Can't decide on a Ninja 300, or CBR500 as a beginner bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't decide on a Ninja 300, or CBR500 as a beginner bike

well the way insurance works is they go by the size of the engine.

Not really true. As a new rider he could probably get coverage on an 800, 1100, or 1300CC metric cruiser for about the same money as a 500cc sportbike.

The style of bike makes a HUGE difference in the <SS market, which is the same reason that people are leaning towards nakeds as they often offer similar performance to sportbikes, but the insurance is significantly less.

Not really true. As a new rider he could probably get coverage on an 800, 1100, or 1300CC metric cruiser for about the same money as a 500cc sportbike.

The style of bike makes a HUGE difference in the <SS market, which is the same reason that people are leaning towards nakeds as they often offer similar performance to sportbikes, but the insurance is significantly less.
It is, originally i wanted a cruiser, but after i saw the quotes for vstar 650 and other mid sized metric cruisers i figured might as well get something else

They care if the bike is a ss or not, the next question they ask is how big is the engine

And 500cc is less than 650 last i checked

I got quoted some crazy prices for the bigger harleys too...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

You didn't call the right places then. When I returned to riding after a 20 year absence I was for all intents and purposes rated as a brand new rider all over again. My bike is a 1300cc cruiser. I pay just over $500/year. No way I'd be able to insure a litre SS for that much.

Harley's are more expensive vs a metric because of their high cost to repair and dramatically higher theft risk.

You didn't call the right places then. When I returned to riding after a 20 year absence I was for all intents and purposes rated as a brand new rider all over again. My bike is a 1300cc cruiser. I pay just over $500/year. No way I'd be able to insure a litre SS for that much.

Harley's are more expensive vs a metric because of their high cost to repair and dramatically higher theft risk.
Your insuring your life/limb when you pay for motorcycle insurance, theft rates or repair costs are pretty négligeable to underwriter. No one needs 1 or 2 million dollars for a stolen bike or a damaged bike

They go by risk,

Supersports being high in risk exposure department

The bigger engines also increase risk exposure(cruisers are essentially the same on the risk scale as any other non supersport bike, which is why they dont have have a surcharge)

I suspect if i was your age i would probably be getting similar numbers (or slightly higher for an 1800cc harley)

I called around a bunch of people when i was shopping back then (incl andy singh)
And accounting for age, barring the supersports, the type of motorcycle doesnt really matter, the size of the engine does

A 1300cc adv bike would probably be similar to insuring a cruiser

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not true at all. I ride over 6500 rpm almost constantly. Bike seems to love it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

In comparison to the Ninja 300, 6500 rpm is pretty much a cruising pace, and is around 9-11k when riding at a faster pace when shifting through the gears.

I haven't looked at the tachometer for a while when riding, but if my memory of my peripheral vision serves me correctly, at a steady highway speed of 120-130km/h, it typically sits around 9-10k with some pull left up to 12-13k and a bit more room for a steady speed increase (not much power on reserve) up to 15k.

Not knocking the cbr500, just throwing bits of information for the N300.

Not true at all. I ride over 6500 rpm almost constantly. Bike seems to love it.

I might be off by 500 rpms or so, but the bike is really pretty much dead after the mid range, it redlines at 8500, but the power is gone long before then.
(ninja redlines at 13k, and R3 at 12k)
There is no pull or torque up there, and compared to the competition, its got a non existent top end.

Again, bottom end and mid range is there, but its nothing like the rest

In comparison to the Ninja 300, 6500 rpm is pretty much a cruising pace, and is around 9-11k when riding at a faster pace when shifting through the gears.

I haven't looked at the tachometer for a while when riding, but if my memory of my peripheral vision serves me correctly, at a steady highway speed of 120-130km/h, it typically sits around 9-10k with some pull left up to 12-13k and a bit more room for a steady speed increase (not much power on reserve) up to 15k.

Not knocking the cbr500, just throwing bits of information for the N300.

Also this ^

I think I'm going with the CBR500. I found a couple,.

you are too big for the bike ....:rolleyes:

You will look and feel stupid on it.....you are a beginner .....you came here for advice....how about listening?

20150321-IMG_1797-1-770x770.jpg

There are very few bikes made that will fit your height ....KLR650 Vstrom 650

You will look and feel stupid on it.....you are a beginner .....you came here for advice....how about listening?

He makes it look like a grom.

I'm 6'3" and started on a CBR500. The Ninja 300 pales in comparison, trust me. Its tank also hits you right at the knees. I had it for 3 years and finally moved to a Street Triple after I maxed out its capabilities(scraping pegs all the time, track days, etc.). It's easily the best beginner bike. Let me know if you have any questions. FYI I've ridden pretty much every bike made in the last 5 years so I'm not talking out of my ***.

How tall are you? And is that a 500? It looks like it says 300, but its kinda blurry.

I might be off by 500 rpms or so, but the bike is really pretty much dead after the mid range, it redlines at 8500, but the power is gone long before then.
(ninja redlines at 13k, and R3 at 12k)
There is no pull or torque up there, and compared to the competition, its got a non existent top end.

Again, bottom end and mid range is there, but its nothing like the rest

Also this ^
Have you ridden a CBR 500 ?

Have you ridden a CBR 500 ?

better question is, what other bikes have you ridden?

Back to the point:

https://imgur.com/0MrX0v8

The revs keep increasing, but the power stops building after 7500 rpms

Contrasted with the ninja, while it may have less torque, the power keeps building, and doesnt stop till 11k rpms (compared to the 7500 on the cbr)

It also redlines at an astounding 13000 rpms

and comes with a slipper clutch. Talk about mini sport bike....

Last edited:
better question is, what other bikes have you ridden?

Back to the point:

https://imgur.com/0MrX0v8

The revs keep increasing, but the power stops building after 7500 rpms

Contrasted with the ninja, while it may have less torque, the power keeps building, and doesnt stop till 11k rpms (compared to the 7500 on the cbr)

It also redlines at an astounding 13000 rpms

and comes with a slipper clutch. Talk about mini sport bike....
Sooooo.....you haven't ridden one?

even at 6' the ninja feels a little small... but if it's one thing this bike is good at is eating dirt like a pro, after dropping it 2 times I only had to replace the levers and hammered the shift lever on the curb to bend it back straight :)

i say get a beat up used 300 or something like a wr250 keep it for a year and then get one you like

Back
Top Bottom