Quitting Your Job | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quitting Your Job

well, this is a dark and depressing thread...

where are those happy pills??

It depends on your point of view. It has become a thread about quitting the job you hate or separating from someone you no longer want to be with and being happier on the other side. Sure, it would be great if Plan A worked, but now people are moving onto Plan B and finding it better.

1, I had beers last nite with a friend that makes $60k before taxes, his wife makes 20. They have a town house , 3 kids and do "OK" . everyones version of OK is different. But he seems a happy guy, its not all about the money.

2, its amazing how much money can be found in possibly not needed stuff. You can tighten the belt without cutting off all blood flow.

3. Getting married??? I've had the same wife for 35 yrs. She makes her own money, like some of what I like , and the good days out number the bad days and thats a win.
And you have to work at it ALL THE TIME. its a job, but a worthwhile job. We have had all the classic arguments, money (not enough, what to do with the excess), un common interests , common interests, her totally F'ed up family, fighting about kids. But there was and remains a common goal. Never take each other for granted.

A lot of wise men here, sharing their life experiences. Really appreciate that.

This is what I like about forums. Btw, why do lawyers manipulate people to do heinous things?

I've been very fortunate with the way lawyers have treated me. Keep in mind that behind every mean nasty, lawyer there is a mean, nasty client.

Marriage has worked for me but that might not have been so if I stayed with the original company. I don't roll well with corporate punches and there is a tendency to bring home the problems.

Long story short, my current job is seriously starting to affect my mental health....

I went through the same thing, my advise is try to get severance instead of just walking away. I was in the same shoes, I walked away took a lesser paying job but better work in my opinion. But looking back I should've hung in there and do the minimum until I got laid off or replace and given severance package. If you feel your boss unjustly treated you record it and lawyer up. If he makes you do a different job discuss it with your lawyer. He's gonna be real smart not to give you severance instead try to make you quit. I understand you just want to walk away from his bs but you'll feel much much better with severance after all the crap you went through. This way when you look back you'll feel you came out on top.

yup....15 years ago, wife and I both working at full time jobs and doing well...
I feel you man, I went through similar drama. Different story but same crap. Life just got real.

I went through the same thing, my advise is try to get severance instead of just walking away. I was in the same shoes, I walked away took a lesser paying job but better work in my opinion. But looking back I should've hung in there and do the minimum until I got laid off or replace and given severance package. If you feel your boss unjustly treated you record it and lawyer up. If he makes you do a different job discuss it with your lawyer. He's gonna be real smart not to give you severance instead try to make you quit. I understand you just want to walk away from his bs but you'll feel much much better with severance after all the crap you went through. This way when you look back you'll feel you came out on top.

I feel you man, I went through similar drama. Different story but same crap. Life just got real.

The OP is wisely not posting fine details on this public forum but a lot depends on the type of firm. Family run businesses tend to have a DNA ceiling and if they're small no HR department. Even large companies can end up with empire builders trying to drive out existing staff to bring in friends or relatives that would be loyal to their job provider.

The OP mentions a possible move in a few years and building up a slush fund by bearing with the anal company. It's a question only he can answer but would having a working plan in place relieve some of the stress?

Seeing the numbers rise in his "departure account", being able to say in X months we'll have enough to kiss this goodbye might help.

KEEP A JOURNAL. I know someone who did well in a similar situation because their diary listed all of the events, when, who was there, who did what. It also listed non related items, pick up dog food, pay insurance, etc showing that they were an organised factual person.

amen, brother

can get too interesting at times
but you have to live with your decisions
and the consequences
things usually do seem to work out
time heals all

and riding is the best therapy

Really? I'm constantly hearing stories of I did the minimum till they had to show me a door and I got a severance. Sure some found money is always nice, but who wants to be that guy? I'm not sure my self esteem would let me do that. I like to feel good about walking out of work at days end, not I stuck it to the man.

Really? I'm constantly hearing stories of I did the minimum till they had to show me a door and I got a severance. Sure some found money is always nice, but who wants to be that guy? I'm not sure my self esteem would let me do that. I like to feel good about walking out of work at days end, not I stuck it to the man.

^^^^That. I too value my time and pride myself on doing good work. Wasting their time is also wasting my time. Every job I have left was good terms and all would be happy to have me back, some even still call me to see. Also you never know who know who.

I couldn't do it. Mentally that would be much worse for me than a job I hate. Not to mention professionally, all of the clients you let down will remember if you continue in the same field at another company. Career suicide for a few months pay is nuts. The other problem is if you are aiming for the bare minimum and miss, you may get fired for cause and not get severance (or EI).

So... How much severance do you think his, and his wife's, happiness is worth?

Last edited:
Long story short, my current job is seriously starting to affect my mental health. Between the commute of 4hrs each day, and the mental abuse from my boss, it's become too much to handle. Currently have an offer on the table local to home, but at significantly reduced pay and a very different industry. Thankfully my wife has also just switched jobs and got an increase in her pay so while things would be really tight (bikes either sold or left in the garage), it would be doable.

I'm tempted to stay and just bank as much as possible since we are thinking about leaving Ontario in the next couple years, but it's getting harder and harder for both of us to cope with the unhappiness and overall displeasure of life. Has anyone made a similar shift? I know nobody can tell me what to do but I'm just looking for any input and open to others' life experience.
Many unknowingly pursue the dollar while forgetting their initial purpose of chasing the dollar to begin with.

For many, money is used to increase the quality and experience of one's living. You have catered to the outside (material gains) while sacrificing the inside (mental health/happiness).

Most do not realize that if you take care of the inside, a clear mind can increase your level of productivity, raise energy levels, boost confidence and potentially stimulate income growth by harnessing creative intelligence.

A temporary downgrade to make repairs and adjustments to oneself is within reason. Many average people can "settle" but if you're mornings are getting darker despite your efforts to endure, a change may be warranted. The pain is a sign that you may be heading in the wrong direction.

If there is one thing more valuable than money in this world, it is "time".
Don't waste it. You are not guaranteed the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom