legal. Then he starts talking about the plate. I asked him to find me the section where it says its illegal. He runs back to his car and calls in to HQ. He's flipping madly through the pages of his copy of the HTA. Then he walks back to me, no section cited and no ticket in hand. "You know you guys on the bikes really take a chance with those small lights...I'm sure that plate shouldn't be like that etc...I'm not going to write you a ticket etc...I gotta go..." And he zoomed off, but not before I mentioned I would be prepared to turn the plate horizontally. So I did. That's it. It's still on the side of the bike. I was waiting for the ticket so I could go to court with it. There's nothing wrong with a side mounted plate. Nowhere in the HTA does it say specifically that it is illegal. The law has to be clear. The plate must be displayed clearly, which it is. The officer had no trouble seeing it and running it. The argument that you can't see it from one side of the bike is grasping at straws. You can't see a properly mounted plate from the side of any bike.

Same old Ontario where they don't like anyone having fun. If I had fought it and won the OPP might have ran to the legislators to get a specific amendment for no good reason whatsoever. It's just complaining from a bunch of old fuddys.

I was pulled over for this last summer. Bufort T. Justice comes flying after me with his siren and lights on his OPP cruiser, storms up and throws out a litany of complaints to me. He's complaining about the size of my turn signals, and where the plate is (mounted sideways on the left side of the bike). I explained to him that the lights (marker lights from a semi truck) were DOT legal. Then he starts talking about the plate. I asked him to find me the section where it says its illegal. He runs back to his car and calls in to HQ. He's flipping madly through the pages of his copy of the HTA. Then he walks back to me, no section cited and no ticket in hand. "You know you guys on the bikes really take a chance with those small lights...I'm sure that plate shouldn't be like that etc...I'm not going to write you a ticket etc...I gotta go..." And he zoomed off, but not before I mentioned I would be prepared to turn the plate horizontally. So I did. That's it. It's still on the side of the bike. I was waiting for the ticket so I could go to court with it. There's nothing wrong with a side mounted plate. Nowhere in the HTA does it say specifically that it is illegal. The law has to be clear. The plate must be displayed clearly, which it is. The officer had no trouble seeing it and running it. The argument that you can't see it from one side of the bike is grasping at straws. You can't see a properly mounted plate from the side of any bike.

Same old Ontario where they don't like anyone having fun. If I had fought it and won the OPP might have ran to the legislators to get a specific amendment for no good reason whatsoever. It's just complaining from a bunch of old fuddys.
Some cops are using this on you cruiser guys:

Additionally Section 13(2) of the H.T.A. states:

"Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried."

So those side mounted plates that can be seen from the left side of the bike are now being targeted as well, with the argument that the plate is not at the rear most of the bike, thus is being obstructed by the rear tire if viewing the plate from the right side.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157885

As for sportbikes, if your plate isn't at the most rear of the bike you will eventually get pulled over. That's a guarantee.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a sticky lettering to cover the "Ontario, yours to discover" and cover it with "Ontario, where fun is illegal." Technically, it's not concealing as the plate numbers are still visible. It certainly would send a message to the Government of Ontario, as well, you'd get the attention of Tourism Ontario. Hit them back where it hurts - money!

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a sticky lettering to cover the "Ontario, yours to discover" and cover it with "Ontario, where fun is illegal." Technically, it's not concealing as the plate numbers are still visible. It certainly would send a message to the Government of Ontario, as well, you'd get the attention of Tourism Ontario. Hit them back where it hurts - money!

Technically not legal either. You still get the ticket. Technically the frame every dealership puts on the cars is illegal. You posted the relevant text "so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times". Covering anything can get you a ticket (I guess by the letter of the law, the bolts used to hold the plate on are illegal).

Roadghost is half correct, I don't know of any law that says your plate cannot be mounted sideways(vertically). However the law you cited is used to ticket bikes with the plate mounted on one side of the bike. Maybe instead of a fender eliminator, someone could use a sideways plate as a fender/light mount and it would be legal. For me, anything I can do to lower the heat score on a bike makes me happy.

Last edited:
If OP didn't revive this thread for no reason, this whole thing would be a non-issue.
True enough. Lol

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Some cops are using this on you cruiser guys:

Additionally Section 13(2) of the H.T.A. states:

"Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried."

So those side mounted plates that can be seen from the left side of the bike are now being targeted as well, with the argument that the plate is not at the rear most of the bike, thus is being obstructed by the rear tire if viewing the plate from the right side.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157885

As for sportbikes, if your plate isn't at the most rear of the bike you will eventually get pulled over. That's a guarantee.

I have seen that section in the Act. There's only one small detail being forgotten. That when the plate is mounted on the left side of the motorcycle it is also 30% more visible when viewed from the side of the bike. Not so when it is tail mounted. On the tail you could make the argument that the turn signals on many bikes obstruct the side view. In the end it comes down to quibbling over peanuts. While mounting it vertically can be seen as an obfuscation, but not horizontally. I would make that argument to a judge. The argument about the wheel is no more valid than if I said "If you look at it from the front the bike gets in the way". Let's be realistic: mounted at the side is perfectly visible. It is not a problem unless you invent a problem.

This isn't rocket science people -just remount it where its supposed to be in (roughly) the stock position and avoid all the unnecessary trauma ?

Back
Top Bottom