Massive personal data hack - and you may be affected - Equifax | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Massive personal data hack - and you may be affected - Equifax

I wanna agree. Not sure that Equifax info would include the security code for the cc.
I would think the Equifax issue will be more mortgage size related.

I haven't tried looking into it yet, but the last I read (maybe a link that was here) was that only ppl with US holdings were affected. Any confirmation on that?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Some RBC customers affected. Not sure why they released that entirely unhelpful statement.

Partial account numbers are displayed on the credit report. Along with your dob and even sin number.

It won't have expiry date or card number or security number that is printed on the card itself.

But fraudsters can guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEO is out. Sadly it probably has nothing to do with the lack of security, it's probably due to sagging share price. If the price had remained stable, I doubt he would have had any repercussions.

Buddy had a charge at bestbuy online go through $4,800.00 worth, mine was an attempt to buy at a california retailer, was blocked by BMO. His was reversed within 24hrs by Visa. Mine just got my cards cancelled out.

Both inconvenient but I have to say, BMO was on top of my case and pretty helpful, my new card will be here in 24hrs.

I don't know the systems but I doubt that the hacker that broke in would try to cash in on a multi billion dollar mother-lode a few grand at a time. If it was the EF hack it would be more likely the hacker is somehow selling off working CC numbers. Or it was another hack altogether.

I don't know the systems but I doubt that the hacker that broke in would try to cash in on a multi billion dollar mother-lode a few grand at a time. If it was the EF hack it would be more likely the hacker is somehow selling off working CC numbers. Or it was another hack altogether.

It would seem that the data obtained in this case would be much better used to open new credit in peoples names. Random charges on existing cards are probably related to a retailer or gas station problem.

My paranoia knows no bounds , thanks Joe and Greyghost

customers with US holdings, check that box
RBC customers, check that box
given a charge card reference (BMO) for a Chrysler/jeep auto loan they sold to TD, check that box

I feel bad for the CEO, but they will pay him for two or three yrs to sit at his cottage, and he'll be top executive someplace shortly

I feel bad for the CEO, but they will pay him for two or three yrs to sit at his cottage, and he'll be top executive someplace shortly

Haha, they are holding his bonus and retirement discussions until the investigation is complete. That is probably just code for "until people stop paying attention as we can't afford the press if it gets out that his contract includes 10 years severance".

My paranoia knows no bounds , thanks Joe and Greyghost

Credit card hacks aren't a big problem for me personally. Any time I have been exposed to them, the card company has been good and the charges disappeared quickly. Debit card on the other hand is frightening. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and I doubt the bank would refill a drained account. Especially in light of all the small print about changing your PIN every x days and such. I very rarely use my debit card outside of a machine in a bank.

Sometimes you wonder why stores aren't held partially at fault. My wifes CC was used to make a $2000 purchase at a convenience store (5 minutes after renting a movie on the other side of the country). Who spends $2000 at a convenience store? The employee had to know something was up.

Did you want cash back? , sure I'll take this pack of gum, carton of smokes and $200 cash please....... no bells going off at Kims Convenience.

Did you want cash back? , sure I'll take this pack of gum, carton of smokes and $200 cash please....... no bells going off at Kims Convenience.

True story, but pack of gum, 18 cartons of smokes and 200 cash back? ding a ling a ling.

@GreyGhost, most likely WAS the store employee.
@crankcall I my bank is not nearby. I used to pay those extra atm charges until one day at Longos (what? I'm Italian) the lady in front buys all her stuff on cc, and then a pack of gum and $200 cash back with debit.
I was upset at myself for not figuring this genius manoeuvre out myself.
Con-- no camera at the cash, so harder to dispute it wasn't you as opposed to at an ATM

Btw, a little tip I picked up years ago...I NEVER round out my gas purchases. ie, I fill until it's full and do not top up. *most* times that ppl steal gas/ money from debit/ credit at gas stations it will be an even dollar amout ($50, $100 etc.) not $44.73.
Easier to spot when scrolling through monthly statements. (you DO look through your account activity at least monthly, right?)
And lucky for me, I don't have any money in my bank account so even if they got my debit card they would be SOL!

Also, anyone have a Canadian link for checking if you were affected? Or do we have to call the 1800 #?

I should look into that freeze of account credit thing mentioned before. How often do I need access to a loan right now?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom