Novice Group Track days | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Novice Group Track days

I want them to adjust my sag as well as tire psi and chain slack. Cup of fresh ground coffee might be nice as well. $171/hr of track time(if you get in 7 15min runs) My second last track day was $300/hr of track time(only got out 4 times due to flags).

Darn track day organizer scoring your money like that with their scheming plan.

Its a conspiracy man

Kx3VQ4a.gif

What do people expect track day organizers to check?

Are they responsible to approve
- condition of your tire?
- chain slack?
- thickness of brake meat left?

At what point is it the riders responsibility? If I don't put water wetter in the bike and crash making a mess of the track. Rider or organizer fault?

Well, the ones that I left are what I think should be covered for sure.
I've been to track days where tech was super lax...
Tire Condition: guy shows up with cords showing on his street bike. If Smergy and I hadn't stepped in he would have went out.
Chain Slack: Maybe comment if too tight or too loose. That's it.
Brake Thickness: Just a quick glance possible. If the pads are extremely low tell them or disallow on track. Been in line and the guy in front of me had no meat, just backer on one of his front pads. Tech caught it and guy wasn't allowed on track.
Coolant: Ask the rider what's in the rad. I believe there should be a "out" clause in the waiver - where if you lie to techs about what's in your rad, blow a hose and end up with glycol all over the track, they are fully responsible for gross negligence in case of injury or damage.

Other things I think are key are throttle tube return, no obvious leaking fluids, tight bolts on pegs etc. Pretty much everything a red group rider will go over on their own before any track day, but stuff a yellow or green will easily overlook or not be concerned about.

The overall bike condition is completely the rider's responsibility IMHO. Many people are their parents' special little snowflakes and have no concept of personal responsibility any more, and tech inspection is there to limit their effect as much as possible. Is tech going to catch everything? No. Did they catch anything on one of my bikes? Yes, in my first year of track riding.

At what point is it the riders responsibility? If I don't put water wetter in the bike and crash making a mess of the track. Rider or organizer fault?

And that was my point, not to say the organizer doesn't have responsibility, of course they do have responsibility to minimize risk, however at what point do ALL people that get on track need to be babysit so their life and the life of others are not at risk?

I took the marshaling course, I used to Marshall at TMP back in the day and I will be honest, if I saw a faster guy on green or yellow and they were riding well, they could hold their lines and basically did all the things we as riders know someone in control does and I saw him/her do one or a couple "forbidden" passes I would give them a break.

If I saw a real bad pass where the other rider got spooked I would call it in regardless of who that was.

It was never the case but if I was marshaling while race practice was going on and I knew there were mixed riders, I would give a lot more freedom, after all I would assume the guys that signed up for green a track/race practice day are not brand new riders, just makes sense to me.

Yes rules are rules but I am sure not all of us drive 100km/hr or less on the 401 at all times, common sense is used.

IN the other hand, I only do track days with Pro6 - They do very good tech inspections and they keep the day going properly. I don't go to sketchy track days so I don't have to blame the organizers after something bad happens, I prefer for it not to happen to me at all regardless of who is at fault. Actually riders choice did a very good job at shannonville the one time i attended their day.

Last edited:
at what point do ALL people that get on track need to be babysit so their life and the life of others are not at risk?

The moment they are sent out by the marshal

The moment they are sent out by the marshal
Really, I guess we just have different opinion so we will leave it at that.

I see your point, I disagree but I see your point

At what point does putting a leg over a bike make a rider capable of handling it, let alone keep others safe? Outside angles(marshals) help fill that gap to keep the heard of whisky throttle toddlers safe. That is my point. I get your as well. Everyone need to be responsible for their own actions, but common sense is not so common...

I'm not defending the guy but to play Devils advocate for a second.

What do people expect track day organizers to check?

Are they responsible to approve
- your tire choice?
- condition of your tire?
- chain slack?
- tire pressure?
- thickness of brake meat left?
- opening rad to confirm no glycol?

So what lkind of list would you want them to check?

Since I'm going to GBM tomorrow, I'll post the list that appears on their website. My first track day was at Shannonville, and I suspect they have a similar list on theirs.

So in answer to your question, the list I want them to check is their own list.

Here are the main issues we will address.

• Is your kickstand secured? Your spring return isn’t enough on a racetrack. Use a plastic strap tie or duct tape to secure your kickstand in the up and locked position before you come to tech.
  • Tape over your speedometer. It’s the rule.
  • Make sure your throttle returns quickly and positively. We want to see it snap back when you release the grip.
  • Change your antifreeze for straight water. If your bike puts antifreeze on the surface, it shuts the entire track down and may result in suspension. Antifreeze is 100 times worse than water on asphalt (It’s like wet ice). Swap it out for water before you proceed to tech.
  • Tape over or remove lights, signal and mirrors. They all shatter and they all puncture tires.
Here’s the rest of the points to cover before you reach tech inspection:

• Brakes: Make sure they’re properly functioning, front and back, with no leaks, because we’ll check.
  • Chain: Check your drivechain adjustment. Too tight or too loose means breakage. Refer to manufacturer’s specification. Also, check your master link. A rivet style link is preferred, but a standard ‘slip on’ while suffice if you put a dab of silicone on the key to secure it.
  • Now that you’ve ensured your brake lines don’t leak, check the rest of the bike. Your engine and suspension components must also be leak free.
  • Overall track worthiness: These are the small things that can lead to disaster. Loose lines can snag. If it can flop around, it can be snagged and lead to a crash.
  • Body: All body parts must be secured or removed.
  • Mechanical: Check your fasteners and ensure they’re secured at recommended torque.
  • Tires: Properly inflated, with structural integrity intact (sidewall, tread, steel-belts, bulges).
As always, the tech inspector has the final decision on whether a machine or rider/driver is race ready.
Please respect their decisions and suggestions. Their only goal is to ensure that you and your fellow riders can run as safely as possible.

the organizers don't owe you *****!! as someone mentioned you should read the waiver that you sign in the morning, don't like it? don't go to the track

some times I wonder how people walk out of their house and not get killed on their way to work because its TTCs responsibility to make sure you don't walk out in front of a moving train.

$171/hr of track time(if you get in 7 15min runs) My second last track day was $300/hr of track time(only got out 4 times due to flags).

Welcome to the wonderful world of track days, you think that's expensive? wait till you start crashing

If its my fault fine. But getting taken out by a yahoo running ozzy rules is a different story.

get over it dude, someone made a bad pass on you, luckily no one got hurt, life goes on, you cant control the actions of others only your own, don't want to take that risk? don't go to the track
you can get taken out by a soccer mom on the 401, or a drunk driver, no one is safe from that ****, just because the track is a SAFER environment, doesn't mean its a safe place

get over it dude, someone made a bad pass on you, luckily no one got hurt, life goes on, you cant control the actions of others only your own, don't want to take that risk? don't go to the track
you can get taken out by a soccer mom on the 401, or a drunk driver, no one is safe from that ****, just because the track is a SAFER environment, doesn't mean its a safe place

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling you believe it should be "anything goes, regardless" at the track. Not a personal attack, just stating the impression I'm getting.
Sure, the track isn't a safe place as you put it, but if tech inspection and enforcing riding rules makes it even a little more safe, I'm all for it.
Make riders responsible for the their assorted jack@ssery. Warn them once, second time they go home.

As noted earlier, so many people have lost the sense of personal responsibility, and respect for others. Enforce the rules. If riders don't like the rules, either don't come out or obey them (even if you don't like them) anyways... if any particular rider is so concerned that they can't ride the way they want, there's nothing holding them back from renting a track themselves and running it however they want.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I get the feeling you believe it should be "anything goes, regardless" at the track.
Sure, the track isn't a safe place as you put it, but if tech inspection and enforcing riding rules makes it even a little more safe, I'm all for it.
Make riders responsible for the their assorted jack@ssery. Warn them once, second time they go home.

As noted earlier, so many people have lost the sense of personal responsibility, and respect for others. Enforce the rules. If riders don't like the rules, either don't come out or obey them (even if you don't like them) anyways... if any particular rider is so concerned that they can't ride the way they want, there's nothing holding them back from renting a track themselves and running it however they want.

Just my $0.02 worth.

you are 100% wrong if that's what you got from my posts, I'm all for tech inspections and rules, what i'm against is people relying on those to solve all their life's problems, and thinking that just because there are rules, and someone gave my bike a once over in the morning that now my safety is their responsibility.
If you are only going to rely on the organizer to make sure your bike meets tech guidelines there is something wrong with your approach, thinking that its the organizers job to keep you safe is like thinking its the TTCs job to make sure you don't get hit by a train.
Just because the light is green doesn't mean you shouldn't look both ways before crossing the street

Nice bike collection!

you are 100% wrong if that's what you got from my posts, I'm all for tech inspections and rules, what i'm against is people relying on those to solve all their life's problems, and thinking that just because there are rules, and someone gave my bike a once over in the morning that now my safety is their responsibility.
If you are only going to rely on the organizer to make sure your bike meets tech guidelines there is something wrong with your approach, thinking that its the organizers job to keep you safe is like thinking its the TTCs job to make sure you don't get hit by a train.
Just because the light is green doesn't mean you shouldn't look both ways before crossing the street

Looks like yours and my view on tech inspections differ slightly. I know my bike meets tech requirements for any track and that's not why I want a proper inspection done. I want those inspections to make sure the guy beside me has tires with a least a little meat on them so he doesn't take me out mid-corner. Or that the guy half a track in front of me didn't leak brake fluid through turn 4.
You seem like a great guy though. If you're at GB tomorrow, make sure you come by and say hi.

Ah. Excellent analogies and response. I have to agree with you 100% on your statements. Tech is there as an additional safety layer, but not a be-all and end-all.

Looks like yours and my view on tech inspections differ slightly. I know my bike meets tech requirements for any track and that's not why I want a proper inspection done. I want those inspections to make sure the guy beside me has tires with a least a little meat on them so he doesn't take me out mid-corner. Or that the guy half a track in front of me didn't leak brake fluid through turn 4.
You seem like a great guy though. If you're at GB tomorrow, make sure you come by and say hi.

see my post #32, our opinion is not different, just because the guy at tech told you your bike is ok at the moment he checked it, doesn't mean its good for the rest of the day, things vibrate off, tires wear out, also how can you tell how much meat is left on my slicks? and what condition they are in? maybe they've been heat cycled too many times and have no grip, even tho there are still dimples showing, how will the tech guy figure this out? just because your rad hose isn't leaking during inspection, doesn't mean it wont start leaking after you run it hard on the first session. so whats my point?? you cant rely on tech inspection only to keep you safe!
Thanks for noticing im a great guy :), most guys are when you meet them in person, they just sound like a$Zholes when they type for some reason, not at GB tomorrow unfortunately, but im sure i'll run into you sooner or later.

I was not even referring to that pass. That one just happen to be on video and was used as an example. There was **** like that going on every session and nothing was done about it. That is not leaning on the rules in hopes I would be protected from all dangers of the track. Maybe I hold a higher level of standards and expectations. Rules are there to create a standard. Just because I signed a waver does not mean I want others to put me at risk doing something stupid they were told NOT to do. Its really that simple

Back
Top Bottom