Ducati Stradale V4 Motor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Stradale V4 Motor

BigEvilDoer

Well, here's the video that Ducati just released showcasing the new motor.
Revs quite nicely... Red line is 14500 rpm. At 300+ km/h the speedo shows "---"

[video=youtube_share;xRNq5YT_r38]http://youtu.be/xRNq5YT_r38[/video]

Those Desmo belt vendors must be swooning at the prospect of doubling their sales figures.

You'd think when ducati was making a hype video, they would make it sound better than a 300 with factory exhaust.

They havent had belts for a while in the superbike engines.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Those Desmo belt vendors must be swooning at the prospect of doubling their sales figures.

It's pretty obvious (to me) from the shape of the valve covers that there are no belts. The bumps on the one side of the visible valve cover suggest gears between the two camshafts, although I would imagine that there is a primary gear underneath that is chain driven. (wouldn't be the first engine to do it that way)

Elsewhere it has been suggested that it is a 90 degree V-twin with 70-degree offset crank pins. That's going to mean an exceptionally odd irregular firing pattern. Current Ducati twins fire 270 - 450 degrees apart. They talk about a "twin pulse" firing pattern ... I suspect this means that each crank pin has the same (as previous) firing pattern but one of them trails the other by 70 degrees. Firings would be at 0 - 70 - 270 - 340, thus the firing intervals are 70 - 200 - 70 - 380, thus sounding kinda like a V-twin but not really ... There are quite a few other possible firing patterns with what has been described but they wouldn't fit the "twin pulse" description.

Sure hope that sounds better once a proper exhaust system is on it ... I've heard vacuum cleaners that sound better than that!

I don't think we're hearing any exhaust sound, it's probably been ducted well outside the room so that video would be pure mechanical melody.

Glad to see Ducati loosen its obsession with 'heritage' and 'legacy' that has tied its hands so much technologically. Tube frames, dry clutches, desmo, v-twin. Not that they're necessarily bad, but a top shelf product needs to be open to all possibilities and not stuck always trying to relive past glories. Thanks Audi!

Well said Fastar1.I'm thinking about going Italian again with my next bike.It will have to be very impressive tho.I've been stung by parts availability and lousy resale value in the past.The build quality is great tho.

Surprised there's no colour in those exhaust primaries during the more extended runs to redline. Seems like the soundtrack is not tied to the engine in the vid, perhaps?

It's pretty obvious (to me) from the shape of the valve covers that there are no belts. The bumps on the one side of the visible valve cover suggest gears between the two camshafts, although I would imagine that there is a primary gear underneath that is chain driven. (wouldn't be the first engine to do it that way)

Elsewhere it has been suggested that it is a 90 degree V-twin with 70-degree offset crank pins. That's going to mean an exceptionally odd irregular firing pattern. Current Ducati twins fire 270 - 450 degrees apart. They talk about a "twin pulse" firing pattern ... I suspect this means that each crank pin has the same (as previous) firing pattern but one of them trails the other by 70 degrees. Firings would be at 0 - 70 - 270 - 340, thus the firing intervals are 70 - 200 - 70 - 380, thus sounding kinda like a V-twin but not really ... There are quite a few other possible firing patterns with what has been described but they wouldn't fit the "twin pulse" description.

Brian, you're scaring away the chicks, dude. You could have just quoted the article: "Desmodromic part chain, part gear timing with dual overhead camshaft, 4 valves per cylinder". Still sounds like lots of extra *parti*.

Last edited:
Been considering adding a Monster 1200 to the garage. Hmm I wonder if we'll see a V4 Monster.

Been considering adding a Monster 1200 to the garage. Hmm I wonder if we'll see a V4 Monster.

My guess would be it will be a generation later (eg. SS gets the V4 now, Monster gets it at least a year or two later). Who knows, they may follow Ape and release naked and faired at the same time to make everyone happy.

I found the firing order in the CMG article. http://canadamotoguide.com/2017/09/07/heres-the-new-ducati-desmosedici-stradale-engine/

It isn't what I thought it was. It's 0-90-290-380 (so the firing spacings will be 90 - 200 - 90 - 340). They're firing the two cylinders on each crankpin in sequence (one 90 degrees past the other) and then firing the two cylinders on the other crankpin in sequence. This is very unusual for a V-type engine. The normal practice is to fire each cylinder that is on that crankpin on alternate revolutions with the thinking that this reduces stress on the crankshaft.

Back
Top Bottom