Gas rage | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas rage

My Costco sells diesel and it's still 90.9. I will wait ten minutes to save $20 filling my truck.

I don't get the obsession that people have with gas prices. I drive 4k km's a month, in a car that gets about 7L/100km's average. At a $1 per litre that's $280/month. $1.30/litre would run me an extra $84 a month. I'm not rich, but I'm definitely not going to lose sleep over that.

$84 a month would pay for my motorcycle insurance and then some. Or my phone and a dinner or two.

I'm currently tracking my car at 39mpg so I'm only pretending to be concerned

I feel for the people up north (like past Sudbury). When I was up there recently, before the hike, gas was already at $1.19/L for regular while I got 91 in Toronto at $1.11/L.

Because safety! LoL

i can't understand people who buy these behemoth trucks and SUVs for no reason but wanting to be a larger presence on the road. We have the 2012 Rogue which is very comfortable and size wise the max I'd want to go.

I like small vehicles and try to take the golf whenever possible. Sadly, two carseats plus a 65 lb dog exceeds the capabilities of the golf. The next dog (if there is a next dog) will be small enough to fit between the kids so we can take the small car. It is amazing how much you can stuff it in when inanimate objects are involved. It pisses me off to spend $80 in gas on a trip the golf could do for $25 (with the added benefit of a much nicer and quieter ride) because of the dog. A rogue is probably not big enough for a weekend trip once the dog uses up half the cargo area.

EDIT:
On the way home from the cottage monday, I saw gas prices from 118 to 132 and diesel from 98 to 105. Diesel continues the tradition of much more stable pricing (although not always cheaper then gas it moves much much less).

Last edited:
Why not drive cars instead of big, stupid, gas guzzling suv's and pickup trucks? Lower the demand.

This is exactly why they are able to do what they do; because consumers are willing to curtail their wants to suit the price setting economy we have here.

Gas prices are 1.5-2x what they should be? Consumer answer: SELL YOUR TRUCK AND STOP GOING PLACES

Hydro pricing astronomical? Consumer answer: BUY ENERGY EFFICIENT LIGHT BULBS AND TURN OFF YOUR AC, SWEAT IT OUT

Cell phone plan pricing astronomical? Consumer answer: STOP USING DATA

Do we see a tend here in Ontario yet? This has to be one of the worst places in a first world country to live in terms of consumer fairness and buying power. It isn't just gas, it is every possibly utility and feature of the modern world that we are raped for here. And I use the word rape because that's exactly what it is.

Have you taken a look at Quebec cell phone plans? They cost less than half what Ontario's do. The reason why? They have local competition from companies like Videotron that FORCE Bell, Telus, and Rogers to have realistic cell phone plans in those provinces. In Ontario we do not have any smaller local competition so they are free to conspire and price set. I just loop holed a $49 6GB, unlimited calling plan from Quebec, the same features here in Ontario cost $120.

Internet is much the same, I have friends in foreign countries with drastically lower quality of living standards, who would be able to get two unlimited internet providers for less than the cost of one of our 'metered' plans.

The government seems more concerned with what country requires foreign aid next, than how to improve our internal citizens lives. It's pathetic.

I feel for the people up north (like past Sudbury). When I was up there recently, before the hike, gas was already at $1.19/L for regular while I got 91 in Toronto at $1.11/L.

Whenever I go North, I find gas prices are significantly cheaper....? (The farther North I go)

On Sunday where gas prices were 132.x in Richmond Hill, it was around 124.x a bit North of Orangeville, and 117.x in Owensound.

The sad part is, I can get ~750-800kms on a tank (55L) when driving up there, while I can only get ~500kms on a tank driving in Toronto.

Last edited:
Whenever I go North, I find gas prices are significantly cheaper....? (The farther North I go)

On Sunday where gas prices were 132.x in Richmond Hill, it was around 124.x a bit North of Orangeville, and 117.x in Owensound.

The sad part is, I can get ~750-800kms on a tank (55L) when driving up there, while I can only get ~500kms on a tank driving in Toronto.
It does get cheap around Orangeville area. Much higher and it starts climbing. Northwest Territories does not have cheap gas.

The areas I was in are all north of Wawa.

Cell phone (unlimited data) $40/mth
Internet 60/10 $65/mth

Not that bad.

Gas Prices...definitely hurts the wallet to fill up the minivan but it pushes me to ride the bike more and plan my trips.

However, a fuel shortage or strike where gas stations are closed down for days like I experienced in the UK is much more of an inconvenience.

This is exactly why they are able to do what they do; because consumers are willing to curtail their wants to suit the price setting economy we have here.

Gas prices are 1.5-2x what they should be? Consumer answer: SELL YOUR TRUCK AND STOP GOING PLACES

Hydro pricing astronomical? Consumer answer: BUY ENERGY EFFICIENT LIGHT BULBS AND TURN OFF YOUR AC, SWEAT IT OUT

Cell phone plan pricing astronomical? Consumer answer: STOP USING DATA

Do we see a tend here in Ontario yet? This has to be one of the worst places in a first world country to live in terms of consumer fairness and buying power. It isn't just gas, it is every possibly utility and feature of the modern world that we are raped for here. And I use the word rape because that's exactly what it is.

Have you taken a look at Quebec cell phone plans? They cost less than half what Ontario's do. The reason why? They have local competition from companies like Videotron that FORCE Bell, Telus, and Rogers to have realistic cell phone plans in those provinces. In Ontario we do not have any smaller local competition so they are free to conspire and price set. I just loop holed a $49 6GB, unlimited calling plan from Quebec, the same features here in Ontario cost $120.

Internet is much the same, I have friends in foreign countries with drastically lower quality of living standards, who would be able to get two unlimited internet providers for less than the cost of one of our 'metered' plans.

