Buying a private bike, do I need to have it safetied to register? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a private bike, do I need to have it safetied to register?

This thread should have only been 2-3 posts long. Wow.

A safety is not required to transfer the vehicle into your name. You can transfer it UNFIT.
Agreed. But this is gtam, it ain't over yet. Five more people are gonna come in and post the same answer that is already posted, just to show how knowledgeable they are.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Agreed. But this is gtam, it ain't over yet. Five more people are gonna come in and post the same answer that is already posted, just to show how knowledgeable they are.

It'd be pretty boring around here if each thread only contained one perfectly factual response, and the discussion was closed.

It'd be pretty boring around here if each thread only contained one perfectly factual response, and the discussion was closed.
Yeah, much more exciting to have 12 perfectly factual responses and 32 sorta kinda right responses.

Yeah, much more exciting to have 12 perfectly factual responses and 32 sorta kinda right responses.

lol When several posts say more or less the same thing it allows the op to see a general agreement of opinions. not a bad thing.

How about the same person posting their same answer.... :)

No, I meant if I was to post the same thing again. The facts have been posted a few times over, but guess if you don't know, you don't know what are the actual facts and what are not. Poor newbs getting lots of misinformation with the valid information.

No, I meant if I was to post the same thing again. The facts have been posted a few times over, but guess if you don't know, you don't know what are the actual facts and what are not. Poor newbs getting lots of misinformation with the valid information.

agreed. im missing inreb.

Correcting misinformation is part of the discussion. Unfortunately misinformation is what prompts that, but hey, that's the way the world goes around.

And yes, I agree, Inreb would have something witty to say about this. The trees, to tool. Tool the trees.

Close @PrivatePilot lol.
I still laugh about spitting up my coffee at work while reading that.

And OP, although, as many have stated, you can buy the bike without safety and register it, in your case, unless you have someone knowledgeable with you, I would avoid it.
I am also going to repost my answer. I need 2-3 pages per thread minimum lol

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

It's my first bike, so I'm kind of limited to what I'm comfortable with getting. The Ninja 300 is my top pick, and the only other bike I know of which might be a good starter is the GS500

Yamaha R3, Honda CBR300R are both similar to the ninja 300.

You are still able to plate your bike with no safety. The Ministry will give you a temp sticker that is good for 2 weeks. This will give you time to safety your bike, or do anything to it so it will pass safety.

Catch 22, I'm fairly certain this is only if it's insured. Some insurance companies will ask for proof of Safety before agreeing to insure your vehicle.

You are still able to plate your bike with no safety. The Ministry will give you a temp sticker that is good for 2 weeks. This will give you time to safety your bike, or do anything to it so it will pass safety.

True if the bike is registered as FIT by the previous owner.

73777f9eeebcbf60580ed8e6fe32ffd1.jpg

Can't get a temp plate if the registration reads UNFIT

639b6a2f2a79b0eeac615e9b288f7d5f.jpg

Catch 22, I'm fairly certain this is only if it's insured. Some insurance companies will ask for proof of Safety before agreeing to insure your vehicle.

You are correct, the bike does need to be insured. I wouldn't recommend going this route because if you buy the bike, insure it, get a temp sticker and THEN find out it needs a hand full of things to pass safety you will be in a pickle. I personally think that if the seller won't safety the bike (even if you toss him the extra $$ t safety it) he/she might be hiding something.

Not necessarily a risk.
Sometimes a rider will let insurance lapse as they have not been riding their bike, and therefore that is the reason they are selling.
In order to get it certified for sale, they have to get it to a mechanic, which means they ether have to rent a trailer or pay for insurance to get it to the mechanic for safety. It's easier just to sell 'as is'.
A knowledgeable buyer can tell right away if a bike will pass safety.

X2 bike must be in a "FIT" status and also insured before you can get a temp. By the time you jump through all the hoops and expenses you might as well trailer it.

Yes it needs to be safetied in order to transfer its registration (you also need proof of insurance). You also need the UVIP package which the seller is supposed to provide. Whether the seller safeties the bike prior to sale is up to the buyer and seller to determine.

Nope.

I would like to agree with all the posts containing correct information in this thread and disagree with the ones with misleading information.

I will probably agree/disagree a few more times just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom