Had a crash need advice on next steps | GTAMotorcycle.com

Had a crash need advice on next steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob_in_mid_age

Good morning all,

I just had an accident and went down on my bike; too much brake when cars in front came to a sudden hard slowdown (I know, I was probably riding too close but I was also in the process of changing lanes). A good Samaritan stopped to help and called 911. since I was OK and the bike started, i had the guy leave and shortly after I rode off before cops or EMT showed up; not trying to evade just did not feel it necessary.

Q1. since there is no report of the accident, can I or should I report it to my insurance? the plastics are damaged beyond repair but there is nothing wrong with the running of the bike; I rode home on it, 20Km.

Q2. if I contact insurance and they report it, can I be charged with leaving the scene of an accident?

Not sure what else to ask but i'd really appreciate some input.

thanks in advance.

Good morning all,

I just had an accident and went down on my bike; too much brake when cars in front came to a sudden hard slowdown (I know, I was probably riding too close but I was also in the process of changing lanes). A good Samaritan stopped to help and called 911. since I was OK and the bike started, i had the guy leave and shortly after I rode off before cops or EMT showed up; not trying to evade just did not feel it necessary.

Q1. since there is no report of the accident, can I or should I report it to my insurance? the plastics are damaged beyond repair but there is nothing wrong with the running of the bike; I rode home on it, 20Km.

Q2. if I contact insurance and they report it, can I be charged with leaving the scene of an accident?

thanks in advance.
Fix it yourself and call it a learning experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Glad you are ok. Any crash that just hurts your wallet is a victory in my book.

If you didn't hit anything else (including vehicles, signs, barriers, etc.) you are free to leave without reporting it.

Depending on the value of the bike, I would probably not fix it through insurance. Your insurance is very likely to substantially increase for the next five or six years on all of your vehicles. I would get it checked out by a competent person or mechanic to make sure that everything is safe to ride (after a crash the brain doesn't work that well). Depending on the bike and your feelings, I would probably ride it rashed or remove the fairings and ride it naked. Unless you can find a cheap set of fairings that someone took off a track bike, buying new fairings is rarely a good financial decision.

EDIT:
Do you still have your 08 250R? If that is the bike we are talking about, no way would I run it through insurance or spring for new fairings. Replacing everything that got a scratch on it will exceed the value of the bike. If you just replace the plastics, it will still be a 250 that slid down the road and the plastics won't get you much more money when it is time to sell. Just ride it ugly and enjoy your time on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Definitely not worth fixing the 250. Guess i'll patch up what I can and continue riding for the rest of the season. I just needed some sage advice from more experienced riders and what you guys gave me makes sense.

Thanks again

Insurance will want a police report. You will have one explaining to do with the cops trying to get one after the fact.

If you call the insurance company and end up not lacking a claim, you still may face an increase because of the incident.

Happened to me when my car stereo was stolen. Ended up not proceeding with a claim and paid myself. At renewal time they put an increase surcharge in for it.

Don't call the insurance company.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

And if you were the only one involved regardless of the circumstances insurance will deem it your fault.

Did you hit the car?

edit: or anything/anyone?

Last edited:
Good morning all,

thanks in advance.
Never, ever call insurance if not necessary, they are all scum, you will be sorry. Insurance companies=scum, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom