My first ride ever | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first ride ever

The course was great, It's a whole different experience between when I was first on the bike compared to now, just a day after graduating.
The insurance started today, so I was able to get the plate for the bike on now and took it for an actual 20km trip around my area.

I took it on a 80kmph highway and noticed one thing...The wind is very powerful in terms of blowing you around. I don't know if it's just cause my leather jacket was full of air, so it was blowing me around more than what a tight riding jacket would, or if that's normal?

Also, is it normal to be nervous when riding? Obviously I'm going to be nervous as a new rider, getting used to things, but do experienced riders still feel the same nerves as when they first started riding?

The course was great, It's a whole different experience between when I was first on the bike compared to now, just a day after graduating.
The insurance started today, so I was able to get the plate for the bike on now and took it for an actual 20km trip around my area.

I took it on a 80kmph highway and noticed one thing...The wind is very powerful in terms of blowing you around. I don't know if it's just cause my leather jacket was full of air, so it was blowing me around more than what a tight riding jacket would, or if that's normal?

Too-large a jacket can act as a sail, yes. Maker sure your gear is properly sized and fits well.

You can mitigate some of the effect by "tucking in" a bit; pull your arms in some, crouch down and lean a bit forward. You'll also learn to get used to wind blast, just as someday you'll get used to the wind at 120kph, the turbulence behind semi-trailers, the bow-wave from a truck as you pass him at speed, cross-winds coming across a farmers field as you emerge from the relative protection of a stand of trees etc.

Also, is it normal to be nervous when riding? Obviously I'm going to be nervous as a new rider, getting used to things, but do experienced riders still feel the same nerves as when they first started riding?

I'm always conscious of the dangers and risks I'm undertaking as the bike idles and I do up the strap on my helmet before heading out. Like a boxer slapping himself across the face as he's about to enter the ring; I think some nervous energy can be productive in helping to keep your head in the game.

Not quite a same as fear though; you shouldn't be fearful of the ride. If so, back out of that busy road and hit some slower sidestreets again to build your confidence. If you're not quite ready for 80kph secondary roads or heavier traffic without feeling a sense of claustrophobia or genuine fear, there's no shame in admitting that. It's a marathon, not a sprint: Advance at a pace that makes you comfortable and avoid feeling like you need to meet "aggressive" milestones in your first days in the saddle.

Bikes move around a bit in the wind. You will become more comfortable with this in time. You have lots of lane to work with so no worries. Tensing up and trying to force the bike to remain exactly on it's line will be much more stressful than just letting it drift a bit.

Yeah I kind of let the wind take me a little, but still stayed in 1/2 of my full lane. I'll probably end up getting a jacket this weekend.

Make sure that your arms are bent at the elbow to loosen the death grip. Adjust the lever angles if you need to.
6276c4050aefd6cd88e500ef25213b6a.gif

keep at it then one day you'll be out riding
and realize you are enjoying the scenery and freedom
and operating the bike's controls are on auto pilot
it's nice when that happens and you can get smooth in everything you do

Waiting for training course to be completed and technically M2 for insurance purposes I'm guessing.

And yeah, leave it parked until you're done the course. A no insurance ticket is $$$$$$, and dumping your brand new bike is :( :( :( :(
It's only active once you've waited the 60 days and have taken the certificate (I think its mailed directly now) in to the ministry. NOT the minute you've completed your course.

It's only active once you've waited the 60 days and have taken the certificate (I think its mailed directly now) in to the ministry. NOT the minute you've completed your course.

I understand that, but many insurance companies only care about course completion, knowing the 60 day wait after ones M1 date before being eligible for the M2 (on paper) is basically irrelevant at that point, so rating at M2 at that point isn't uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom