Highways with 80km/hr or less with M1 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Highways with 80km/hr or less with M1

Hi

I have a M1 license.

Does "Avoid Highways" setting in Google Maps take you through the roads that are less than or equal to 80 km/hr as in to fulfill the requirement of M1 license?

I am looking to travel to Bancroft from Oakville.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you go from M1 straight to M? Most people go through M2 first.

I think you are overthinking your routing. I would pick any road that isn't a divided highway and head north for a while, then head east. Stop occasionally to check a map (or have GPS going) to see where you are with respect to where you need to go. Trying to keep track of your 28 turns will be a nightmare

Divided highways in ontario are over 80, IIRC the road over algonquin is 90, almost everything else is 80 or less.

open google maps, click route settings, tick "avoid highways", done

M1 directly to M isn't happening, sorry it just isn't

Can you go from M1 straight to M? Most people go through M2 first.

I think you are overthinking your routing. I would pick any road that isn't a divided highway and head north for a while, then head east. Stop occasionally to check a map (or have GPS going) to see where you are with respect to where you need to go. Trying to keep track of your 28 turns will be a nightmare

Divided highways in ontario are over 80, IIRC the road over algonquin is 90, almost everything else is 80 or less.

Thanks for the insight. I will keep a lookout.

That's exactly what I am doing to avoid highways but was not sure if "avoid highways" did the deal.

As for the other comment, I believe we as community members should give positive inputs and not make presumptuous statements or remain neutral. My 2 cents. I myself know it is probably not going to happen not because of my abilities to ride but other reasons.

Last edited:
Sorry dude, I was just letting you know, they don't allow it. Whether bike or cage, they will never let anyone skip the second level. Even if you had a license before and let it expire. I was once able to do G1 written and then exit road test in the same day after expiring by waiting on standby, but not the highway test.

The answer is no. 'Avoid highways' setting will not limit you to 80km/h or less. There are more 90 km/h highways than you may think. One towards Windsor that runs parallel to the 401, which is exactly where Google would route you.

Having said that, it's only a problem if all three of these unlikely conditions are true at the same time:
- Google routes you onto a 90km/h regional road.
- You get pulled over in that section of your route.
- They notice the infraction and they don't appreciate that you were at least trying to avoid main highways.

Sorry dude, I was just letting you know, they don't allow it. Whether bike or cage, they will never let anyone skip the second level. Even if you had a license before and let it expire. I was once able to do G1 written and then exit road test in the same day after expiring by waiting on standby, but not the highway test.

Sorry from my side as well. I mistook your comment. Hey, if anything this restores my faith in the community :D

The answer is no. 'Avoid highways' setting will not limit you to 80km/h or less. There are more 90 km/h highways than you may think. One towards Windsor that runs parallel to the 401, which is exactly where Google would route you.

Having said that, it's only a problem if all three of these unlikely conditions are true at the same time:
- Google routes you onto a 90km/h regional road.
- You get pulled over in that section of your route.
- They notice the infraction and they don't appreciate that you were at least trying to avoid main highways.

How much would this infraction cost me? Any idea?

....As for the other comment, I believe we as community members should give positive inputs and not make presumptuous statements or remain neutral. My 2 cents. I myself know it is probably not going to happen not because of my abilities to ride but other reasons.

You definitely haven't been on GTAM for long....

If you edit your posts the reply don't make any sense. Re-ask the question.

How much would this infraction cost me? Any idea?
There is no infraction. You're allowed on 90km/h highways like hwy 11 north of Barrie for example. You are not allowed on any 400 series hwy with an m1, ie 401, 404 etc.
"Avoid Highways" will do this for you.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Highway 11 and others are explocitly exempt from the restriction. Hwy 2 isn't.

I dunno what the fine would be. Question for the law experts here.

I thought you're only not allowed on highways with a speed limit of 100 km/h or more.

