Help me get started | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me get started

giddyup

I am ready to attend some track days next season but do not want to use my street bike.
I am looking to purchase an older bike and convert it for track use over the winter.
I have a truck so getting to and from the track is not an issue.

Some of the bike I am considering are GSXR600/750, R6, FZ6, ZX7 (I know it heavy and slow but it is from my glory days), YZF600, SV650...what are some others I should be considering?
I know what needs to be done to the bike to have it track ready but are there any other tips or tricks?
Weight savings? CAT removal? Pro/cons of carb vs EFI? Full exhaust system? etc...
I read the thread on getting started in track days in Ontario and it stated that the experienced riders will happily offer advice and guidance at the track to new people looking to get involved. I hope that rings true here as well.

Find one already built, it will save you many 1000's of dollars.

That seems to be the concensus.
Anything I should be looking for when buying a used track bike?

Listen to this guy. He is right on the money. Converting yourself is likely to cost double and you end up with a bike that you spend at least the first few weekends sorting out. Buy one already ready to go. Trackbikes are cheaper than streetbikes anyway.

This.

I ignored this advice a couple of years ago when I started, bought a nice cheap ZX7 & then ended up putting in over $2500-$3000 for rear shock, front forks stripping & re-building, tires, track bodywork, better brakes etc etc, you get the picture.
I could have bought a "ready to go" track bike for far less than what I spent overall..............especially at this time of year, wont be long before this years track/race bikes start appearing on Kijiji.

Since I started in 2015 I have found people on this forum & at the track to be really helpful & pleasant, not had any issues with anyone in that respect at all.

Mid September the track bikes start getting sold so you are in the market at the right time.
Sweet! Thanks everyone.

I've got a '99 R6, fully track ready, lots of new parts and spares that's under your budget

This option is even more popular than I expected. You have lots to choose from.
Wow. I was thinking the same thing. Many good deals / offers.
Q re: track days -- does it matter the age of the bike for them? I recall a couple bikes being sold and listed as "perfect for lost era". Just curious.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Wow. I was thinking the same thing. Many good deals / offers.
Q re: track days -- does it matter the age of the bike for them? I recall a couple bikes being sold and listed as "perfect for lost era". Just curious.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

For track days the bike year is irrelevant, small bikes might be restricted to the slow groups, but there will always be a group for any bike.

Lost era is a Race category, racing is completely different and it does limit entry by year in some cases, CC is others and even the type of bike, they all get grouped on classes with other bikes alike.

The older the bike, the harder it is to find parts for. However, if it's the newest model it'll be harder to find cheap spare oem parts unless some transfer over from the previous model.

Guess, I'll throw my hat in the ring here too for consideration. I've got a 13 CBR250 in race trim with plenty of spares in your budget. Riding slow bikes fast is more fun than riding fast bikes slow ;)

Back
Top Bottom