Options on how to transport a bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Options on how to transport a bike?

Alderson

I'm getting closer to buying my first bike, but am having a hard time trying to figure out a way to transport the bike back to my place.

I'll have my M1 and exit course complete when I buy the bike, but how do I get it back to my house?

I have a rather large, lifted truck... So lifting the bike into the back isn't an option. I do have a trailer though that could hold the bike, but at the same time... Can I securely keep a bike upright with just the kickstand and ratchet straps?

I'm buying from a private seller, so I won't have dealer plates or anything like that.

Am I able to get insurance or something to be able to ride the bike back home, or should I ask the seller to ride the bike to my place and I would give them a ride back?

Good for you that your're getting a bike but honestly man - all your recent posts and questions can be easily googled. Also, there's a new rider section.

Now, you have a truck and a trailer and you are still wondering what to do??? Yes, you can strap it standing up. There's no other way to strap it. You don't even need a kickstand. 2 straps on the handlebar and maybe 1 or 2 for the rear to keep it from shifting.

Or yes, get the seller to ride the bike over if he can.

Good for you that your're getting a bike but honestly man - all your recent posts and questions can be easily googled. Also, there's a new rider section.

Now, you have a truck and a trailer and you are still wondering what to do??? Yes, you can strap it standing up. There's no other way to strap it. You don't even need a kickstand. 2 straps on the handlebar and maybe 1 or 2 for the rear to keep it from shifting.

Or yes, get the seller to ride the bike over if he can.

You're right, but I'm looking for peoples opinions on what my best option might be. I don't have anyone helping me with this vehicle (motorcycle) purchase, so I have to figure it out somehow...

The videos I've watched and am watching now show extra things like a bike stand and canyon straps for transporting. I just didn't know if these were necessary..Which is again, why I'm asking here instead of a youtube channel which won't get a response.

15 bucks for the day, U-haul motorcycle trailer, a couple of straps, and you can do it all by yourself, load, strap, unload......

ckZKss0.jpg

You're right, but I'm looking for peoples opinions on what my best option might be. I don't have anyone helping me with this vehicle (motorcycle) purchase, so I have to figure it out somehow...

Do you have any friends that ride? If so, ask one of them (or, if not, perhaps someone near to you here could accompany you) to look at a candidate bike, someone who knows what to look for in a bike; all the little nooks and crannies, proverbial and otherwise to make sure you don't get hosed.

A friend who rides might be able to suggest a bike for you as well, in addition to helping you figure out transportation after the purchase.

You've got a truck and a trailer you're almost done.
You don't need canyon straps. If you have ratchet straps you can use them as soft straps to tie the bike down from the lower triples on the forks.
See the images on this page for a way to do it.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/how-to-tips-transporting-your-motorcycle-mc-garage#page-9

Then just tie down from the passenger pegs at the rear.

Don't go nuts when ratcheting down, compress the suspension about an inch and you should be good.

x2 Uhaul motorcycle trailer. If you have a big lifted truck, I assume it has a trailer hitch. $15 and you're done.

The only way to ride it home is:

- Get the previous owner to either do it for you

- Have him leave his plates and insurance on it long enough for you to ride it home. Many people (including myself) would be very unlikely to do the latter (if you crash it's on HIS record), but may do the former, then remove plates at your house once it's delivered.

- If it's safetied already, take all the paperwork to the MTO along with proof of insurance, get it changed into your name and get your plates, and then return and ride it home. This only works if it's already safetied, which since you're buying it as-is doesn't apply for you. But just sayin.

uHaul rental is probably your safest bet. But you did say you already have a trailer? If it's in gear, kickstand down and front wheel jammed against the front of the trailer (assuming it has a rail or wall), it should be find if you ratchet strap the forks down from the lower triple tree. Strap it from 4 corners and should be fine. Ask the seller if they have any experience strapping a bike down. It's not difficult. Just make sure it doesn't move and make sure the front wheel is jammed against something.

you have a trailer, just 2 ratchet straps from the tripp trees down and compress the front end a bit, bike will stand straight up, then throw 1 over the rear tire so it doesnt bounce.

i have canyon dancer tie downs and only used them once and i wasnt a fan...gave 1 set away and i dont think the guy i gave them to has ever used them, grab a couple good tie downs and just tow it.

Youtube has plenty of examples to watch, of how NOT to load a motorcycle into a truck or a trailer!

Best one I've seen in person was someone trying to get a motorcycle into the back of a straight truck (cube van + bigger) and because of how high the floor of the van was, thought it would be a good idea to ride the bike up the ramp.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

The height that the bike fell down from was just enough so that the bike landed completely upside down on the ground, breaking all sorts of expensive stuff in the process.

The newer pickup trucks are all too high, and then people throw lift kits and big wheels on them to make it worse. One of the reasons I bought the van that I bought, is that it has a LOW cargo floor, and I lowered the rear suspension to make it even easier.

At a minimum, get a helper who has done this before. And look at the ways NOT to do it on youtube ...

The newer pickup trucks are all too high, and then people throw lift kits and big wheels on them to make it worse.

That's a whole other topic - ways to take a perfectly functional hauling vehicle and transform it into a barely functional pavement princess. ;)

....The newer pickup trucks are all too high, and then people throw lift kits and big wheels on them to make it worse.....

Helps in the Texas floods though.

If the seller will ride it to deliver and you take them back is the easiest. Your trailer is the next. Easy to strap down with a few ratchet straps....NO side stand use.

Easiest is if the seller will ride it to your place. Downside is this guy now knows where the bike will be kept and may have some friends who like to steal things. No theft insurance and you're SOL and out the cash.

If you are comfortable trailering it home, do so. If you are worried about tying it down on YOUR trailer, seriously consider renting a uhaul motorcycle trailer...comes with a built-in wheel chock, ramp and heavy duty tie down rings in all the right places...oh and it's cheap $$$. I've done this with all my bikes over the years and never had a problem.

Another option, pay a third-party to pick it up and deliver to you. A bit more $$$ but a lot less stress for you. Search on GTAM and you will find some reliable third-party options.

What general area is the seller? Maybe someone on the board can lend a hand.

Whats your 'lifted' truck I've loaded bike into lifted trucks before without much of an issue.
My pick up isn't lifted but in no means have a low bed height.

if you lower the bike onto it's side, either on the trailer or in the pickup bed, it won't fall over while driving.

Easiest is if the seller will ride it to your place. Downside is this guy now knows where the bike will be kept and may have some friends who like to steal things. No theft insurance and you're SOL and out the cash....

Have it dropped off at a nearby parking spot close enough to ride it a short ways on back/side streets or walk it home.

if you lower the bike onto it's side, either on the trailer or in the pickup bed, it won't fall over while driving.

I hope that was tongue in cheek.

What good is a big truck if you can't even get something into the back?

I'm getting closer to buying my first bike, but am having a hard time trying to figure out a way to transport the bike back to my place.

I'll have my M1 and exit course complete when I buy the bike, but how do I get it back to my house?

I have a rather large, lifted truck... So lifting the bike into the back isn't an option. I do have a trailer though that could hold the bike, but at the same time... Can I securely keep a bike upright with just the kickstand and ratchet straps?

I'm buying from a private seller, so I won't have dealer plates or anything like that.

Am I able to get insurance or something to be able to ride the bike back home, or should I ask the seller to ride the bike to my place and I would give them a ride back?

Is the seller willing to safety it? You could then get it insured and plated.

Back
Top Bottom