Novice Group Track days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Novice Group Track days

I dont know man, maybe I cant hear them, maybe im not listening, I dont pay attention to anything but the track in front of me and my bike, wanna get by? show me a wheel, and i'll let you thru. I have both a 600 and a 1000 for the track and i'm sure at some point a 600cc rider has been frustrated trying to get around me, if they are fast enough to show me a wheel they have caught up and are obviously faster than me, so I back off and let them thru regardless if they are on a cbr 125 or an H2R, otherwise I cant be bothered with whats going on behind me

Last edited:
I recently participated in my first track day. The one thing that rattled me a little was when a couple of riders, who had been riding in the yellow or red groups, decided to go out in the green group right before the lunch break and were passing people whenever they felt like passing. Problem with that is, in the green group there were clearly defined passing areas so I wasn't expecting to be passed mid-corner by someone going way faster than everyone else.
If you want to switch groups, fine. But follow the rules in the group you are in. Especially when going down to green.

... if they are fast enough to show me a wheel they have caught up and are obviously faster than me, so I back off and let them thru regardless if they are on a cbr 125 or an H2R, otherwise I cant be bothered with whats going on behind me

I've shown people wheels many times in the past and I'm astonished how many people don't get it. I'll show them a wheel twice, and on the third time I'll stuff them a little bit, but in complete safety. If the pass turns even the slightest bit dangerous I'll give up on it.

As for not being bothered what's going on behind you, I've had guys on 600's buzzing behind me, I hear it, and I absolutely will let them past coming on to the straights. I'll follow my line just like normal, and only put on 85% throttle. They get past and proceed at the pace they are capable of, I follow and attempt to learn. Everyone happy.

I recently participated in my first track day. The one thing that rattled me a little was when a couple of riders, who had been riding in the yellow or red groups, decided to go out in the green group right before the lunch break and were passing people whenever they felt like passing. Problem with that is, in the green group there were clearly defined passing areas so I wasn't expecting to be passed mid-corner by someone going way faster than everyone else.
If you want to switch groups, fine. But follow the rules in the group you are in. Especially when going down to green.

Agreed, if you're going to move down to green/novice then you have to accept only passing in the straights.

I know a few non-novice riders that drop down to novice to get more track time but by mid day they're practically riding in every group unless they need to piss or gas up.
I'm not a fan of that behaviour.

It must be a very lax organization or non-observant pit out marshal to allow that...

certain tracks are known for that, i've passed tech at a certain track earlier this year without unloading the bike off the trailer, another time at the same track the groups were on an "honour system", they were not giving out any stickers for different groups.
most tracks let you register into whatever group you want, I think Pro 6 is the only organiser that makes you start from green or makes you produce lap times in order to register for yellow or red on your first day with them.

Funny you say that part about the tech inspection.
For my first day I made sure everything was perfect and even re-did some of my safety wire, just in case. Guy came around and 'checked' the bike while I was still undoing the straps and slapped the green sticker on the windscreen. I'm not exactly sure what he checked, but I passed!

Something to be said about personal responsibility as well

Most likely at the same "certain track" I once had the guy inspecting my bike simply grab the front brake and then say "Heh, it's you guys that have to ride them! hahaha..." and walk away. Not very confidence inspiring. I avoid weekends at such tracks with such organizers. Weekdays typically bring out the more serious track riders who actually care about safety.

Something to be said about personal responsibility as well
Is that different from an organizers responsibility to put on a functional and safe event? Is it not considered personal responsibility because they're a business? Because they're making money? Do you cut them more slack than individuals?

Key word was "as well"
Is that different from an organizers responsibility to put on a functional and safe event? Is it not considered personal responsibility because they're a business? Because they're making money? Do you cut them more slack than individuals?

Key word was "as well"
Organizing a public event IS personal responsibility. They're not two different things unless you believe business operators shouldn't be responsible for their decisions. When you say "as well" as if they're different things you're parroting an argument used by libertarians to deflect responsibility from institutions so they can justify their foolish mindset.

When (not if) riders are irresponsible they should be excluded from the event. That's on the shoulders of the organizer alone, and all discussion so far has been about those failures. It's fantasyland to think riders can make up for the failures of organizers.

Seriously, get a life.
My point went over your head and I got better stuff to do than to argue, i know you get hard whenever you see me posting but try to stop following me around.

Peace

Organizing a public event IS personal responsibility. They're not two different things unless you believe business operators shouldn't be responsible for their decisions. When you say "as well" as if they're different things you're parroting an argument used by libertarians to deflect responsibility from institutions so they can justify their foolish mindset.

When (not if) riders are irresponsible they should be excluded from the event. That's on the shoulders of the organizer alone, and all discussion so far has been about those failures. It's fantasyland to think riders can make up for the failures of organizers.

Seriously, get a life.
My point went over your head and I got better stuff to do than to argue, i know you get hard whenever you see me posting but try to stop following me around.

Peace
I only dispute plainly stupid posts. You can do the math.

Well, most people haven't taken the time to read the waiver you sign before a track day. When I do, each an every track day (just to ensure nothing has changed), the people are astonished to see someone actually reading it and not just signing and walking away.

Take the time, read it. You're signing away every right... even for gross negligence on the track/organizer's behalf. I'm sure that has something to do with the lax enforcement of tech inspection and riding rules at many tracks.

I can say Pro 6 @ Calabogie runs a tight ship. Things still happen but for sure rules are hammered at you so all that pay can get in good track time and not red flag time... I know the treads the OP is reflecting on and I will stay away from rehashing them, but the rules are there to keep all safe and to have fun. Getting stuffed in a green group is not good for anyone. Crashes hold up all groups. So if you have a Red group rider messing up a green group because "they have to skill to make that pass" and mess up a guy first time out then it ruins the day for all. Ride the group/rules that fit your level and remember track days are not a race. Those are people you are passing, not pylons...

Most likely at the same "certain track" I once had the guy inspecting my bike simply grab the front brake and then say "Heh, it's you guys that have to ride them! hahaha..." and walk away. Not very confidence inspiring. I avoid weekends at such tracks with such organizers. Weekdays typically bring out the more serious track riders who actually care about safety.

What are these organizations/tracks that should be avoided until you get experience? Dont really want to be doing first few track days at a place that is loose on the rules.

Funny you say that part about the tech inspection.
For my first day I made sure everything was perfect and even re-did some of my safety wire, just in case. Guy came around and 'checked' the bike while I was still undoing the straps and slapped the green sticker on the windscreen. I'm not exactly sure what he checked, but I passed!

I'm not defending the guy but to play Devils advocate for a second.

What do people expect track day organizers to check?

Are they responsible to approve
- your tire choice?
- condition of your tire?
- chain slack?
- tire pressure?
- thickness of brake meat left?
- opening rad to confirm no glycol?

So what lkind of list would you want them to check?

At what point is it the riders responsibility? If I don't put water wetter in the bike and crash making a mess of the track. Rider or organizer fault?

I'm not defending the guy but to play Devils advocate for a second.

What do people expect track day organizers to check?

Are they responsible to approve
- your tire choice?
- condition of your tire?
- chain slack?
- tire pressure?
- thickness of brake meat left?
- opening rad to confirm no glycol?

So what lkind of list would you want them to check?

At what point is it the riders responsibility? If I don't put water wetter in the bike and crash making a mess of the track. Rider or organizer fault?

I want them to adjust my sag as well as tire psi and chain slack. Cup of fresh ground coffee might be nice as well. $171/hr of track time(if you get in 7 15min runs) My second last track day was $300/hr of track time(only got out 4 times due to flags).

Back
Top Bottom