I Increased My Riding Season From 2 Months To 7 Months | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Increased My Riding Season From 2 Months To 7 Months

I generally ride from april to oct. If there's the odd warm day in february I might take the bike out for a quick ride around the neighborhood to shake off the cobwebs but I'll only do long rides apr-oct. Even if you wear a warm jacket and gloves, it's still unpleasant to have cold air hitting your face. Also tires have less grip on cold pavement. The hotter the weather, the more I like it. As far as I'm concerned it can't be too hot to ride (unless you ride in stop and go traffic). There's nothing like wearing a light mesh jacket and speeding down a country road in 30+ weather.
True.

But with the right gear, you won't feel the cold on your face either.

Usually when its cold,

Balaclava and thermal base layer (also for your toes and hands)
makes a WHOLE WORLD of difference.

Since i've been skiing in -30 degrees i learned what works and what doesnt...lol

We're all proud of you Peggy.
You've learned how to dress yourself. Congratulations.

What's next?

Trust him with a knife and fork?????
bgFQzbV.jpg

We're all proud of you Peggy.
You've learned how to dress yourself. Congratulations.

What's next?

Next up, riding with rain gear on stops you from getting wet when riding in the rain.

If my riding season was only 2 months long, motorcycling would be just a big f&^%inf waste of money.

Welcome to Canada, where it's been known to get cold from time to time.

Isn't it a little early for one of these threads? There isn't even a need for non-perforated gloves yet... temps are still in double digits most nights. It's still technically summer until Sept 22.

I ride until there is snow on the ground. I don't have heated gear.

I generally ride any time it's above ~7 degrees and not calling for torrential downpour.

People ride in that too. I was coming south on the 404 last night from Aurora (in the car) in the middle of that rain storm. Passed a rider on a cruiser with a passenger. No rain gear. I just thought "way to go"!

People ride in that too. I was coming south on the 404 last night from Aurora (in the car) in the middle of that rain storm. Passed a rider on a cruiser with a passenger. No rain gear. I just thought "way to go"!
I got passed by a guy lane splitting on on an SS on the 401 in heavy rain yesterday. I was doing 120 at the time.

No doubt, and I have as well, I just don't find it particularly enjoyable. Then again my pants aren't entirely waterproof (although they are supposed to be) and neither are my boots or gloves.

Speaking of scarves... Are we talking the ones we put the kids in or casual ones?

Are they special ones so they don't blow in the wind or possibly choke you while riding?

Ya, sorry. Again new here.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Get a thermal Buff. Pull the top half way over your head to cover ears and chin, tuck the bottom into the jacket. A cheap and easy solution.

via Tapatalk

Frequent stops.
The problem with cold is that it numbs you to feeling cold slowly as you ride.
When you stop feeling the cold it may be too late.

Speaking of scarves... Are we talking the ones we put the kids in or casual ones?

Are they special ones so they don't blow in the wind or possibly choke you while riding?

Ya, sorry. Again new here.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Whatever you do, make sure you bring your jacket and helmet when you try it on. I had a fleece neckwarmer that was too snug under the top button of the jacket.
When I get a chance I'll post a pic of the one I use.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

i do short rides (commute to work) on any day that isn't below 4 degrees and snowing. gotta say when i had a carborated bike it was a huge pain in the *** to get it started when its been sitting outside in near freezing temps for 8+ hours.

warm gloves are probably the most important. i can get away with a fleece sweater and leather jacket and my head is protected by a full face helmet with shield. but damn do you really feel your hands getting super cold fast.

Lies...

I wore rain gear and I was still able to pour water out from my boots when I arrived

some days and trips no gear is gonna keep you dry

I've got some tourmaster waterproof stuff, pants, jacket and gloves
and a TomTom GPS that is supposed to be completely sealed

recently did 500 km in torrential rain on the east coast
was completely saturated through to the inner layer
GPS fogged up to be unreadable

this with gear that prior had never failed to keep me dry

Back
Top Bottom