The government seems more concerned with what country requires foreign aid next, than how to improve our internal citizens lives. It's pathetic.

I think if you were actually raped the difference would be pretty clear.

So you want to idle in line for 30 minutes to save a few bucks? I've only tried costco gas a few times and each time it took 10x as long as a normal gas station.

The Costco coming is a gift actually.

As seen at the Ancaster Costco gas bar, because of their low prices, the competing gas stations in the area match or are very close to the Costo price.

Its great!

The same thing should happen here when Stoney Creek Costco opens. Those gas stations on Fruiltand and Casablanca exits right off the highway purposely have higher than usual prices since people coming off the highway can't be bothered driving around looking for cheaper gas and getting dinged.

With that great big Costco visible from the highway, I'm very confident those other stations are going to take a hit, or be forced to lower their prices.

I don't get the obsession that people have with gas prices. I drive 4k km's a month, in a car that gets about 7L/100km's average. At a $1 per litre that's $280/month. $1.30/litre would run me an extra $84 a month. I'm not rich, but I'm definitely not going to lose sleep over that.

And that mentality is exactly why we get shafted with everything in this province

The Costco coming is a gift actually.

As seen at the Ancaster Costco gas bar, because of their low prices, the competing gas stations in the area match or are very close to the Costo price.

Its great!

The same thing should happen here when Stoney Creek Costco opens. Those gas stations on Fruiltand and Casablanca exits right off the highway purposely have higher than usual prices since people coming off the highway can't be bothered driving around looking for cheaper gas and getting dinged.

With that great big Costco visible from the highway, I'm very confident those other stations are going to take a hit, or be forced to lower their prices.
This is also very true. I was at ancaster Costco Sunday, gas everywhere else in the city was approaching $1.30, Costco was 1.18 but the lines were horrendous. However because of Costco, the shell and Esso were both at 1.21 and had no line. Went there.

I have been riding my bike whenever possible anyway, but today I had to bring my air compressor home from my shop, actually cringed when I fired up the truck.

Here's one week of commuting for me now with the Volt....I'm happy with this. Sucks having payments....but $200 to the gas companies...or $200 to the car ownership....I'll take the latter.

image1.JPG

Kind of funny how it works out....

Civic Commute - ~$200 in gas + $160 in parking
Volt Commute - ~$20 in electricity + $160 in parking ($300/year less in insurance) (free charge at the office)
GO Bus - $240/month + an extra 45-60min/day
Motorcycle - $50/month in gas but....bike for sale and it's getting cold

Obviously mileage not included on the cars....but it adds up quick at 38km/way

Last edited:
Well, guess I better get some good cold weather riding gear. Reports are saying that the recent gas gouge wont be ebbing any time soon. They still lie to us and blame southern refinery shut downs due to the hurricanes. Playing to the fact that much of the population isn't bright enough to figure out that we have our own refineries here in Canada, here in Ontario in fact.

Here we are, paying an average of $1.29CAD per liter, equivalent to $3.92US per gallon. The excuse being the shut down of American refineries. All while Gas Buddy shows the current Sunoco price in Lewiston, NY just across the border is $2.69US per gallon. That's equivalent to 88c/L CAD. Or How about $2.05 at the Exxon in Vinton, Louisianna? or $1.89 in Houston, $2.04 in San Antonio. Want to call the media and gov out on their ********? Theres an app for that. Thanks Gas Buddy!

The real fact is, they can use any excuse they want, or none for that matter. People will still line up en masse regardless of the price. Most are too stupid or don't care. Unfortunately, Canada is the best country in the world to conduct unethical business practices. There is no provision within our competition laws which covers price gouging, and the monopoly and price fixing laws are not only never enforced, but they are even broken by the government in some provinces, especially this one. The hurricane shut down should not for any reason threaten Ontario's gasoline supply, which means using the hurricane as a scapegoat for an arbitrary 30% spike, is the very definition of gouging. That's why prices are practically frozen in America, because gouging isn't legal there, but our government declares open season on us.

Hop on a bike or use transit for a week. No cabs or Ubers unless they are 100% alternative fuel. All we have to do is make gas stations into ghost towns for a week, to put them on their knees. Sadly though we can't do it for a day. Well atleast I know my cage still won't be seeing much use even as we get into the colder months. Unless necessary to carry passengers or cargo, my truck is staying parked until it becomes unsafe to ride. On the bright side, it looks like the new Costco under construction at Fifty Rd is getting a gas bar.

Yeah, it's lame... Canada's still not that bad tho compared to other places. Europe has it pretty bad when it comes to fuel prices. It's a question of supply/taxes/etc... but I feel what you're saying. I'm personally tired of getting ****ed on everything I buy when it's noticeably cheaper down south.

prices on the way down have consistently dropped
~16 CDN to fill at home

NY, PA, VN, TN were around ~12 USD - virtually the same as Canada

further down into petro-country, AL, MS, LA and TX
was consistently ~9 USD to fill ~ 4 CDN less/tank to fill

could be the way I'm riding, but bike seems to go further on CDN gas

Hmmm doesn't your model have a bigger tank then the FZ? I've never paid less than $17 since the new year when E flashes.

Yeah, it's lame... Canada's still not that bad tho compared to other places. Europe has it pretty bad when it comes to fuel prices. It's a question of supply/taxes/etc... but I feel what you're saying. I'm personally tired of getting ****ed on everything I buy when it's noticeably cheaper down south.

At least over there you can actually use public transit and rail to get places, over here not so much.

It's this low? We aren't carbon taxing it enough!!! The environmentalist are ashamed. We should be paying $5/litre and money from that should be going to feel good hippie projects. #EcoTerrorism

Back
Top Bottom