An example of a non 400 highway with that would be the EC row express way in windsor. It's 100km/hr and you're not allowed on it.

Google it. Pretty strait forward, at least it was 6 years ago when I went through it.

Edit, here's my quick google search. It was hard but I spent a minute on it...,,,,,......

not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655

**** it. I'm drunk. You know the restrictions. Haha. Sorry.

Last edited:
M1 licence
By law, if you have an M1 licence, you must:

maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)
wear an approved helmet
not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655
always drive alone - you may not carry passengers

Avoid the 400 series highway and you should be fine - most of the major highways to the north that are basically unavoidable without adding days to a long trip are exempt, as listed in the MTO docs quote above.

BTW, The "avoid highways" feature in Google Maps will not necessarily be your saviour - it WILL still route you on highways, just lesser ones. For example, from my place to Algonquin with no avoidances it routes me up the 115 and then basically straight up Highway 35 which most people would still consider a "Highway". With "Avoid highways" enabled....same route more or less except it avoids the 115. In this case it works because the 115 is the only section with an =/>90KPH limit, but I wouldn't trust it solely.

In short, plan your trip and do a little digging - finding speed limit data on major roads isn't that hard.

"The holder of a Class M1 driver’s licence may drive a motorcycle on a highway subject to the following conditions:
1. Revoked: O. Reg. 205/10, s. 4.
2. The motorcycle may only be driven from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
3. No passenger may be carried on the motorcycle.
4. The motorcycle may not be driven on a highway with a speed limit in excess of 80 kilometres per hour other than those parts of the King’s Highway known as Nos. 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 7"

and

"9. (1) The Registrar shall, after giving notice, suspend or cancel the driver’s licence of a novice driver as provided in subsection (2) in the following circumstance:
1. The novice driver is convicted of any of the offences described in subsection (3). O. Reg. 205/10, s. 6.
(2) Subject to subsections (4) and 10 (5), the Registrar shall,
(a) upon a novice driver’s first conviction for any of the offences, suspend the driver’s licence of the person for 30 days;
(b) upon a novice driver’s second conviction for any of the offences, suspend the driver’s licence of the person for 90 days; and
(c) upon a novice driver’s third conviction for any of the offences, cancel the driver’s licence of the person. O. Reg. 205/10, s. 6.
(3) Subsection (1) applies with respect to any of the following offences:
1. An offence under subsection 44.1 (3) of the Act.
2. A contravention of any of the conditions specified in section 5, 6 or 7 of this Regulation.
3. An offence under the Act set out in Column 1 of the Table to the Demerit Point Regulation for which the number of demerit points set out opposite thereto in Column 2 is four or more, regardless of whether or not demerit points have been recorded.
4. An offence under subsection 216 (3) of the Act.
5. An offence under section 78 or 78.1 of the Act. O. Reg. 205/10, s. 6; O. Reg. 227/15, s. 1.

"

A lost or suspended license will do you no favors when it comes to insurance.

saw that huge list of roads you originally had up, looked like it would be very hard to follow unless you had a GPS

best way I know to get across the GTA avoiding highways is King Road to King City
one block north then Bloomington Sideroad east
that'll get you to Port Perry
from there you can go the north route you listed
or just take #7 all the way over to #62 and then north to Bancroft

Belated thought, if your plate is good, and you behave, you wouldn't get pulled over anyway. Could probably ride 401 from windsor to quebec without ever having flashing lights behind you. Aside from having the old paper temp permits, I can honestly say that I have never been stopped without having done something wrong.

Belated thought, if your plate is good, and you behave, you wouldn't get pulled over anyway. Could probably ride 401 from windsor to quebec without ever having flashing lights behind you. Aside from having the old paper temp permits, I can honestly say that I have never been stopped without having done something wrong.

IIRC, getting caught results in license suspension though. Insurance is bad enough for a new rider with a clean record, that may end their riding career right there.

Back
Top Bottom