Fall Riding Gear - Base Layers, etc | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fall Riding Gear - Base Layers, etc

rust0r

Looking for some advice on some simple/slim base layers to extend my riding season into late Oct and enjoy the fall colors. Wanting to stay more on the slim side as they will need to go under my leathers, with room for a long sleeve over top.

Previously I've used the Knox Cold Killer fitted jacket and pants under my leathers (perforated), along with a long sleeve and it's tolerable. In the years I took off from riding I've umm "out grown" my pants and the shirt is rather tight. Knox as a company doesn't seem to be widely active anymore and I'm sure there is new fabrics and technology.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options and it's hard to tell what companies are selling snake oil versus which actually will keep you warm, stop the wind, etc.

I'm not looking to ride in -10 snow storms, I just want to be able to enjoy some 8-10 degree fall days, without contracting hypothermia lol. I've got room for a slim base layer like this and a thicker long sleeve, so I want to ensure I'm getting some decent use from the base layer.

Looking for recommendations on stuff like this to 1) Stop the wind 2) Keep in body heat:

s-l300.jpg

Thanks in advance!

MEC has Merino wool tops and bottoms, and they used to have silk, so I use a layer of each.
On really cold days I have a thermal vest and my rain gear or a plug in vest.

under armour thermal is good stuff, but expensive
some of the Marks thermals are alright and well priced

Install a windshield that protects your hands as well as heated grips. This will reduce your required layers. Wind sucks heat from your body.

when riding in cold temps I wear the normal layers but also ware a cheap nylon wind breaker under my leather jacket, makes a huge difference in warmth

Your leather jacket & pants should block the wind. If not, a rain suit on top should do the trick. I don't believe in magic layers, but I tend towards a thin synthetic layer against my skin as cotton retains whatever sweat thereby becoming a conductor. A heated vest under my leather jacket and heated grips are my personal approach. The other layers insulate you while the heated gear adds heat. I have a big windshield...

My rule of thumb is to always overdress.
If you're too warm you can remove excess layers.
If you underdress you start off cold and stay that way.

Looking for some advice on some simple/slim base layers to extend my riding season into late Oct and enjoy the fall colors. Wanting to stay more on the slim side as they will need to go under my leathers, with room for a long sleeve over top.

Previously I've used the Knox Cold Killer fitted jacket and pants under my leathers (perforated), along with a long sleeve and it's tolerable. In the years I took off from riding I've umm "out grown" my pants and the shirt is rather tight. Knox as a company doesn't seem to be widely active anymore and I'm sure there is new fabrics and technology.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options and it's hard to tell what companies are selling snake oil versus which actually will keep you warm, stop the wind, etc.

I'm not looking to ride in -10 snow storms, I just want to be able to enjoy some 8-10 degree fall days, without contracting hypothermia lol. I've got room for a slim base layer like this and a thicker long sleeve, so I want to ensure I'm getting some decent use from the base layer.

Looking for recommendations on stuff like this to 1) Stop the wind 2) Keep in body heat:

View attachment 39028

Thanks in advance!

Uniqlo (japanese company) has something called heattech, warm base layer clothing, long selves, t-shirt, long johns. They are thin and warm. I bought them while i was working in Japan still have them. Two stores in Canada, Eaton Centre and Yorkdale Mall now. The prices are good too. check out the link.

http://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/product/men/loungewearunderwear/heattech

Last edited:
+1

I also got heated gear. jacket, pants, gloves and shoes (http://www.tourmaster.com/synergy_2_0) around $1k investment. Worth it? I think so, I was able to ride until mid December and start mid February.

Agreed, heated gear is well worth the investment. I have a Warm & Safe Gen 4 jacket, Gerbing T5 gloves, First Gear pants and socks (made by Warm & Safe), Warm & Safe wireless dual circuit troller. With some smart shopping, I think everything cost me about $500.

With heated gear, I no longer have to dress like the Michelin Man to stay warm. The wireless troller allows me to regulate the temperature on the fly as the temperature shifts. Amazing setup. Only caveat is most bikes don't have the electrical juice for a full setup. At minimum I would get a heated jacket.

This is a great deal if one of the sizes fits, https://gpbikes.com/rapidfire-heate...ss-heat-controller-while-quantities-last.html

For regular base layers, I have the Under Armour Infrared leggings and shirt. They work well for what they are.

The Uniqlo Heattech stuff is nice but no where near warm enough for me for cold weather riding, great for casual wear though.

natural is the way to go, so merino wool. Breathes and anti everything pretty much. and if you need more, heated gear is the next line of defense.

I find that shopping for snowmobile gear works well. You will find some pretty decent layers for substantially less than brand name gear sold in sporting good stores, that includes the merino wool layers and man made fibres.

Heated grips and heated gear is the best way I've found to bear the weather. If you go this route consider adding a voltmeter to your bike to monitor the charging state.

If you don't like merino wool layers next to your skin (I don't apart from socks) then capilene stuff is comfy. MEC sells some. Rayon (or more trendily nowadays called bamboo) is also comfy. Just layer for warmth.

I dress like I am going ski ing. Thermals, Heated jacket and gloves. The only problem on the motorbike the bloody skis get in the way.

I dress like I am going ski ing. Thermals, Heated jacket and gloves. The only problem on the motorbike the bloody skis get in the way.

I wish there was a like feature. :p

I don't have any special base layer other than an E-vest under a sweat shirt and my dickie to keep my neck warm. Rode my KLR to work today in 7C temps and was toasty. Didn't even have the liner in my jacket. With the liner in I'd be ok to almost 0C at which point I'm more worried about traction on cold tires.

Back
Top Bottom