Changing tires, local bike shop or dealership? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changing tires, local bike shop or dealership?

stevenleung0000

So I am planning to get my front tire replaced.
I don't have the tools and knowledge to do a tire change, so DIY is not an option for me...
So I am just wondering is tire change a very simple task that a local motorcycle store should be able to do it?
Or I should bring it to an authorized dealer to do it?

My bike is a 2016 zx-6r, got a nail on front tire, and nearest kawasaki dealer is 30mins away from me, so I will also have to pay for towing.
But there are Honda motorcycle dealer and yamaha/suzuki dealer 5 mins away from me, do you guys think it is safe to bring my bike to them?

Thanks in advance!!

for a tire the dealer selling your bike brand doesn't matter
take it to the closest one that appears reputable

Swapping a tire does not under any circumstances require a dealer visit - any reputable bike shop can do it equally as well, and almost certainly at lower cost on top of it all.

Maybe cheapest option...not necessarily the best. :p I've had tires swapped by Rosey Toes many times and would go again if no one was closer.

Given what's required to have it done, I'd personally double check chain slack and wheel alignment on the rear, and that all bolts are to spec for front and rear, given what's possible if a shop got it wrong.

The OP wants a front tire change, I'd personally double check the chain slack to. And the best before date on the air they put in.......

Your closest local shop can do a front tire change. If they can't they shouldn't be in business.

I have picked up nails and other debris in my tires several times over the years. Here's what I do.
Get a plug similar to those used in car tires and plug the hole. Pump up the tire and then ride it slowly to the bike shop or dealer.
Slowly as the plug will cause vibrations in the tire and the ride.
Beats pushing it or paying for a tow.

I highly doubt you can DIY this unless you have a tire mounting machine.
Go to both dealers and talk to them and get a quote. Make a decision.

I highly doubt you can DIY this unless you have a tire mounting machine..

You don't need a machine to remove or mount tires, especially motorcycle tires. A set of spoons and some soapy water works.

I pay to have mine done though as all our bikes are tubed tires, and I have a bad track record of unmounting & re-mounting tires without damaging the tube.

You don't need a machine to remove or mount tires, especially motorcycle tires. A set of spoons and some soapy water works.

I pay to have mine done though as all our bikes are tubed tires, and I have a bad track record of unmounting & re-mounting tires without damaging the tube.

Really it's that easy? I am quite surprised. :eek:
Do you have a stand or a lift or something to stabilize the bike etc.?

Let's keep this simple.

1. If you have a stand and the tools to remove the front tire you can simply take it off and take it to any bike shop to have a new tire mounted.
2. If you don't then taking the bike to any shop they can dismount the wheel replace the tire and remount it. Expect it to be 1 hour labour plus the cost of the new tire basically.
3. As stated in 1. if you can dismount the tire you could do it yourself, with spoons and proper tools etc. but not an easy task for a first timer. The tire will need to be balanced which involves having a tire balancer and weights.

If you live in Niagara region I can help you out as I have a tire changer and balancer and will mount a tire and balance for a nominal fee.

If you live west end GTA take it to Adrian at Ace Moto Tech. I wouldn't want to risk marking up the front tire on a new zx6r. Everyone that I know that has taken their bikes to Adrian have always been happy and he will NOT scratch/chip the tire when mounting.
Any shop can do this for you, stealerships just charge up the pooper

You'd be willing to do it yourself with some knowledge and tools but question if you could trust a shop to do it? Huh?

Any shop or pretty much anyone that has the tools can do it for you.

You also need a compressor strong enough to pop the bead onto the rim properly. I used to do it manually...easier to just pay $20 and have a shop do it...or take it to a friend.

just take it to freke, he'll do the tire and inspect the rest of the bike too

Unless your riding track or off-road where your going through tires often forget all the tire spoon talk. It's easy once you get the hang of it but doing it once in a while is frustrating at best. Put it this way I've got MX tires down to taking around 10-12 minutes a tire but my street stuff I just take the wheels to a shop and let them deal with it.

Had a off day recently where I popped 4 tubes on 1 tire...after doing 3 tires effortlessly. Talk about wanting to light a bike on fire.

Back
Top Bottom