Commuter for construction job with 10lbs of tools? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuter for construction job with 10lbs of tools?

Alderson

Hey everyone,
I work a construction trade as an apprentice (for another couple years), so I generally have to drive my own vehicle to the job site. One of the main reasons I bought a bike was to hopefully use it as a commuter since I currently drive a lifted and regeared pig of a truck that gets 9-10mpg.

Right now, I have a small bag that holds roughly 10lbs of tools (channel locks, tape measure, harness, ect) just small stuff, no hammers or anything.

What would be my best bet in transporting these tools on a bike? Is there an accessory bag I can buy for the bike, or should I just put everything into a backpack?

It's a CBR500R in case anyone knows of an accessory bag

thanks again

Maybe something like this:
givi_sr1119_topcase_rack_honda_cb500_fcbr500_r20132014_detail.jpg

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr1119-top-case-rack-honda-cb500f-cbr500r-2013-2015

But watch you don't wheelie, when you take off too fast.

Those boxes are a bit ugly I find. Had one on my maxim and I didn't like it. Now I backpack my stuff to work. $20-30 CCM backpack that I got from Walmart does the trick with side pouches for water bottles. I use an aluminum thermal bottle from Tims so that I can grab coffee on the way to work too. Try putting a large double double in that helmet box lol

Strapping 10 lbs of tools to my back is the last thing I'd do, may not be nice if you crash. Even a cheap set of soft bags or a tail bag will do fine.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Those boxes are a bit ugly I find. Had one on my maxim and I didn't like it. Now I backpack my stuff to work. $20-30 CCM backpack that I got from Walmart does the trick with side pouches for water bottles. I use an aluminum thermal bottle from Tims so that I can grab coffee on the way to work too. Try putting a large double double in that helmet box lol

You can, done it many times when i forgot my cup holder, you need a tray and an extra cup to balance it up.

These velcro nicely over the front turn signals for coffee:

5038399-AST04-fallback.jpg

Tools should be in some form of hard bag, especially if it can be carried.

I ride a CB500F for 3 years as a daily commuter for 2 of those years to a construction site. I picked up a hard luggage set years ago and just kept that while I switch bags. Got the hard luggage rack from Givi from a dealer here in Ontario and couldn't be happier. Don't do as much anymore but great setup.

Top bag for tools, helmet when I'm off the bike. Can fit some construction boots as well if they're not too big.

Side bags for rain gear, lunch, etc.

Great set up and worked for me for years.

Strapping 10 lbs of tools to my back is the last thing I'd do, may not be nice if you crash. Even a cheap set of soft bags or a tail bag will do fine.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm with iceman. Tools might really damage you in a crash. Get a container attached to the bike somehow (even if that container is aforementioned backpack strapped to the pillion seat).

There is no better accessory for commuting than a topcase, likewise there is no uglier accessory

Use one for one day and you'll forget just how hideously ugly it is. The convenience is just that good.

There is no better accessory for commuting than a topcase, likewise there is no uglier accessory

Use one for one day and you'll forget just how hideously ugly it is. The convenience is just that good.

They can also cause handling to go for a crap at very non-legal speeds (although most boxes are marked with a top speed in the ballpark of legal speeds). Still like them though.

For long rides out of the city I carry an extended tool kit with a litre of 2stroke oil in a rugged tool backpack made by Dewalt.
I found it on sale at Home Depot a couple of years back. Canadian Tire also has something similar, but made by Milwakee.

Lots of tool backpacks available. Veto makes one of the better ones.

Here's the one I have :

dd91cb2b-53f6-41f1-b184-379173ac81a8.jpg._CB278750242__SR300,300_.jpg

41Z3wYkEHIL.jpg

You will hate yourself after 5 km with 10 pounds in a backpack on your back. Even more so in the Sun. Get yourself that hard case that has been posted and be done with it. People might think you're like a look stupid while you have it on, but you'll be laughing at them as they're sitting in the car and traffic and your whizzing by.

Not carrying quite the same amount of weight, but I use a top case. Also comes in handy to store my helmet and gloves while at work.
When I don't need it, I just take it off as it has a quick release system.
But then I'm past the age where I worry about what other people think I look like :D

Had a full 40L dry bag to tour to quebec city...

40L drybag, about 40$ and cargo net, anywhere from 10 to 30$

and i was set. so if you have a tool box, cargo net might do the trick otherwise heavy duty bungee cords (the rubber type)

I've bungee netted and strapped stuff on the pillion seat for ages. Usually my backpack, sometimes something as big as a 19" CRT monitor. If you are going to haul weight everyday, get a strong tail bag or the top case. I'd vote for the top case. There's a reason it very common in Europe.

I've bungee netted and strapped stuff on the pillion seat for ages. Usually my backpack, sometimes something as big as a 19" CRT monitor. If you are going to haul weight everyday, get a strong tail bag or the top case. I'd vote for the top case. There's a reason it very common in Europe.

On my old nighthawk I added a passenger backrest as a convenient attachment point for a backpack. It worked really well, I even picked up a leather office chair from costco with that setup (it looked ridiculous and I was pushed forward a bit, but it worked quite well). When you don't have a car, you realize how useful a bike can be.

You will hate yourself after 5 km with 10 pounds in a backpack on your back. Even more so in the Sun. Get yourself that hard case that has been posted and be done with it. People might think you're like a look stupid while you have it on, but you'll be laughing at them as they're sitting in the car and traffic and your whizzing by.

10lbs in a good backpack with properly fitted straps is nothing. I regularly have 20-25lbs in mine for work and am fine. All around the city though.

When I got on trips, I have probably about 10lbs in my backpack and ride for 8-9 hours actual ride time through out the day.

Back
Top Bottom