3 months, 5000k's and loving it! | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 months, 5000k's and loving it!

Joe_72T

Hello All,

First of all I wanted to thank you all for the wonderful info and support this site gives new riders like myself. I have learned a lot and since lurking here I have gotten my training, M2 licence, bought full gear and bought my first bike (Honda CB500F). I've had the bike a full 3 months now, put on 5000kms and I can honestly say the freedom that this sport yields is incredible! Happy with my 1st bike and really love to ride.

It's been a great learning curve and so far been safe. I know I have a lot to learn and it will take years to get to a high level but I feel like I want to spread my wings so to speak. 5 hours around Lake Simcoe has been the longest ride thus far. I saw this great video on the Tail of the Dragon and it looks wicked but also so much fun. Has anyone dared to go on any long trips with as little experience as myself?

Ty again and cheers!

Congratulatuons! The 500 Honda bikes are all great bikes.

If you feel confident in your ability to ride, there is nothing stopping you from taking the trip now. I rode 2 up to Cabot Trail after having my license for 5 months.

Once you're comfortable riding, long trips are no big deal.
It's more your stamina and learning what stuff to bring with you that you build through experience.

Wow that's a lot of mileage in 3 mos ... I've barely put more than that in 2 years!

Did you by chance try a Triumph Street Twin while shopping around?

My first trip was about a year after I got my lic. Went from TO to BC to LA and back. Took about a month.

Wow that's a lot of mileage in 3 mos ... I've barely put more than that in 2 years!

I don't think so.. I know a noob rider that has done about 7,000kms in 3 months. Hes got spare time, and since I have been showing him the good roads outside of Toronto, he's out doing long day rides getting experience..

This summer, the Kms are probably low on most weekend riders odo's as many are fair weather riders. The guys who commute will always put on the KMs though

Last edited:

Just hit 3,000 on the R3..bought it first week of July :eek:

I'm a new rider with some spare time, did the RTI course and with lots of mentoring am now at just over 7k in 4 months and loving it!! I have made many mistakes but learning all the time, there is a lot to be said for luck during this period. There is no substitute for practice I found no matter how much you research but good to know the theory as you put it into practice.

Gone from a 750 to my first 1000 and loving the torque, makes for nice cruising especially with the quick shifter. Finding riding position on a sport bike a bit tiring for long distance but getting used to it.

Have spent a lot of time into tech which if I had used for more riding time I would have more kms by now.

Also as a car driver I am much more aware of motorcycle riders now and disturbing to see how many drivers have no regard for riders, are blatantly using mobile devices while driving so pre-empting thier actions while being defensive helps.

Also hate gravel and grooved road surfaces so avoid both at all costs.

I rode to PEI, Cape Breton and Newfoundland and back at 17yrs old with just over 1 year of riding and about 6000km of experience. It was a great trip. The key is planning. Know your limits for how long you can ride, riding in bad weather, being tired etc and plan accordingly. Don't push yourself if you want to enjoy the trip. In my experience, if you want to enjoy the trip and have time to stop and look at roadside look outs etc and have a relaxing meal, I find it takes me 2hrs to travel 100km. Example: if you are willing to be on the road for 12hrs each day then I would plan a maximum daily distance of 600km. I've done long high mileage days (1,750km in 20hrs) and they are WORK. Sure, I traveled a long distance in one day, but I had zero interest in riding the next day. Had I been on vacation the next day would have been a waste.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself as much as you are. I've been riding 20yrs now and still get excited every spring and find new ways to make riding exciting.

nice to hear the enthusiasm - do a pennsylvania run with someone who knows the area ...fall is great - it's only 4 hours to get into superb riding areas
44/144 alone will give you eye popping fun

Ty All for the words of encouragement and great responses!! Will plan some decent long rides next year for sure.

Cheers,

Congrats - always good to see riders actually getting out there and riding past the nearest Tim Hortons that seems to suck in so many others LOL.

Insurance companies say that the "average" motorcyclist in Ontario rides about 1000KM a year, which considering some (like me) ride that in a day (I'm coming up on 20,000KM for the season) means that a lot of others on the far other side of the bell curve must manage only a few hundred KM at best. You're already on the right side of that bell curve. ;)

Plan some trips when time allows and really get out there - if you're a camper just throw your tent and sleeping bag on the back with a change of clothes and the adventure level increases!

I would recommend against riding to the US when you're so new, especially alone. Too many things can happen and it's much harder if you're in a different country. Plenty of riding you can do in Ontario until you rack up some experience. Try riding up to the algonquin park area, later this month the leaves will get orange and it makes for some great pictures.

If the bike is in good mechanical condition, distance and country shouldn't be an issue. On my 2nd year trip, I actually went down on Vancouver Island before going to the US for about 3 weeks. I just made sure not to wear a blue or red bandana in LA.

To the OP awesome! As a new rider myself this kind of post really interests me. I would be curious what route you took around Lake Simcoe. Did you just venture off or plan it out? Did you keep a log of your travels. This is something I have read about someplace else. Riders keeping logs of their ventures on the road, then refer back to them if they redo the trip etc. What do you have your sights set on next, locally I mean?

Wish I could ride to LA, that would be awesome. Pesky assault on record though, means my future road trip will be this side of the border exclusively. My record will be discharged in 3 years, but since info is shared with DHS, and Americans don't delete it just because you're discharged, probably still won't be able to go.

I do have plans to do atleast one cannonball next year though. Montreal too, and maybe maritimes. I'm at 2500km on the Phantom since May. It's not alot, but it's mostly because I spend alot of time with my o'lady, who has been afraid to 2up without a backrest, so we take my truck alot. Backrest arrived and was installed yesterday, so once we head to TOBG and get her some gear, that will change.

Het there sburns,

I am really fortunate that I live near Caledon and I find the roads to be wonderful. Usually no traffic, winding and scenic. I take the back roads a lot and have ridden the Forks many times. (one of my fav rds) I don't ride to work as I need my car for that so when I get home I just ride. The freedom is what I like the best.

My trip around the lake was just winginging it and hugging the water when I could. I found myself on the highway for a bit which was ok but not ideal on my naked bike. There is an app called: eat sleep ride. Many people use it to track their route and I did use it for that trip. about 300k and 5 hours.

Would love to go for a fall ride to Algonquin on a sat or sun before I put her to sleep.

Cheers,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom