Buy denim jacket for motorcycle riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buy denim jacket for motorcycle riding

Hi

I am looking to buy a denim jacket for motorcycle riding in and around Toronto area. I working with a budget hence cannot afford leather right now but that's the next one once I get some money. I am on the heavy side body wise (6ft - 270 lbs) so minimum I believe would be 2XL which is why I am looking to go to a brick and mortar store so that I can try it out.

I tried looking online and all I can see are leather jackets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Kijiji is your friend and you should be able to pick up leather in your size.

I'd rather used leather over any denim or textile new.

And I'm willing to wager you'll find something that is like new or never used for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denim has almost no protection. Get a textile jacket at the least. Above suggestions are good. Regear or online used you can try out.

Denim is passable for the course, but not recommended for the street.

The time that you save in healing if you go down, is worth it.

If you can get HERE, then it's highly recommended that you go to Tons of Bike Gear in St Anns. They have a huge selection, and the best prices I've seen anywhere. You can probably get outfitted head to toe for the price of one nice jacket at fortnine.

Mind you, I went on kijiji in Apriil and found a barely used Joe Rocket leather jacket and brand new pair of Joe Rocket gloves for $150

Last edited:
Check out Cycleworld in Scarborough (Sheppard & McCowan). I bought a textile jacket (Joe Rocket) with elbow guards for $69 off the sale rack. I am just starting out so this was good for me.

I only wear a denim Wrangler jacket on warm days in the summer, and only because it's better than nothing. But leather is the only serious choice and you can get it very, very cheap on Kijiji. You can also get great deals at Leatherup.ca and at the Toronto Motorcycle Show. If you have your heart set on denim you can get the double lined Wrangler jacket which is quite effective.

Most denim jackets aren't made for motorcycle use, i.e. longer arms that are rotated so that they fit when you're sitting on the bike stretching your arms to the handlebars, zipper/wind-flap, wrist closures, etc.

Any denim jackets made for motorcycle use may actually cost more than a textile jacket.

A textile jacket with shoulder and elbow armour would be the cheapest protective item, but still pricey compared to a jean jacket from the GAP.

As mentioned above - regear in Oshawa and/or keep an eye on kijiji. Daytona Motorsports (Steeles/Keele) lists a (new) textile jacket for $115: http://daytonamotorsport.com

If you're really set on denim, check out Saint Unbreakable denim jackets. It will be pricy but they occasionally have sales on their site for almost 50% off for certain sizes.

https://www.saint.cc/unbreakable-jacket-17-black-coated

Just don't confuse their Unbreakable vs their Technical line (one has 66% Dyneema, the other is only 6%)

In the city I wear a Levi's commuter jacket that's made for urban cycling. Water resistant, has good ventilation due to open back mesh paneling, has cordura woven in for extra abrasion protection, 3M reflective tape on the back, and the length is perfect for sitting position on a bike (aka a bit longer in the back and sleeves). Do I recommend it for safety? No of course not. But its better than your typical denim fashion jacket.

For out of town I am basically in full armor. Aether skyline jacket (elbow, shoulder and back d30. although i'm selling this as i just bought a leather jacket) with dainese jeans lined with Kevlar and pro armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
In the city I wear a Levi's commuter jacket that's made for urban cycling. Water resistant, has good ventilation due open back mesh paneling, has cordura woven in for extra abrasion protection, 3M reflective tape on the back, and the length is perfect for sitting position on a bike (aka a bit longer in the back and sleeves). Do I recommend it for safety? No of course not. But its better than your typical denim fashion jacket.

I've got that exact Levi's jacket. Love it! Perfect ergonomic design for biking, just don't fall off.
It was $170.00 marked down to $160 then 50% off ($80.00!!) at the Levi's Store.

Denim offers no protection at all. Might as well be topless.

I don't trust cheap textile much more but at least when I was last looking you could get textile on clearance for $50.

Denim offers no protection at all. Might as well be topless.

I don't trust cheap textile much more but at least when I was last looking you could get textile on clearance for $50.

I've got a scar on my knee from textile that burned through at <50 km/h (armor rotated out of the way, side of the knee burned through). Denim would have been much worse. I wish someone would make textile clothing with leather all the way around the joints. It would be light and comfortable, offer protection where you need it and be much cheaper than a full leather solution.

I'm of the mindset that proper riding gear is part of the cost of riding, just as insurance, registration, gas, and regular maintenance is. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to ride. (Not flaming you, you have the right mindset of wanting to be protected).

Perhaps save up as you intend and then head out on the bike once you're properly protected.

One advantage you have is being a big guy you can probably find some awesome closeout deals at just about most retailers. S M L are always gone, but they seem to always have XL+ sizes for closeouts.

Kijiji sellers will also have a limited market for 2XL so should be very flexible on pricing.

Same thing with my right leg, armour moved, gear opened up,leg out and lovely road rash up to the thigh. Off at speed.....

Perforated leather is a good comprimise but is still hot a heck if you're not moving. Although I hear textile, other than mesh, isn't exactly cold, either.

Although I hear textile, other than mesh, isn't exactly cold, either.

Correct. I bought mesh gear at Royal one hot summer day when sweat was dripping out the bottom of my textile pants and I wasn't sure I could safely ride home with my body temp that high.

Back
Top Bottom