The audiophile thread | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The audiophile thread

http://www.vulture.com/article/sharp-objects-home-stereo-system.html

I actually recognized part of that sound system when I was watching the show (Sharp Objects) which led me to the article :rolleyes::).

It's definitely an audiophile system.

I have a Sima Amp and preamp. Quality gear. Maybe a tad bright. Spec sheets are photocopied sheets of paper with the actual bench test stats written in in pen. Interesting note in amp manual. Victor practically insists on going to the extra effort of wiring in a separate 30 amp circuit for the amp alone.

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of those Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Based on my experience and research I had to pull the trigger. I love the colors they use in this version, beautiful. They're stuck at the border currently. We'll see how long it takes, though it's no rush. The offer is still on and it's a great Christmas gift idea even if it isn't in the box under the tree.

Last edited:
Perfect timing for me to stumble on this thread....with all the travelling in planes and boats over the last few months I'm looking for a headphone (ideally sub-$200) with some noise cancellation features. Doesn't need to be BT but can be, and something that's fairly comfortable. Any suggestions? I missed the BB Boxing Day deals but I wasn't prepared to spend lots of $ on something without doing some proper reviews. I'm not an audiophile, but mainly use it for podcasts, movies, and shows on the iPad during my travels. Any suggestions?

Perfect timing for me to stumble on this thread....with all the travelling in planes and boats over the last few months I'm looking for a headphone (ideally sub-$200) with some noise cancellation features. Doesn't need to be BT but can be, and something that's fairly comfortable. Any suggestions? I missed the BB Boxing Day deals but I wasn't prepared to spend lots of $ on something without doing some proper reviews. I'm not an audiophile, but mainly use it for podcasts, movies, and shows on the iPad during my travels. Any suggestions?

Off the top of my head, these are on sale right now at Amazon.ca, $170 at this time.
Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC Bluetooth Active Noise Cancellation Headphones
https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-4-50-Bluetooth-Cancellation/dp/B01MSZSL4I

The 4.40 version there is even less expensive. $130
https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-4-40-BT-Bluetooth/dp/B01MSZSJE9

Last edited:
Just adding to the great suggestions above i.e the Sennheiser models.

I would suggest you take a look at the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2- I have it, and would highly recommend it. Noise cancelling is obviously not in the Bose category, but music is great on it, and the battery life is awesome. However, I would not recommend you to buy it at it's listed price i.e $250. They come up on sale on and off for about $100 off- that's the time to buy it.

If you have some patience you should be able to catch the Sony MDR1000X on sale for around that price or a little bit over. Fantastic headphones for travel. I waited and caught them at 2xx (can’t quite remember) a while back. Hi Res Audio and Bose equaling noise reduction in a wireless set that folds down nicely. They are currently at $400ish though but there’s a successor to these headphones out now.

Just adding to the great suggestions above i.e the Sennheiser models.

I would suggest you take a look at the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2- I have it, and would highly recommend it. Noise cancelling is obviously not in the Bose category, but music is great on it, and the battery life is awesome. However, I would not recommend you to buy it at it's listed price i.e $250. They come up on sale on and off for about $100 off- that's the time to buy it.

Also a great option, I had two pairs of backbeats but I eventually sold the Pro 2 to get the Sony pair.

If you have some patience you should be able to catch the Sony MDR1000X on sale for around that price or a little bit over. Fantastic headphones for travel. I waited and caught them at 2xx (can’t quite remember) a while back. Hi Res Audio and Bose equaling noise reduction in a wireless set that folds down nicely. They are currently at $400ish though but there’s a successor to these headphones out now.

wow- you got it for a great price. I had my eyes on these when I was hunting for a pair of NC bluetooth headphones, but the cheapest I thought they had come to was around the $300 price point when it was on sale in Costco and Canada Computers. You got it a steal.

Cool thanks guys. I'll look into some models over the coming days as I'm not home until mid-Jan anyway.

wow- you got it for a great price. I had my eyes on these when I was hunting for a pair of NC bluetooth headphones, but the cheapest I thought they had come to was around the $300 price point when it was on sale in Costco and Canada Computers. You got it a steal.

I keep an eye on deal threads on various forums and always found my old headphones easy to sell on Kijiji to recoup some cash. The Sony’s are good enough that I don’t feel the need to look for anything better. The backbeats are great though but the Sony noise cancelling tech is pretty amazing.

Edit: I think I got the Sony headphones from TheSource on a sale day and enrolling in some program they offered that got a further 20% off or something. It involved a few sign-ups but was worth it.

I keep an eye on deal threads on various forums and always found my old headphones easy to sell on Kijiji to recoup some cash. The Sony’s are good enough that I don’t feel the need to look for anything better. The backbeats are great though but the Sony noise cancelling tech is pretty amazing.

Edit: I think I got the Sony headphones from TheSource on a sale day and enrolling in some program they offered that got a further 20% off or something. It involved a few sign-ups but was worth it.

PSP- eh?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom