Can't decide on a Ninja 300, or CBR500 as a beginner bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't decide on a Ninja 300, or CBR500 as a beginner bike

Alderson

I'm struggling here.. I keep asking so many questions about starting out, and here's another one..

I'm 6'4'' and 210lbs, long legged.

I've been leaning towards the Ninja 300 since the only other bike I thought would be a good starter bike would be a GS500, but those aren't exactly my style. I feel like I would be too tall for a Ninja, especially since I'm more leggy than anything.

I was just looking at the CBR500's and they seem to fit my style a little more, and with a little more power I won't feel the need to upgrade as soon.

They're also in the same price range, the CBR might even be a little cheaper.

What do you guys think? Should I visit some dealerships, try them out, maybe get their opinions?
I know it's personal preference, but you guys are much more knowledgeable and might have some good suggestions/opinions for me.

Get used, i prefer the ninja, mostly because its a mini sport bike, whereas the cbr500r is mostly midrange and hates anything above 6500 rpm

Really whichever is cheaper would be good

Get the one that has the best ergonomics for you. Don't worry about upgrading. Everyone upgrades eventually, don't try to future proof a beginner bike purchase.

And yes, you should go visit dealers and try them out.

Last edited:
Go with the Honda, for your size it will fit you better. Lots of torque, you don't need the massive revs the Kawasaki 300 uses. Whether the R, X or F they will work for you. Probably left overs too from previous years. At 6'4" you will look like a ape on the preverbal monkey bike with the Kwacker.

Keep in mind the cbr while having more torque makes about the same power, but gets hit with a higher insurance Premium because 500cc.

I would prefer the ninja, its literally the Perfect training wheels sport bike, even has slipper clutch.

At 13k rpms i would have way too much fun on that thing

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

....whereas the cbr500r is mostly midrange and hates anything above 6500 rpm

^ this is pure BS

OP needs to do two things IMHO
1. get insurance quotes on each bike
2. go to dealer and sit/test ride each

then buy what works best for him

Last edited:
Good thing i dont ride one

Last edited:
OP - for your height the CB500x is the better choice and better ergo for a new rider ...the CBRs are on the small side.
I'd buy used.

Given your size I would tend toward the bike with more displacement and torque.

The CB500s are classified as "A2" machines in other markets which makes them suitable for new riders but they're not toylike and are often the go-to bike for experienced folks looking to downsize.

As always check with your insurance co before committing to any bike.

I'm 210~ 6'3" and I had the gs500 you mentioned before you settled on the cbr500. It was a great bike to start on, did highway speeds easily and was comfortable, would recommend the 500.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Definitely try them out.

Definitely get insurance quotes.

If i were you id get the 500 because it looks bigger and therefore might look more proportional.

Its more of a city bike where power is within a smaller range, less revving, more shifting where as ninja revs higher to get the same power.

Power is very similar, 500 might have a small edge at the top end... but they're pretty close (the 500 is actually like 479cc if im not mistaken)

Also check pricing for both to see where you can get the best deal..500 i think might be more upright if im not mistaken.

Ninja 300. When you think you're "getting bored" and "have outgrown the bike", bring it to the track with us. Then you'll see you've never really ridden the bike at all. Small bikes on the track are the best!!

honda 500. Reason is major maintenance are every 12k with the kawi, 24k with the honda. So cheaper maintenance overall.

The Ninja 300 and CB500X insurance cost is the same, so the CBR500R might be the same also.
Incorrect

I paid more for the cbr than what i was quoted for the ninja 300, and i shopped around

Incorrect

I paid more for the cbr than what i was quoted for the ninja 300, and i shopped around

I had insurance for the Ninja 300 and CB500X at the same time and it was the same, so I don't think I was incorrect in my statement.

The CBR500R "might" be the same.

I had insurance for the Ninja 300 and CB500X at the same time and it was the same, so I don't think I was incorrect in my statement.

The CBR500R could be more though, like I stated above.

well the way insurance works is they go by the size of the engine. The only exception to this is usually if its a super sport, in which case that rule doesnt apply, and they jack up the rates. (which explains the astronomical quotes i got for a 110 harley)

It is quite fortunate that you got the same rates for both! I must have spoken to half a dozen different brokers and the cbr(maybe because it is the R instead of the X)
and always got a higher quote for the 500

They both make the same amount of power(the 300 and 500)

The 500 is physically slightly larger, and makes more torque, but because of the greater displacement, I was always quoted higher for it than the ninja

Really the only reason i bought the cbr was because i found a killer deal and was essentially given an offer i couldnt refuse

You might find both your noted choices are a bit on the small side. That doesn't mean these are bad choices, but they are compact and neither makes a lot of power. You might feel a little cramped, and once you get up over 200lbs, you'll be running above 8000 RPM to keep enough power to the wheel in almost all riding conditions (I'm in the same weight category, my little Ninja has to be howling to keep me moving no matter where I'm riding).

I doubt you'll keep your first bike long, so if you're set on getting one of these to start you might try used. Another alternative is to fine a good used 600cc bike that is tame enough for beginners. Suzuki SV650 comes to mind -- more comfort, more power, and not much more to insure than a 300cc -- even for a beginner. You'll also find that picking a bike that fits your frame and weight will be comfortable & easier to ride so you'll learn faster and perhaps ride more.

I think I'm going with the CBR500. I found a couple, one with ABS for right aroind the same price as a 300.

You can "upgrade" either bike to make it fit you better.

Visit a dealer to see what options are available for the models your considering.

Seats, bars and pegs can be replaced with something else to help fit you better for either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom