Owning up to your mistakes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Owning up to your mistakes

FLSTC

The thread was closed for some reason, but just wanted to give high praise to noob_in_mid_age for owning up to his crash (following too close, too much brake) instead of blaming it on the driver in front.

Last year there was a thread here where a child ran out into the road, the cars stopped and the rider behind blamed his crash on those cars stopping suddenly.

Also, the opinion of 'had to lay it down' is still quite alive out there (eg: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gene...ding-season-over-left-turn-strikes-again.html)

Some years ago someone posted some still photos of an old US Army publication.
It seems they taught their motorcycle riders how to lay the bike down while taking fire.
In one fell swoop the bike was down, the rider was crouched behind it and the tommy gun was withdrawn and ready to return fire.
I guess someone shooting at you was sufficient motivation to try this and the Army fixed the bike.
But the legend of laying down the bike continues.

All is good so far. Great.
Owning up to a mistake also brings on people who judge you.

I always admit to all the stupid **** I do. I think it makes for funny stories. Seems some people have too much pride to laugh at themselves or learn from their mistakes.

I always admit to all the stupid **** I do. I think it makes for funny stories. Seems some people have too much pride to laugh at themselves or learn from their mistakes.

So true. I say laugh at yourself if you can not, call me I will laugh at you.

I can't believe the "had to lay it down" idea persists.

Because metal on asphalt with zero control is apparently better than rubber (braking hard until the last possible second at that), while still remaining in control?

I can't believe the "had to lay it down" idea persists.

Because metal on asphalt with zero control is apparently better than rubber (braking hard until the last possible second at that), while still remaining in control?

If you feel the need to leave your bike intentionally. In most crashes you would be much better served by jumping as high as you can at the last second to try to go over the obstacle. Seems awfully complicated to me in the heat of the situation. I am sticking with threshold braking until I stop or crash into the object (assuming it is too close/too large to turn and avoid).

As someone commented on the thread FLS linked to, "Why would you intentionally crash to try to avoid a crash?". Especially if the other vehicle didn't end up being in the way after all - stops at the last second, accelerates out of your way, etc - then you're involved in a fully at-fault single vehicle accident with likely injuries on top of it all.

It's good to see some questioning it there as well. It wasn't that long ago that the mindset in the olschool HD crowd was simply unquestionable.

To this day if you go to a Timmies Angels meeting and bring it up as a topic of discussion amonst a bunch of old school riders (or parking lot poseurs, more often than not) many will argue it to death as being the correct course of action, though.

In the land of Layerdown, the rider who brakes is king.

Last edited:
If you fall off, and you're still with the bike, when the tires hook back up with traction, you're going for a flight.

Back
Top Bottom