Ran into a cage when another guy waved him out of a parking lot and right into my pat | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ran into a cage when another guy waved him out of a parking lot and right into my pat

Sorry to see that :( weren't going very fast before impact then if that's all that needs replacing?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Long as you and the bike are both ok, and not banged up too bad,(bike is still rideable) your ok, dust yourself off, rest, recover, repair and get back at it again.

Hopefully you learned something, are a little better this time, a little wiser

A very dangerous situation on either bike or car. If you see a long line and you are beside a mall or parking lot, then best go slow. People trust the other driver (social etiquette) and don't look.

I'm glad it only ended in some scrapes.

I'm ok,thanks. Bike will need a windshield, footpeg, and muffler but is rideable enough to got the 2 blocks home. Thanks for the well wishes

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

This is why I never stop to let people out on 2 lane roads, you never know what the other person will do and have seen a few accidents like the very one the op described.

That's why I never turn left when the guy in the oncoming inside lane stops and waves me thru. You know there will be a guy going thru on the outside lane who will have the right of way and take you out.

This is why I never stop to let people out on 2 lane roads, you never know what the other person will do and have seen a few accidents like the very one the op described.
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to stop in a live lane to let somebody out of a parking lot.

And here it is
Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

And in the case of any confusion, per HTA, Highway is defined thusly
“highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“voie publique”)

Last edited:
Reading that section, I don't think it applies to this situation (but there is insufficient information about the situation anyway). Sounds like the driver who waved was neither standing nor parked, but rather stopped for traffic. Traffic ahead cleared and he waved the other driver through.

When I'm trying to turn where I'll cross multiple lanes, I wait for the nearest lane to me to stop, then I proceed to fully occupy that lane and stop, making sure to only proceed if the second lane also stops for me.

Don't stop to change lanes either, that is definitely standing, it's also one of the more common causes of highway traffic jams.

Reading that section, I don't think it applies to this situation (but there is insufficient information about the situation anyway). Sounds like the driver who waved was neither standing nor parked, but rather stopped for traffic. Traffic ahead cleared and he waved the other driver through.

When I'm trying to turn where I'll cross multiple lanes, I wait for the nearest lane to me to stop, then I proceed to fully occupy that lane and stop, making sure to only proceed if the second lane also stops for me.

The driver who waved him
Out was stopped for traffic ahead in the right turn lane

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That situation certainly fits the definition of Stop or Stopping
“park” or “parking”, when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers; (“stationnement”)

“stand” or “standing”, when prohibited, means the halting of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers; (“immobilisation”)

“stop” or “stopping”, when prohibited, means the halting of a vehicle, even momentarily, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or of a traffic control sign or signal; (“arrêt”)

The only one of those three that it doesn't fit, is parking.

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad your ok though. I had a couple near misses this year with cages not paying attention. Cutting me off, turning left while I'm going through an intersection ( and I'm riding a boss hoss right now, try swerving with that ).
I avoid the city like the plague now, all near misses were there.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My sister wrote off her SUV last fall in the exact same situation - someone stopped for a red light waved a car across traffic into a parking lot, not realizing that my sister was coming up in the right turning lane - the guy came across right in front of her and the rest is history.

Personally whenever I'm in a situation where there could be cross traffic I'm on high alert, and I also keep my speed differential between lanes (stopped traffic in one lane between moving traffic in another) reasonable.

Glad you're OK, hope the bike is an easy fix.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to stop in a live lane to let somebody out of a parking lot.

And here it is

We don't know how the law is interpreted. I've seen enough "Do not block intersection" and "Do not block driveway" signs to make me believe the law you cited is not so black and white when it comes to city streets.

If the road is clear in front of you, then you proceed through the intersection. If the road is blocked in front of you, then you stop without blocking the intersection.

Ain't rocket science amazing?

WHY WHY WHY do people do this and think they're doing people a favour?

My brother was hit the same way. Two lanes of traffic left a gap to let someone out while they were lined up red light t. The driver pulled out as my brother was rolling forward in the turning lane and the car drove right in to my brother.

That is NOT the intention of that Section of the HTA. It is intended for fools who double park etc. I don't know of ANY officer who would lay that charge against one who was stopped for traffic ahead and permitted a driver to exit a parking lot, etc. I certainly never would have tagged anyone for doing so. the ONLY appropriate charge was the one laid against the driver exiting the parking lot.

And here it is

Back
Top Bottom