Side mounted license plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Side mounted license plate

adrisen

I was pulled over this morning because I have my license plate side mounted. Now I did. It personally put it there as I purchased the bike like that. I was not given a ticket but was told to move it. What's involved in moving it and do I actually have to. Would the dealership not have moved it if it's illegal .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I was pulled over this morning because I have my license plate side mounted. Now I did. It personally put it there as I purchased the bike like that. I was not given a ticket but was told to move it. What's involved in moving it and do I actually have to. Would the dealership not have moved it if it's illegal .

Yes, technically its illegal if not mounted in the "correct" place. Dealership didn't sell it as new, mounted in that position as the bike was most likely traded in and they just sold it on. Not sure if dealership is legally obliged to sell the bike with plates mounted in the "correct" fashion or not.

After the whole motorcycle mob stuff from the past two years, cops will use any excuse to make a stop to gather information etc.

EDIT: 1 min and GOOGLE search brought this: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?111339-Side-mount-verticle-licence-plate!

Lots of information there

Last edited:
What's involved in moving it. Is it difficult

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Order the original license plate mount or buy another aftermarket on that will mount legally (aka not sideways).

No, not hard it's only bolted on.

Might be useful if we knew WHAT bike your speaking of, (then someone with the same bike can advise or take a photo of their plate position. As for the original mounting spot google your bike and look at all the pretty pics showing the plate mount or the plate.

Dealerships are NOT required to relocate the plate, it is not a safety issue. It IS your responsibility to ensure all the equipment on your bike meets the required spec. Any deviation, "can" result in a ticket. Yours would be for improperly mounted plate, also could ding you for plate not visible, (it MUST be visible from ALL angles to the rear of the bike, including a side angle from the opposite side to where it is currently mounted).

Now that you have been stopped, no more free rides, the officer would have recorded the warning in the CPIC system. This means EVERY other officer will see that you were stopped and warned, so you can't "play dumb" that you were unaware.

Did someone put a tail tidy on the bike and relocate the plate?
If that's the case you might have to pay to put it back to OEM, or buy a better tidy kit and hope the plate clears the back tire sufficiently.
You may also have a wiring octopus to deal with under the seat and tail.

Pics would be good. Block out the plate number.

47be43910edb99069f4ca3561fbd6fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Did someone put a tail tidy on the bike and relocate the plate?
If that's the case you might have to pay to put it back to OEM, or buy a better tidy kit and hope the plate clears the back tire sufficiently.
You may also have a wiring octopus to deal with under the seat and tail.

Pics would be good. Block out the plate number.
You are in luck i have a stock undertail assembly with light and plate mount you can have for a sv all you have to do is come pick it up. Pm me if you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sorry that looks just ridiculous on a sv650, if it was a bobber or a cruiser I'd understand.

Yes its illegal, most guys run it on the side but still horizontal

Sorry that looks just ridiculous on a sv650, if it was a bobber or a cruiser I'd understand.

Yes its illegal, most guys run it on the side but still horizontal

I agree. That's one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.

You are in luck i have a stock undertail assembly with light and plate mount you can have for a sv all you have to do is come pick it up. Pm me if you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
@adrisen run, do not walk, RUN and accept this offer.
I normally do not comment on the looks of ppls bikes bc beauty in the eye blah blah but that is terrible.
I'm bored stuck at home. Pick me up and I'll keep you company for the ride ?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I'm bored stuck at home. Pick me up and I'll keep you company for the ride ��

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Hopefully she has a car.

I gave my dad a ride on the Ape one time. He has some serious gravity to him. Keeping the front wheel down was a nightmare and it pushed through corners like a fwd car with a locked diff. If I was learning to ride and had that experience, we would have been in the rhubarb for sure.

Back
Top Bottom