Toronto to Prince Edward County | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Prince Edward County

Paulee

Its going to be my first time visiting Prince Edward County.

Any suggestions of places to visit while im there?

Great places to stop and eat, any good spots for pictures or sightseeing etc

Thanks!

Prince Edward county is justly proud of their apples.
There are a large number of apple cider places. Careful though some have a very high alcohol content.
There are an increasing number of local wineries as well.

Waring house is overrated and overpriced. Eat elsewhere. The restaurant beside Lake on the Mountain (in Picton) is not bad.

Sandbanks PP is nice if beaches are your thing (and the weather cooperates).

Tons of wineries, it's hard to fit them all in safely in one trip. We all have favorites and ones we think are horrendous, but that is personal preference so you are better to discover which is which on your own.

lake on the mountain is cool
tourism is dominated by wineries which doesn't make it all that bike friendly
unless you're staying over

Picton is the largest pop centre and a nice place to park and walk a bit
some decent restaurants there

weekends during summer the island is very busy
should be nice this time of year

as for getting there, hwy 2 from Port Hope to the island is a nice ride
off the 401, and you get to skip the mess of Trenton and Belleville

keep in mind the local OPP detachment is used as a training centre for rookie officers
they police the whole island, not just the provincial roads
good place to keep the speed down, would advise no wine tasting and riding
island is crawling with them

any other questions let me know, I lived on the county for 10 years

Last edited:
Definitely think Im going to check out lake on the Mountain.

Wineries arent really my thing, would much rather park the bike and take a stroll through some nice nature.
Or better yet ride down some rodes with nice scenery.

I will be departing from Toronto but riding North east so I can hit some of the great roads like county road 56/Northeys bay and then coming back south to Prince Edward County.

Also on my way back to Toronto I think Il take highway 2 and cruise instead of the 401, I love going through the smaller towns

Last edited:
south of Picton, down through Cherry Valley, the island is much quieter
and some conservation areas to check out, one of them is an area where
they used to launch Avro Arrow models on test flights into the lake
legend has it there are a bunch at the bottom of the lake

some twisty roads but nothing technical, and the island is basically flat as a pancake

, one of them is an area where
they used to launch Avro Arrow models on test flights into the lake
legend has it there are a bunch at the bottom of the lake

They found one of the flight models and a few of the Nike boosters in August. The search is continuing, they hope to pull up at least a few. A friend is on the search team. Cool stuff.

Lots of farms and orchards, and a good view of the water. I like Sandbanks park and Lake on the Mountain

The old airbase on the hill outside Picton town is worth visiting. I think it was used as an internment centre at one point. You can walk up and down the outside fence. The wine is pretty nasty there to be honest and it's overpriced. There's a few breweries scattered around that are worth looking at and a distillery now. There's a mushroom farm outside Wellington where you can buy fresh mushrooms cheap (fancy ones too). There's a lighthouse and military installation at one end of the island but again, you can't get close to the lighthouse.

You can ride straight into the air base in Picton, it's open and some of the buildings have been refurbished and repurposed for small businesses. Others are in various states of decay or near destruction, but interesting to see.

You are supposed to stop at the gatehouse/office and check in, but if it's not open or there's nobody there just quietly and politely do your own thing.

Do NOT go past the hangars however - it is still an active airport for generation aviation.

Back
Top Bottom