Some noob questions regarding Enduro Gear.. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Some noob questions regarding Enduro Gear..

Be prepared to spend a long time trying on boots. I was thinking about getting a set after messing up my ankle and it took a lot of tries before I found a boot that fit my feet and calfs comfortably. Each manufacturer is designed for a specific shaped leg, I apparently have Gaerne shaped legs.

yeah, I have a feeling mine will be shaped to fit the $$$$$$$$ boots ;-p

yeah, I have a feeling mine will be shaped to fit the $$$$$$$$ boots ;-p

The ones I was considering were $450+ 10 years ago. They really did fit nicely, but I was able to go with BMW boots to look less like Robocop (although they were a bunch more money).

Comp 5 are also nice boots.

Comp 5 are also nice boots.

yes, and they come in two models as well.. There is a std Comp 5 which is the newer MX style of boot design, and there is a Comp 5 Offroad style that you have. That one is on my list to try out.

I have the comp 5 enduro style with more of a lug sole, good protection and fairly comfy once broken in a bit.
I also prefer full wrap around guards, they protect your levers, hands and I think they help strengthen the bars as well.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Fortnine has Fox Comp 5($178.99) and Alpinestars Tech 7($291.99) boots for sale if you are not picky on color.

https://fortnine.ca/en/fox-racing-comp-5-boots

https://fortnine.ca/en/alpinestars-tech-7-boots

I have the Comp 5 and they are very good and comfortable. When I need to replace them I would buy the same pair again.

But I made the mistake of buying a cheap helmet, got a concussion, and then replaced it with one with anti-concussion MIPS technology which I highly recommend.

I should have said some those are the open ended plastic ones on that bike that should break if you go over them. Not the ones with the metal bar that wraps around. It was Chris Birch who recommended against the wrap around type ones and said he prefers not running any.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Chris Birch is a fantastic rider. For the rest of us, hand guards are a really cheap way of protecting your hands and controls. When I get to his level, I'll think about taking them off. For newer riders, I highly recommend them.

But I made the mistake of buying a cheap helmet, got a concussion, and then replaced it with one with anti-concussion MIPS technology which I highly recommend.
I thought a concussion was the brain moving inside and crashing against the skull due to an impact, interesting to know how a helmet is going to stop that.

Going to luck it up

My Comp 5s which are enduro do make it tough to go up a gear so maybe Derrick is right on having a smooth sole. Never thought about it.

My Comp 5s which are enduro do make it tough to go up a gear so maybe Derrick is right on having a smooth sole. Never thought about it.

I had to rotate my shift lever a notch, to compensate for the slightly thicker sole.

I thought a concussion was the brain moving inside and crashing against the skull due to an impact, interesting to know how a helmet is going to stop that.

Going to luck it up

"CPSC helmets really do work. ... MIPS is a form of slip plane technology, meaning that a MIPS helmet is constructed from two layers that rotate against each other, mimicking the rotation of the brain's own cerebrospinal fluid, which is the body's natural defense against oblique impacts."

More detailed info here:

http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

Fortnine has Fox Comp 5($178.99) and Alpinestars Tech 7($291.99) boots for sale if you are not picky on color.

https://fortnine.ca/en/fox-racing-comp-5-boots

https://fortnine.ca/en/alpinestars-tech-7-boots

I have the Comp 5 and they are very good and comfortable. When I need to replace them I would buy the same pair again.

Unfortunately the ($291.99) price for Tech 7 is not quite true. All of them are regular price except for about 2 or 3 in small sizes :-( I would have been all over that for sure otherwise.

Those comp 5 ones you linked are the MX version of the Comp 5, but they dont seem to be totally "flat soled" . I know a friend who has the same boot.. I'll be trying to go to the stores and check them out soon. I'll have to remember some socks - I'm sure that opens up a discussion on thin vs thick socks etc ;-p

btw - I'll thinking of going the Chest Protector way, rather than the armoured jacket style.

Last edited:
I was going to get the Fox Comp 5's but didn't like the buckles and two pairs of them in Royal that I tried on already had broken buckles.

My gf has the A* Tech 5 boots (Stella version) and likes them. Not sure if they still make a Tech 5 mens but they're a worthwhile upgrade over a Comp 5.

Get the best ones you can afford imo. And check Kijiji. Often can find never-worn boots for cheap due to injury or sold bike.

After 14 years my Tech 8's are due for replacement. They've seen little use in the last few years but I've never broken a strap or buckle on them. I can ride all day and feel like I was wearing running shoes. Costly but damn I love those boots.

I started with Fox Comp 5 and they lasted 3 or 4 rides in Ganny, before the ankle plastic armor started cracking ... Returned them, added cash and bought Tech 7. Much better build, as comfortable ... I've been out about 15 times in them and so far only scuffs from usage. Other than that, they have been awesome.

I was going to get the Fox Comp 5's but didn't like the buckles and two pairs of them in Royal that I tried on already had broken buckles.

My gf has the A* Tech 5 boots (Stella version) and likes them. Not sure if they still make a Tech 5 mens but they're a worthwhile upgrade over a Comp 5.

Get the best ones you can afford imo. And check Kijiji. Often can find never-worn boots for cheap due to injury or sold bike.

funny.. I tried some Comp 5's today (off road version) and had a lot of trouble with the buckles. When I finally got them on, I wore them for a while and found that the ankle buckle really could be felt on my ankle. I have pressure points near my ankles, and it took a long time to find SnowBoard boots that were my fit (Yay Burton!) I tried a few boots on, more Fox styles, regular Comp 5 and others and I find I fit in between their boot sizes. 10 is too tight and 11 too loose. .. but the Tech 7s were bang on for size.. I've put that on my list.. I didnt try the Tech 5s Not sure if stores carry it as its in between a Tech 3 and 7 ...

Looking at some protection.. most likely going to go with a chest protector like the FOX Raptor (I like the rib protection they offer) . Saw the Leatt knee pads (not braces) , They looked amazing.

Thanks for everyone's input. Watching a lot of YouTube, talking to other riders etc , getting some great information. :)

My daughter has a pair of the Tech7 boots that she bought last year.They look like they are 10 yrs old already.Junk.You get what you pay for.

I think the old school style boots hold up better. The sole protrudes 1/4" or so past the toe and that takes a lot of the beating.

Back
Top Bottom