Gas rage | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas rage

Although this post is over half a year old by now, i find that the biggest MOST people need (say with 2 kids) is a wagon.
Better handling as there's lower centre of gravity/less body roll, my wagon actually has more storage space the most SUVs (and i'm not talking about 2-row SUVs obviously), it's easier for my toddler to get in and out of my car... and the safety ratings tend to be better in cars than suvs as well and that's without talking about the main subject of the thread, GAS savings.

i agree. I would love a wagon at some point as I love them...however the number of wagons around here is terrible. Very limited options in North America. My fav has always been the Volvo V70R....but rare to find them clean and I'd be terrified of repairs with that age on them.

i agree. I would love a wagon at some point as I love them...however the number of wagons around here is terrible. Very limited options in North America. My fav has always been the Volvo V70R....but rare to find them clean and I'd be terrified of repairs with that age on them.
3 large sons, so SUV's and Wagons are pretty much out, as are many Minivans. A truck just takes up too much space. So, for now it's an Odyssey.

This is a great option that for some strange reason most people immediately dismiss out of hand without thinking more about at all. I'd say it's better to have a vehicle that handles 95% of what you want to do in an excellent manner and rent a truck for the other times when you need one, as opposed to getting a vehicle that handles 100% of what you want to do but has some significant compromises. The first way gets you the best vehicle for your needs all the time; the second way gets you an average vehicle with compromises most of the time. Plus when crunching the costs it's often pretty much a wash between the two scenarios.

I also see the added bonus in 5% renting of switching things up from time to time and trying out new vehicles without having to buy. It's nice to have some variety and change things up. Many people buy, get bored, and buy again. That's a costly endeavour.

For some people there are other options than renting as well. Borrowing or swapping vehicles with family or friends can be a reasonable option as well.

Yes! We have two sedans (one large, one mid size), both get around 10l/100k city and 6 to 8 highway (both manual and turbo). They cover 99% of everything we need to do AND I am renovating a good size house (plus have two kids)--I can get 12' lumber in the large one with the seats down and the trunk closed! We rent a van or pickup a few times per year (less than $400 spent on rentals per year--usually much less) for dump runs, large purchases etc. If I drove a fashion truck I would pay an extra 2 to 3K in gas with my driving, so I am $1600 to $2600 in the black.

Also as a driving enthusiast there is no way I would want to drive a POS 99% of the time just to cover the 1%.

I have a friend that needs to tow, has horses etc. He bough a beater F350 for those needs. Drives his cars day to day. Even after maintenance, and insurance he is still thousands in the black. Two things though, he has the space for the third vehicle (small ranch) and commutes for work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom